We were very worried about the humidity/dampness issue before arriving at this hotel but it turned out to be a great place for a 2 week stay. We were staying on the 4th floor and didn't experience any dampness or humidity issues apart from a slightly damp smell when we returned from a 2 day trip. I think as long as you get a room on the 4th floor and keep the aircon on all the time you won't have an issue with humidity or dampness.
The location is excellent, right in the centre of Hikkaduwa perched on the corner of the coastline so the beach runs right round the edge of the hotel. The beach right in front of the hotel isn't that big but there is a much larger stretch of beach just beside the hotel - just a 1 minute walk away- that is swimmable because of the coral reef.
The rooms are spacious and all have an ocean view and a massive balcony with a day bed. The beds are comfy, the bathrooms are nice and have a great monsoon shower. The Wifi worked perfectly the entire time we were there.
The only downside of the room is that it's very difficult to control the temparture with the air conditioning unit. It is automatically set at 24 degrees but on some days it felt considerably warmer. We called reception to come and help us turn the temperature down but it took 3 visits to get the room moderately cooler.
With the exception of the main restaurant and the bar, the whole of the ground floor of the hotel is outdoors but covered and the open air vibe is great. The garden area and the pool are massive and it was never a struggle to find free sunloungers.
Breakfast was outstanding, probably one of the best I've had in any hotel around the world. They have a full selection of Sri Lanka and Western (Continental, British and American) options with 2 live cooking stations, 1 making pancakes and waffles and 1 making eggs and omelettes. The one downside for the breakfast was the daily struggle to hail someone down to get a coffee. They should really just have a self service table as the guys kept disappearing or forgetting that you'd asked for one. Some days it took 3-4 requests to get 1 cup!
There is a pool table hidden round the corner in the bar and they offer DVDs at reception to watch in the room. We took 1 movie which was blatently a copy and was such poor quality (picutre and sound) that it was unwatchable.
On the whole, Chaaya Tranz is a great place to stay and the level of service throughout the hotel was great. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Sri Lanka.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 112 Km away from the bustling city of Colombo and located on the Southern shoreline of Sri Lanka is the district which offers a 24-hour party on the beach. Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon Hikkaduwa, rated a four star is built along the golden sands, calls out to all those who enjoy island-life and beach-life with a promise to pamper its guests with the Southern Sri Lankan hospitality. In each room there is a spacious private balcony looking out to a view of the Golden Belt of the South Coast. 2 family suites, 4 corner suites, 4 deluxe rooms, 140 superior rooms. Air conditioned and equipped with a DVD player, 32" LCD TV, WiFi, mini bar, safety deposit box, telephone with IDD, complimentary tea and coffee making facility, hair dryer and complimentary toiletries. Hotel facilities and services: a selection of dining venues, the main restaurant, specialty crab restaurant, pool restaurant and coffee shop. A lounge and pool bar that offers a wide array of local and international spirits, a roof-top spa facility, banquet hall and conference facility (300 to 500 pax). Moreover the hotel houses a freshwater swimming pool, PADI certified dive center and an excursion counter. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Tranz Hikkaduwa Hotel Hikkaduwa
- Coral Gardens Hikkaduwa
- Coral Gardens Hotel Hikkaduwa