“Charming but needs a little love!”

Nippon Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Colombo
“Charming but needs a little love!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is in a great spot and we could park the car out front conveniently. The staff are really friendly. Everything is old and shabby but maybe not surprising given it's the cheapest beachfront hotel with a pool along that strip. HOWEVER... the pool is not as good as it looks in the photos, it's old and not that clean and our young daughter kept getting little cuts on her feet from the uneven tiles. Not great!

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor near the sea looked nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I feel my title sums up my experience at Nippon Villa pretty well! We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights, and there are definitely some areas that management need to work on to improve their standards. Needless to say, these areas did not stop me from enjoying my time in Hikkaduwa/Sri Lanka.

The presence of management in the hotel is indeed scattered, but it is there. Lets just say there isn't someone sitting in an office all day at your beckon call. The hotel seems to be run by a family, so there are roughly 3 men who float around during the day/evening. Two of them are lovely and I think may be brothers. They always made an effort to say hello to us when we saw them. One in particular served us for breakfast and dinner a number of times, and he was always jovial. The other guy that helps them is a little more guarded. He greeted us upon arrival and I wasn't overly satisfied with how we were welcomed (he didn't have the same charisma or friendliness). He organised a day tour to Kandy for us too, and was very vague with details. Had I seen one of the other two men I would have spoken to them, but because they were not there at the time I had no choice. Despite this, the day tour was great.

Upon first impression, the hotel is dated for sure. Our room had a number of faults in it too, but again nothing that stopped us from being able to perform "daily functions". An example of things that needed fixing included our bathroom door (which didn't shut properly), bathroom fixtures (taps and shower head were loose), our fridge (which kept turning on and off), and our air conditioning unit which made a "truck like" noise throughout the night. One thing I was surprised about was that there was no "welcome" book in the room with details such as how to access the wifi, what time breakfast was, how to go about getting laundry done, how to make international telephone calls, etc etc. These were things we learnt along the way through various staff members in passing.

Breakfast at the hotel is great and just what you need. Its simple: fresh fruit, eggs, toast, jam, local sausages, tea and coffee, and on some mornings they had local food such as noodles and curry doughnuts. You can eat as much as you like and you eat by the pool side overlooking the beach. Very nice.

The swimming pool is definitely a draw card for staying at the hotel. It overlooks the beach, and there are some tables and chairs you can sit on to enjoy catching the sun rays. If you head down the stairs you are right on the beach, and there are around 7-8 sun loungers to laze on. Yes - some of the tiles in the swimming pool do cut your feet/hands if you swipe them at the wrong angle! I came away with several cuts on my toes on the first day of swimming, but solved the problem by swimming with flip flops on. There was someone cleaning the pool every morning, but I must agree with the "oiliness" of the water after about 3 or 4 days of swimming. I'm not sure how often it was treated.

The restaurant at the hotel is simple, yet satisfying. We ate there most nights for dinner because it was easy. If we wanted anything in particular (e.g. a seafood platter) we went down the road to a different restaurant that had been recommended. At times it took a while for the food to come out, and sometimes the service was slow. The guy who served us most nights was very pleasant, but spoke very little English. Still, he was lovely and only willing to help.

While on the subject of staff at the hotel, I can honestly say that they are all genuinely lovely people who want to make you feel like you're at home. We got to know some of the guys very well, and they became good friends during our time there. I had to remind myself that I wasn't staying in a highly westernised part of the world or fancy hotel, and therefore the service would be much different to that that I might expect from a hotel in Paris or London. Its not hard to see that you aren't somewhere fancy, but I felt like other holidayers at the hotel felt this should be the case. Some of them were very rude in their body language and in the way they spoke to staff. Some of these guys are doing 3 or 4 different jobs at the hotel, and this isn't their fault. They could in a day bounce between breakfast duty, pool cleaning, maintenance, errand running, laundry prep - the list goes on. So if they don't immediately jump for you, then that's probably why. They're trying to juggle about 10 things at once. And don't forget; their English is very broken, so trying to explain something isn't as straight forward for either them, or for you. Patience is a virtue.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and while we probably wouldn't return here for another stay, I wouldn't say that people should avoid staying here. For sure management need to make some changes so that things run more smoothly, but you pay for what you get; its as simple as that. You make the best of what you get too. I feel sorry for those who didn't enjoy their stay here. Having taken a walk down the beach though to look at some of the other accommodation options available, I can't say that anything stuck out as "glamorous" or "high quality". Most places are just as simple as the Nippon Villa. Hikkaduwa/Sri Lanka is beautiful in its own unique way, and that's what you're there to see and experience!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebekah S
Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

From Hotel website pictures people could easily mislead. I think the pictures were taken long years ago... Now this hotel standard is terrible...

Me & my friends had a day out on 30th March 2014, We used pool for a Half and hour & feel very uncomfortable all of us had a injuries / cuts due to broken tile edges. Food was oki but service is terrible, we didn't get plates on our table & I personally went to their kitchen & brought plates for us, But when the bills issued they had charge a service charge as well.k

We had a Day Room and the water was very stinky & discolored, bathroom need urgent repair & Room is very very small,

Only Good reason is easy access to beach, But nowadays you can find more better Hotel than this unworthy hotel.

This is so terrible hotel so please don't go to this hotel !!!

Room Tip: If you want to stay here, that's the worst decision u made !!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PathumS

Travelers are raving about these Hikkaduwa hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We only stayed one night in Hikkaduwa on our way to the south coast, and after staying here I'm very glad that we didn't decide to stay longer.

The 'management' at this hotel is scatty to say the least. There was no communication between staff and no one seemed to know what was going on.

The best part of the hotel is actually the corridor between the hotel front and the pool and beach area, which features a row of mangrove trees with coloured lanterns hanging in them. It's all downhill as soon as you go inside - they obviously have a massive damp problem which they would appear to be continually painting over, but the damp, almost wet bedding and mildew smell gives the game away.

It's a shame - with a bit of regular maintenance and some different staff, it could be really cool. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: It might pay to try and get an upstairs room - they might not suffer from the damp as much.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lisaminx
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

The only good points about this hotel are the location and the breakfast. The hotel itself is rank, the staff seem totally disorganised; the rooms are just naff...damp and unpleasant, they actually smelt of damp. One of our group even felt he had to sleep fully clothed with his hood up!! Definitely the worst place we had the misfortune to stay in.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I found accommodation in SL abit of a mystery - far more expensive than I would expect. I didn't want a guest house or a luxury resort so I thought this would be a good compromise... Positives were the breakfast and the staff who were very friendly. The location was also fine. The pool is somewhat inviting but didn't exactly feel the cleanest. It was lovely going to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing but the room was below standard. Everything was damp (perhaps unavoidable). While the sheets and towels smelt clean, they were covered in old stains. The bathroom worked ok but really needed a complete renovation. I had 2 doors to my room and both were flimsy with rubbish locks and so I felt quite unsafe at night. There was no safe in the room. I don't think I can recommend this place until it has a complete re-furb!

Room Tip: Get one facing away from the road and away from the bar!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Everything is average, except for the internet, which is VERY slow and inconsistent. When I cut myself deep by a tale in their pool, they had no first aid kit. The manager, Anisha (sorry, if I misspell your name) was nice and helpful, though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple