We traveled as a couple in March 2013 and really enjoyed our stay in Chaaya Tranz. The location is a good place to visit Sri Lanka, with Galle easily accessible by train or bus and trips available to other areas in local travel shops (e.g. we used Monica's for a tour to Kandy, Dambulla and Sigiriya). The transfer from Colombo was quite long though and we would definitely recommend asking your driver to take the highway, even at quieter times of day.
The rooms are very spacious and all have a lovely beach view. The beds were really comfortable and the walk in shower was a particular hit with my girlfriend. There was also a free safety deposit box for your valuables.
The turtles mentioned in other reviews were in the sea every day, but the sea wasn't ideal for swimming in as it was quite shallow and rocky. This wasn't a problem for us though as the staff would always find you sunbeds by the pool and the hotel pool was always impeccably clean, even to the extent that there weren't really any leaves floating on it either.
Breakfast in the hotel was lovely - whilst some of the options weren't to our personal tastes, there was so much choice that you'd have to be very fussy not to like anything. There were waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausages and more which were made to order on top of the already substantial buffet selection. The staff were also very friendly when offering tea or coffee.
We stayed on a B&B basis but we did have a couple of other meals in the hotel. The meal we had in the tapas style restaurant was really nice and it is worth a try. We also had a meal in the bar which was nice but relatively expensive for what it was and compared with what you can get in surrounding restaurants - one little gripe was that there is also a tax on the hotel food prices which isn't shown on the menu prices but does come in the bill, so what looks slightly expensive compared with nearby restaurants actually becomes quite a bit more expensive when you add this.
We did order food using room service once and unfortunately there was a mix-up with the order. However, whilst this was frustrating at the time, the member of staff was apologetic about it and these things happen!
Overall, we really enjoyed the stay (and Sri Lanka in general) and we'd definitely recommend this hotel as a great place to stay at a good price for what you get.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 112 Km away from the bustling city of Colombo and located on the Southern shoreline of Sri Lanka is the district which offers a 24-hour party on the beach. Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon Hikkaduwa, rated a four star is built along the golden sands, calls out to all those who enjoy island-life and beach-life with a promise to pamper its guests with the Southern Sri Lankan hospitality. In each room there is a spacious private balcony looking out to a view of the Golden Belt of the South Coast. 2 family suites, 4 corner suites, 4 deluxe rooms, 140 superior rooms. Air conditioned and equipped with a DVD player, 32" LCD TV, WiFi, mini bar, safety deposit box, telephone with IDD, complimentary tea and coffee making facility, hair dryer and complimentary toiletries. Hotel facilities and services: a selection of dining venues, the main restaurant, specialty crab restaurant, pool restaurant and coffee shop. A lounge and pool bar that offers a wide array of local and international spirits, a roof-top spa facility, banquet hall and conference facility (300 to 500 pax). Moreover the hotel houses a freshwater swimming pool, PADI certified dive center and an excursion counter. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa Hotel Hikkaduwa
- Coral Gardens Hikkaduwa
- Coral Gardens Hotel Hikkaduwa