All reviewssri lankan architectgarden roomvanilla roomcomfy bed and pillowsalready planning our next visitluxurious stayseafood platterdon t hesitategreat propertythe property managerwould love to visit againrooms are gorgeousexceptional staffluxury boutique hotelwonderful dayspeaceful placecrashing waves
Reviewed June 23, 2018

Tucked in the beach and main road highway of Hikkaduwa, this awesome place has wonderful things to offer for the visitors. The open, big spacious rooms, bach facing balconies, and sit outs, clean pool is all something out of the world. So many positives that I can think of, just the best hosts, extremely clean place. The pool is clean and overlooking the sea. The bathrooms and rooms are beautiful, minimalistically done, with king sized comfortable beds. Apart from one Garden room all the others have direct sea views. There is a direct approach to the beach from the Villa for the guests who can have a private time there. Supply of beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas, sand toys for kids, other games like cards/ carrom/ board games for the adults are available. The room has a big TV as well.

The food was awesome, especially the Sri Lankan Breakfast. The breakfast is filling and sumptuous with continental and sri lankan options. The place has a cozy feel, with beautiful furnishings and fittings. The tea is served in the evening with snacks complimentary to the guests... they have a limited set of options for dinner, which needs to be told in advance for the preparations. The place is located close to a lot of lovely restaurants at walkable distances as well, in case you want to try other seafood options...

We absolutely had a lovely time and would definitely visit again. Cant think of any negatives or areas of improvement. Keep up the lovely place and would love to visit again...

Room Tip: Go for the Sea facing rooms... and not the garden view for the best experience...
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Sherry A, Public Relations Manager at Villa Saffron Hikkaduwa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2018

Thank you for the warm review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the Villa Saffron experience and we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

We have just got home from a 13 night off season stay at this hotel and it is superb. The staff can’t do enough for you and are constantly on hand they are so friendly and happy this hotel is a pleasure to stay at. The rooms are all large and very clean we originally booked the garden room which is beautiful but a little noisy so upgraded to the vanilla room for ten nights which has a wonderful view of the ocean . The food is sublime both for dinner and breakfast. The grounds are well maintained with a pristine swimming pool. The hotel is right on the beach so no need for shoes. I can not fault this hotel and it’s staff . If you are viewing it now don’t hesitate to book it’s fantastic.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple

Thank you! It was a great pleasure having you both with us. Come back again soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

The rooms are nice and spacious . We were in garden room but I found the other rooms much better as they were more spacious and better view. The cook is very good at his job and baked a lovely cake in the evening for guests. He was nice to share the receipe also .

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to drop us a review. We do hope you visit us again.

Reviewed May 29, 2018

Reading all of the positive comments by previous travelers, it seems almost impossible that a place can be this great and loved this much.

All of it is true!

Coming to Villa Saffron is like coming home to the warm care of family you didn’t know you had. They are there to attend to your every need and request, yet do so in a way that is un-intrusive. If you wish to be left alone, you can enjoy the beautiful property, the serenity of the ocean, and may forget that anyone else is home.
Yohan, the property manager, Chef Chaminda, and the front-of-house staff: Rajita, Himasha, and Kussun, are the friendly faces you see everyday and bring the real charm and comfort to the hotel. You occasionally encounter the back-of-house staff, and they are equally as welcoming.

The property is only two-years old, so everything is new, yet has been designed and decorated so well as to have the laid-back, beach house feel. I stayed in the Cinnamon room and it was outstanding! The room is spacious, the bed is comfortable, and the air conditioning and ceiling fan kept the room at a perfect temperature, a real perk with the higher humidity this time of year. There is also nothing quite like falling asleep to the sound of the crashing waves outside this first floor patio door. It would be a total disservice to both you the reader, and the property, to not mention the bathroom. The bathroom is nice and large, but the open-air shower is huge!!! After a long day of sightseeing and walking around Hikkaduwa, you can’t wait to take a shower. The rain head shower feels incredible, and being exposed to the outdoor rock and water basin garden turns an everyday activity into a unique and peaceful experience. You don’t know you need this shower in your life, but you really do.

I mentioned Chef above, but I did not mention his food. He is a culinary artist when it comes to his preparation of local dishes. The different curries, rice’s, vegetables, fruits, and spices that he puts together are a magical explosion of flavors for the pallet. While the printed menu looks small, it turned out it was merely a suggestion during my visit. As I read and researched about Sri Lankan dishes, I would ask Chef about where I could find them in town. He simply replied, “I will make it for you,” and then, depending on the dish, it would be served at my table for dinner one night or breakfast the next morning. Fascinating and wonderful local favorites: Wood Apple, Sri Lankan Crab Curry, Lady-Fingers (Okra), and Jackfruit curry, were just some of the highlights of what Chef surprised me with during my vacation. His food is so good, I ended up eating at the hotel every night; and something different every evening, with the exception of his Seafood Mullagawany soup, but that’s another story.

It’s rare that a property does so many things well. Typically, there are things that are just “ok,” while others are great. Villa Saffron is not a typical hotel. In all the places I’ve traveled over the years and, at least for the type of vacation I needed during this trip, Villa Saffron was…perfect! The proximity to the beach and town seems just right. The comfort and décor feel like being at a friend’s very nice house – that happy, easy-going friend. The food rivals some of the nicest restaurants I have eaten in, it just so happens you’re eating on the patio with sandals or bare feet. You fall asleep at night and wake up in the morning to the sound of the Ocean. Breakfast and dinner are served on the patio, with the beautiful garden and crashing waves as the backdrop. The staff are there to greet you good morning, care for you like family during the day, and wish you good night. This property is not just a hotel stay, it is a travel experience.

I don’t typically return to a place once I visit since I believe there are so many wonderful sites to see around the world. As this is not your usual hotel, Villa Saffron is exceptional and I plan on returning again and again.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem like they would be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
Sherry A, Public Relations Manager at Villa Saffron Hikkaduwa, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Thank you very much for this wonderful and warm review. We at Villa Saffron are humbled by all that is said and will continue to strive for excellence in all areas.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 28, 2018

Just returned from an amazing stay at Villa Saffron. Yohan and staff ensured my stay was beyond satisfactory. Meals were remarkable and served on the patio looking out at the ocean. When you stay, you must have the number 2 with curry shrimp for breakfast and the curry crab and grilled vegetables for dinner. Villa Saffron has an amazing view of the ocean, it's a perfect location. Wifi worked beyond my expectations. Everything was extremely clean from the front gate to the ocean. Thank you Villa Saffron staff for making me feel like royalty while on my mini vacation. I'm look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: There aren't any bad rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christina S

Thank you and we are so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you again soon.