“great place great food great people”

Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Reviewed January 13, 2014

i will definitely select CTH as my next day out.food was excellent .I experienced a superior customer service during our stay . and we got opportunity to take part in a birthday celebaration of a foreign guest which was hosted by the hotel staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa. We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and our warm hospitality. It is great to know our culinary expertise exceeded your expectations. We eagerly look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed over the weekend ,.i would say amazing hotel by any standard set in hospitality trade ,.starting with guest relationship ,From the front office Manager and the staff towards all levels ,.reflected excellent customer care ,.layout and the positioning of the hotel was great ,.room comfort and design is above any standards ,.great food over all the meals we enjoyed ,.infused with lots of varieties ,.at last we enjoyed immensely and hope to return for another stay very soon .

Room Tip: If to enjoy the view,.select rooms ,.2nd floor onwards
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa. We are indeed pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. While thanking you for staying with us, we certainly hope to welcome you back at our resort for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights n January 2014, and upon arrival got given a complimentary upgrade to their master suite! Spacious rooms with very good amenities. Service was good, a little slow in the poolside due to number of visitors. The beach can get quite crowded and runs parallel to the main road, however, the other side of the hotel has a nicer and quieter beach stretch. This hotel also has a resident 'turtle whisperer', Gamini, who feeds these giant turtles at 9am and 3pm directly on the hotel's beach - a phenomenal experience! He charges between Rs1000-Rs2000 for every feed, depending on how much time you spend with the turtles. Not to be missed if you are staying at this hotel! All in all, a great stay!

Room Tip: All rooms have a beach/pool view although you will still get a bit of noise from the main motorway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We eagerly look forward to welcoming you back at our resort for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed for three nights on our last leg of our Sri Lanka holiday in this resort. I personally enjoyed our stay here. Our room has a nice view of the pool and the beach so we got lucky to have that. Great photo opt for sunset too. It was a descent room, clean, spacious for two, hot and cold shower, okayish cable channels, buffet selection is great, staffs are very helpful. Definitely would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: High floor towards the beach rooms are nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Reviewed January 6, 2014

In December 2011 we (my mother, myself and my wife) went to Chaaya Blu.
In December 2012 we (my mother, myself and my wife) went to Chaaya Tranz. During my stay in Chaaya Tranz in 2012, I had to move rooms as the floors used to get very wet and in general the room was very damp. One could feel the dampness in the bed linen and there was a musty smell in the room. When I first complained I was asked by the hotel staff if I had turned the air-conditioning on. This was a really stupid comment to make as air-conditioning is something the occupant of the room has a choice of turning on or off and also regulating the temperature to his or her individual preferences. The food offered daily during my stay in 2012 (breakfast and dinner) was excellent in terms of quality and variety.

Our stay in 2013.
Period of Stay: 29.12.2013 to 05.01.2014 (departure on 5th). 7 Nights
No of rooms: 2

Booking:
My mother made the booking (Voucher Number ZR0014370) on 03.09.2013 and paid RS. 105,000 as an advance. She specifically asked for two rooms on the 4th floor which were adjoining each other which was confirmed at the time of the booking.

On arrival 2 rooms on the first floor had been allocated which were adjoining each other.
I was able to have a room on the 4th floor on arrival but my mother had to take the allocated room 119 on the 1st floor. She moved the next day to the 4th floor and I occupied room 430 and my mother was in room 433 which were almost next to each other.

Comments about our stay:
Room 430 was damp. When we moved in the AC was at 22 deg. going full blast. The curtains had not been cleaned and had black marks where the folds are. I pointed this out to housekeeping supervisor. I am not sure if the black areas were dirt or mould. Again when I reported the dampness I was asked if I had turned the air-conditioning on. I moved from room 430 to room 406 which was better but this room was also damp but the floor was not so wet compared to the other room. It is impossible to sleep with the AC going full blast in the evenings as it is far too cold. My mother who is 78 and her companion who is 80 could not sleep with the AC on full blast so her room also started to have water on the floor. Imagine what could have happened if they slipped in the night on the water on the floor when going to use the toilet.

The dampness in the rooms seems to be a common problem as I met some other guests who said they even had mould on the walls. There is some defect and it is unacceptable to charge guests when you know this problem is there. Something I would consider doing is to get an expert (I know this is possible) to measure the amount of fungus on the walls/curtains etc. and what type it is to ascertain what adverse effects it could have on the human respiratory system.

I am annoyed because nothing has been done about his issue of dampness since 2012. Also the food quality has gone down significantly since 2012 in terms of variety and quality.
The New Year’s Eve Dinner however was fantastic! Compliments to the all those involved in organising it.

By the way I asked the hotel how much a taxi would cost to go to Galle. They said they could arrange it and it would cost 35 US $. This is about Rs. 4600 for a 20 k.m. trip. I came from Colombo in a luxury van which cost Rs. 9600 for 120 k.m. I could understand the hotel charging more than the standard amount if they were running their own Taxis as they do in Mt. Lavinia hotel. The charge rate is 230 Rs. per k.m. (compared to about Rs. 80) which in my opinion is exploitation.

I for sure will not visit Chaaya Tranz in Hikkaduwa again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Priya D
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.
We regret any inconvenience that may have been caused to you during your stay with us. We thank you for the constructive feedback which is truly invaluable to us and we will certainly take the highlighted areas in to consideration for areas of improvement.
While thanking you for taking time to write to us, we certainly hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back at our Hotel, for a stay that we guarantee, will be memorable.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed two nights, in last week of December 2013 at this hotel. I was with my wife and son. It was our second time at this hotel and we had a great time. As a hotelier with extensive traveling around the world, and working in the hotel industry over 33 years, I value this hotel as a very good location with friendly people. It is the people who make the difference in a hotel. We enjoyed freshly prepared food according to our taste. The fish restaurant is excellent. The view from our room was unforgettable! We will come again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Priyantha-Dubai
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed food at Crab seafood restaurant & Tranzfusion buffet during your stay. Whilst thanking you for sharing your positive feedback we eagerly look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Worst room I have ever stayed in. Walls and ceiling, all surfaces dripping with water, everything damp. The shower floor sloped AWAY from the drain and flooded the entire bathroom. The pool and grounds are nice enough and the buffet was OK although service was miserable. but overall this place is way over-priced and the rooms are disgusting. You may catch legionnaires disease. Or cancer from the mosquito killing cloud of toxic gas all over the grounds every evening.Eat there if you really have to (but why would you with rotti stop just next door), go in the pool if you want to,but make sure you check your room (with balcony door open) before paying for a night.

Room Tip: Check the room for damp and that the damp doesn't arrive if you switch the AC off or open the ba...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank R5263WFtraveller
Chaminda S, Resident Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. Constructive criticism is always appreciated as it helps us to better our product and service offerings, so we thank you sincerely for sharing your honest feedback which is deemed invaluable to us. Areas highlighted by you, will certainly be considered as areas of improvement. Whilst thanking you for sharing your feedback with us, we certainly hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back at our resort for a more memorable stay.