“Great place to start your trip”

Drifters Hotel and Beach Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Bristol
“Great place to start your trip”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

This is a great place to stay. Lalith and his wife are extremely welcoming, the food is good, the rooms are clean and it is on a part of the beach which is wide and right in front of the waves. (although busier than further south along the beach, but still quiet).

As importantly if you are planning to see much else of the island then Lalith is a great guy to organise a trip with. He consistently booked us good places to stay at prices better than we could have got ourselves. Likewise things like white water rafting I am pretty sure we paid way under the "retail" price. He even rang us a few times as we were on our trip to make sure that everything was ok. Sumit, the driver he provided us with was great, always reliable, useful, and friendly but not intrusive. His english was functional.

All round we had a great stay at Drifters and on the rest of our holiday which was in no small part down to Lalith - Thank you!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twp00u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
uk
Reviewed February 18, 2010

fully enjoyed my time at Drifters hotel, the rooms were nice and clean from budget through to lux, the service was excellent and so was the food! the owner Lalith and his lovely wife did everything they could to make our stay even more pleasant they also offered airport taxi and various tours at very reasonable prices!! the location too was also excellent right on the main beach and yards from the best surf breaks, i would reccomend this hotel to anyone even families with young children.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Ok, Its like you are part of the owners family. No TV but great AC! You will be tired anyway. You are on the beach between two surfing schools. Great food, best in town really! Rent scooters across the road, snorkel, travel and tours available on site. I am going there again. Heck I would live there!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daviprice
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My partner and I stayed for 2 weeks in December and had a great time. We were in an airconditioned room opening onto the garden, which was simply furnished but comfortable (decent matress, which can be hard to find in Sri Lanka!), hot water shower and very very clean. The garden is a nice alternative place to sunbathe or read away from the hassles of the beachside touts and sellers. Plus there is a nice covered upstairs sitting area overlooking the beach where I could plug in my laptop and enjoy the free wifi while watching the action on the beach. The hotel restaurant, which is between the beach and the garden, also has a couple of plugs that computer users can use while having a snack etc. The wifi connection was a real plus, no need to traipse off to a cyber cafe. The connection was fine for most things (I tried streaming a TV show, but it was too slow). The restaurant was excellent, good seafood, nicely cooked (we found that a lot of the local restaurants overcook their seafood, I love calamari but hate getting rings of rubber). The drifter's chef served seafood that was still succulent, not dry. The position of the hotel is perfect, in the heart of the best part of the Hikkaduwa beach, but far enough away from the popular night time bars that you don't get kept awake by the music. But the best feature of Drifters is its owner, Lalith. He and his wife really look after guests personally, he is so helpful and knowledgeable of everything there is to see and do locally and around the country. He has a travel business too and after staying at Drifters, we went on a 6-day tour. Lalith spent a lot of time with us going through all the options for the tour, there are more action-oriented options or more laid back (we were interested in some action like rafting). He also spelt out the different types of hotel, costs for more inclusive or less inclusive packages. We were really happy with the package we ended up taking and with our driver. Every day, Lalith was on the phone checking that things were ok and when we had a bit of a problem with our room at one of the hotels, he talked to the owner and helped sort it out. I cannot recommend Drifters highly enough. For a medium-level hotel it has top-level service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uppoaway
UK
Reviewed January 11, 2010

I walked into this hotel and asked for a deluxe room. I was quoted $45 a night which I thought was a bit expensive when I saw the facilities (or lack of). Their website advertises a deluxe room as having a sea view, with a TV and fridge. My "deluxe" room was tiny, it had a view of a brick wall, a single bed and a chest of drawers. That was it. I walked past the kitchen and it looked nasty and unhiegenic. I ended up at the Coral Sands which is a bit more expensive but in a different league to this hotel. My advice, avoid and look for something better. This is a grotty hotel with no facilities, (not even a swimming pool), that isn't cheap with poor rooms. If my room was a deluxe room, I wouldn't have liked to have seen the standard rooms.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank trueblueUK
London
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My boyfirend and I (26 and 27) travelled around Sri Lanka in November with my dad who is working out there at the moment. We decided to spend a few days alone during our stay and chose Drifters as we'd read good reviews. We stayed 3 nights and on the last night my dad came to stay with us there (who is used to the 5* life out there!).

The place was great, service outstanding, the staff couldn't do enough for you, which seems true of all Sri Lankans. Lalith the proprietor even got fresh seafood for us and we chose from a big pot of live crabs and giant prawns even though we were slightly out of season and two of a only a few people at the hotel! That really made it for us as we're big foodies...and the price was amazing, we were expecting a bit of a blowout being as we had so much lovely fresh food.

The rooms were newly refurbed and very clean, especially as we experienced a bit of rain which means water and sand on the floors...the staff were quick to offer to clean and mop floors for us.

When we left to head North, Lalith put us in touch with a friend of his in the mountains as we wanted to do some white water . We got a great deal through him. My dad has since gone back to tell his colleagues about the place.

We're hoping to visit again before my dad's post out there comes to an end, we'd definately go back.

Did I mention the giant turtles down the beach? : )

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed December 9, 2009

A group of 6 of us ( 20 somethings) stayed at Drifters for 4 nights. The place was right on the beach, and in the perfect location to town. Lalith, the manager could have not been more helpful and friendly for the entire holiday - seeing to all our travel needs and sightseeing. Along with running a very friendly staff and keeping the hotel always perfectly clean.

I recommend stay in for the beach BBQ one night - fresh Lobster, crab and Jumbo Prawns.

Beautiful part of the world, and definantly recommend Drifters to friends, we are looking forward to next trip back

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends