“Poor start but only got better.”

Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
“Poor start but only got better.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Arrived and were taken up to room 329 and was gobsmacked , had read about damp rooms before we went but thought it must be exaggerated but it wasn't.
The room was literally dripping ,walls and floor were wet and bed was seriously damp ,no way I could sleep in that after having chest problems yrs ago.
Am not one for complaining but had to this time and housekeeping came up and all they did was mop the floor which was a waste of time and were even laughing at us as went out the door which I was not happy about but anyway said this was not good enough and eventually got moved to 412 which was like being in a different hotel.
Bad design of the open area between the room and balcony which goes down through all floors has obviously let damp into the structure of building and needs sorting.
Now to the better points ,food was exceptional as was the service in the main restaurant and the girls on the door even remembered our room no after only being in there a couple of times.
Plenty of sunbeds under the palm trees which was relaxing and no disruption from sellers on the beach, even had squirrels trying to pinch my juice ,cheeky things !.
Would return if was Definately put on 4th floor but not any lower.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alan S
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for staying with us & our engineering team currently working to find solution to the condensation problem common to many areas of the Island.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed our culinary expertise & personalized service provided by our staff. Our team will be happy to serve you once again & you may visit our A la Carte restaurants offers Steaks, Kebabs & fresh Seafood from the area.

While thanking you for staying with us, we certainly hope to welcome you back at our resort for yet another memorable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I was at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa from 16th May (Dinner) to 18th May (Breakfast) for my honeymoon, and I must say me and my wife was so disappointed with everything. First of all the room looked good but when we turn off the AC water started to spill and the floor was wet, then being a honeymoon couple we were expecting some sort of compliment from the hotel and it was also mentioned in the brochure that we are bound to get a Candle Light dinner and also chocolates and I think fruits for the honeymoon package that we booked but we didn't got any, and none of the staff members were keen on giving these to us as well. So that was poor service and really really disappointing for us and we didn't enjoy the two days that we spent at the hotel. The biggest mistake that the hotel staff made was sending us a flower bouquet on the second day with a cleaner who tried to get into the room, and this bouquet was on a beer box, which clearly said Lion Beer, and the bouquet was an old one and we really thought that our friends were doing joke to us, but surprisingly this was sent to us by the house keeping manager of the hotel and as I had a home coming to attend , and being a civilized man I didn't want to and I didn't had time to go and yell at the manager .... so that was all but disappointing by Chaaya and I wish to request all who are expecting to visit the hotel to check their packages several times.

I was checking the brochure this morning and it also said that we could have used the spa as well, and I am surprised to see no one updating us on any of these when we were checking in ...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TharinduKande
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with us during your stay.

We will look in to every detail & take appropriate actions. We are constantly reviewing our standards and always endeavor to improve our product and service offerings.

We hope you will continue to stay with us, giving us the opportunity to indulge you in hospitality at its best.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This was the second hotel which was chosen for our vacation in srilanka . We reached here after a day tour to gayle . . It was very hot . But as soon as we reached they gave us cold towels and papaya juice which was very refreshing .

The hotel looked a little under construction somehow may be the color of the stone used . But it was different . But as soon as we enetered the room it was huge. and the balcony was almost out the world . It was huge with a big place to sit. and the view was almost magical. with the sea right next to the hotel.

We directly decided to got the swimming pool . It was not very big but that time there were not many people somehow in the pool so enjoyed.

I dont remeber the name of the bar , but it was a sheesha bar and we loved the sheesha and my wife enjoyed the drinks here . The waiters here were very courteous , and prompt too.

The beach here was kind of dirty and since it was open to public there were many people. Like somebody who was selling grass to feed the biiig turtle which was there on the beach somehow.

Somehow we found that the buffet was very vast but we struggled to eat from that . So food was a little disappointing at this place .

This property was not very big but the rooms and swimming pool made it worth.

Definately recommended.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are sea facing but try and take the upper ffloors . from there the view is gor...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kapil4navision
Thank you for the comment on trip advisor, glad to know you have enjoyed at the Hotel.

We offer A la Carte options such as Seafood, Grills, Snacks & Vegetarian specialties in our Restaurants & our culinary team will be happy prepare any dish of your choice.

Hope to serve you soon at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa once again in near future !
hyderabad
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband, daughter and I stayed at Chaaya Tranz from 17th to the 22nd of May, 14. Our experience was out of this world. The location of the Hotel is the perfect. To be able to watch the ocean from your room with beautiful sunsets was magical. The room was clean and large with a balcony to enjoy the view. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful. They want out of their way and helped us. We couldn't have asked for a better holiday. I would definitely want to go back .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Team Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa, pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for staying with us & for the wonderful review on the Trip Advisor.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2014

If I was ten years younger I would have been blown away by the Chaaya, but I'm not and I wasn't. The Chaaya served a purpose. I'm not sure I would go back or use it for any longer than I did.

Like others have pointed out my room, and clothes felt cold and clammy (fine for two nights) and you don't have to look too closely to see signs of wear and tear and damp. During the day it was very obvious the walls were damp and ceiling covered in mould.

The room and bathroom was large and there was a spectacular view from the balcony, with a banquette to lounge on which was a nice touch. Only one spare plug socket which grates on the basis people tend to carry chargers, hair dryers with them.

We booked full board but there are a number of 'looks good' fish restaurants along the main strip. Dining room done well. Starters a bit hit and miss and more obviously recycled from earlier in the day than other hotels; mains were good; tasty, cooked competently and I enjoyed my selection of (North Indian-esque) curries. I did feel it was more limited than I had elsewhere and given Hikkaduwa proximity to the coast I had hoped for more seafood. Having said that I'm greedy and what was there for the mains was done well.

HOWEVER the Saturday night buffet was superb with a fantastic selection of food stations: fish, prawns, tandoori, gordambora roti, meat, kottu. It was nice to see such a large selection of Sri Lankan cuisine rather than the normal lacklustre international offering. The breakfast quality and selection was high and varied.

Location is glorious, views camera/Facebook/Instagram-tastic and the staff in our experience helpful. We were definitely pushed to buy things: tickets to a ' private' cocktail party (with "no Russians"), pre-book lobster, juice from the juice bar etc when we were sunbathing.

We booked through Trailfinders and paid £160 for two nights which was cheaper than their residents rates on offer (£107 per night). I split the bill with my partner so £80 seemed very reasonable but any more and I would have felt short changed.

In summary: it's a large package resort which does what it says on the tin. Did the job for two nights, wouldn't want to stay longer. Can get and have got more for my money.

Room Tip: Try for a sea view- it's glorious!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank girlinagirdle
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, glad you have enjoyed Dinner buffet & other culinary experiences offered.

We have discussed with the team regards to point mentioned by you & rectification will be done immediately. We take comments as an opportunity to improve our offerings & service levels.

We would like to thank for you for feedback and hope to welcome you back to Chaaya Tranz one day very soon.
Bowral
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Great hotel, lovely rooms overlooking pool, although could have done without disco noise on weekend. Great food - varied and fresh and wonderful ambience in dining room. Pool a little too tepid for Australian tastes, but ocean was pleasant and nice to share it with turtles. Watch out for tours arranged with local tuktuk drivers at gates - they seem to deliberately confuse currencies, but staff at hotel tried to be helpful. Free yoga on lawn was also welcome.

Room Tip: If there on a weekend, forego the view for the comparative quiet of a room at rear.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynne1944
We thank you for the comment on Trip Advisor & team at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa glad that we have delivered what you expected.

Please let us know your next visit to inform our Yoga master. Chef's are glad the you really enjoyed Tranz culinary experiences will make sure your next visit even more memorable.

Whilst thanking you for sharing your positive feedback we eagerly look forward to having you with us again.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel just by the beach. Pretty colourful too.
We were warmly greeted by a Russian guest relations officer. Checking in was smooth. But thereafter the service was terrible.
They simple didn't do anything we asked.
We wanted few wine glasses to the room. Called twice they said they are sending it, but it never came.
In the morning they had a problem with the water supply to the room, asked for assistance, but maintenance guy never showed up.
They promise to arrange our room while we were at breakfast, that never happened too.
The restaurant was so crowded. Had a time finding a place to sit. Young inexperience waiters were totally clueless.
To be honest it was one of the worst service I have got from a hotel staff.
Well, despite of their bad service food was great. Really enjoyed the meals. They also had a vast variety of food.
Management should recruit and train the staff to cope with crowded situations. Otherwise the hotel would be a disgrace to all the Cinnamen hotels.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Danushka J
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, we would like to apologies for the shortfall in rooms & service as outlined in your review as you mentioned.

We will investigate and retraining our team to ensure that such issues does not reoccur. I would like to thank for you for all of your feedback and the team hope to welcome you back to Hotel one day very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hikkaduwa
Coral Sands Hotel
Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel
#3 of 27 in Hikkaduwa
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka

Been to Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon? Share your experiences!