“cheap, perfect location and very spacious rooms”

Drifters Hotel and Beach Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Reviewed May 31, 2013

nothing flash about this hotel but very spacious room, and ok shower (normal sri lankan style) and a great swimming pool. right on the beach most rooms have beach view. perfect location for all the bars,restaurants. very friendly manager even let us stay 2 hrs over check out time since he was quiet. this was very nice of him. all in all a great hotel for our 1 night stay for me to go and do some diving.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Drifters Hotel and Beach Restaurant

Reviewed May 13, 2013

we spent one week in april in hiikkaduwa. this hotel had it all for us. we booked the beachfront room. the room was clean and in good shape, and the view of course "true beachfront" right next to the a frame surf spot.
the food was really superb, you've gotta try the curry! the staff was really more than friendly. we had so many laughs with them. can't way to go there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Cute little place, beach is nice and staff is friendly. Very basic place, but has AC, so cant complain about that with the price being only $44. Would definately stay again when going through Hikka. If you want resort, look elsewhere, but if you easy, inexpensive and other nice beach places nearby, this is a good option.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have spent a week here at drifters (5th May to 13th May 2013) and the only thing i could fault is the internet drops out now and again, but you would expect that in most places in Sri Lanka. The place is spotless and rooms cleaned evryday if you want. I recommend staying at this hotel for sure. The food was great, the hotel staff very friendly and willing to help with what ever you need. it is an great place to just kick back and watch the waves roll in all day if thats what you want. its a good spot on hikkaduwa beach, close to bars and night life and the pool is a bonus. i would definately stay here again, but probably in high season as there is not too much night life during the week in off season. thanks again everyone at drifters, hope to see you again one day soon.

Room Tip: dont be tight and get a pool view room, splash out one of the two sea view rooms. A bit more but y...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Beeejay
DriftersHotel, Owner at Drifters Hotel and Beach Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for your kind review and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. To update you on the Wi-Fi situation, we have now changed service providers. We were with the government telecoms company which gave best service when Wi-Fi started around the country, but now they have been lowering caps on usage and overloading bandwidth so we have switched to a private provider so hope you will find things have improved if you come to visit us again!
Lalith Priyankara

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Lalith, the owner/manager, was very friendly and welcoming when we arrived. It was after schools Easter vac so it was quiet there and he upgraded us to a family room with no extra charge, so that we would have more space and space to put our surfboards. Breakfasts were excellent and his staff were very well trained, better than other similar guesthouses I've stayed in in Sri Lanka. The rooms were clean, beers cold, and it was in the perfect location, right on the beach and about 50 meters from the main a frame surf spot.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Drifters hotel was absolutely perfect, from the minute myself & my friend were picked up at the airport by friendly drifters staff we were made feel so welcome, when we arrived at the hotel after our drive we were greeted by the owner Lalith and all his staff-there was a lovely friendly laid back feeling that made us feel very at home! The hotel is right on the beach and we spent endless afternoons chilling with beers there and at night we would enjoy the most amazing sunsets! The food there was absolutely delicious & we had some our nicest meals there...breakfast was perfect also and such good value as was included in our deal!
The owner Lalith even happily organized transport for us for our second part of the trip when we left Hikkaduwa-nothing was ever too much trouble and again he provided us with excellent value for money & an extremely friendly driver which made our onward trip extra enjoyable as he was flexible and happy to go with the flow for us!
I cannot say enough about Drifters and all the staff there...we did not want to leave but left with only good memories! So if you are thinking of staying here my advice is ..DO IT!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank aisfinlay
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at Drifters for 5 nights at the beginning of this month. We were excited after reading all of the reviews about the service and how great Lalith is. Well, we were very disappointed. The room was not that great (toilet wasn't working all the time, loads of ants in the bathroom). For $65/night there are MUCH better accomodations on the beach. Lalith, the owner, only seemed to be interested in how much money he could make off of you. He continued to tell you how he could offer you this and that, but the service at his own hotel wasn't very good. The manager was a grumpy old man who hardly ever smiled and didn't seem to want to serve you. Overall, I wouldn't stay here again and don't recommend this hotel for the price. It's just average really. I think all you are paying for is the swimming pool, which isnt that big of a deal. I've stayed in many places in Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, so believe me when I say I understand 3rd world countries and service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank coryjay2210

Thank you for your feedback, and very sorry you did not have a satisfying experience at Drifters. I have taken steps to rectify the issues you raised. I did not realise that the toilet was an ongoing issue for you. Staff told me that you had complained about the toilet (on a day when I was away from the hotel) and that the problem had been fixed. Since I didn't hear any more about it I assumed this was the case. I realise that I should have followed up on the complaint to confirm that it was OK. The toilet apparatus has now been replaced. I was very disappointed to hear your views of the restaurant manager (who I employed from one of the big hotels in Hikkaduwa especially for his experience and service). He has now been removed from this position. And I am sorry that you misunderstand my actions and think I am thinking about money and trying to sell things. I can assure you that this is not the case. My intention is to give guests the best holiday in Sri Lanka and offer them all the options for things to do and see while they are here. I hope you give us another chance some day to change your opinion of us.
Lalith Priyankara