“Excellent service”

Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Excellent service”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Second stop of our honeymoon was to Chaaya Tranz in Hikka town. This is a tourist town, which was a little disappointing. The locals seemed to be well aware of how to make a buck in this tourist infested city. We were taken on a glass bottom boat, when there was rough sea and we saw nothing and my wife and I got sea sick even though we had only gone as far as 50 meters to the sea. We turned back within 5 minutes but still had to pay the full amount set for 20 mins. The hotel experience was completely opposite. The service was excellent, amazing seafood, and very pretty colorful rooms. They have a all you can drink cocktail hour and this was great, as we had a lot of fun, trying out different drinks. And they even bring along little munchies to taste. Staff were the best. Thanks CHaaya tranza, you saved the day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cane W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 3, 2012

First of all, I must say that I was part of a corporate group staying at Chaaya Tranz over the weekend. It so happened that there were two corporate outings, so there were more local holidaymakers than foreign tourists. Our expectations were high, as the hotel was refurbished and reopened less than a year ago and JKH hotels being known for its tasty food and superb spread.

Reception - We arrived much later than the main group, the welcome was pleasant, a smiling staff member opened the car door, helped us with the luggage, handed us cold towels and a chilled fruit drink.

Check-in was convenient, with a stewardess escorting us to the room.

Room - was on the first floor with a view of the beach. The decor was nice and bright and I thought the floral printed material on the cushions made it cheery. The lighting is well thought out. The size of the room was ok, the bathroom rather small and cramped. A balcony extends out of the room, furnished with easy chairs, a small table and a comfy cushioned daybed for relaxing in. A lovely and thoughtful addition for sipping a drink or cuppa tea while enjoying the sea breeze and view.

Food- was more of a letdown. We expected more from a Keells hotel. Dinner was the main meal where the entire group was gathering. However the food was not tasty, spread was limited, there were only two action stations with kottu, stuffed roti and stir fried meat. The lack of seafood such as crab, prawn, squid as well as BBQ meats and sausages was apparent. The dinner menu could have been so much better, had there been actions stations out on the terrace considering the good weather. The dessert options lacked variety and overall the meal was a disappointment. The dissatisfaction was exacerbated by the fact that the hotel had separate dinning areas for the corporate groups and the other in-house guests, thereby creating the feeling that the locals were given a cheap dinner. The breakfast was good with a wide enough choice of western and Srilankan fare. There were actions stations for hoppers, pol roti, omelettes and waffles.

Decor and Gardens – The newly refurbished hotel has an edgy Srilankan style with chic accessories. I love the bright backdrop at the front desk adorned with wooden masks, a stylized version of the traditional masks found in Ambalangoda. There is a wall adorned with graffiti as you enter the hotel that catches your eye. The furniture is a mix of both modern and traditional combined stylishly. The light fittings at the bar and main courtyard are very nice. The lobby and lounge areas of the hotel do not give you a good sea view, but the open terrace dinning area does and is pretty cool. However, do watch out for the crows stealing your food!!
As for the garden, the hotel hasn’t bothered too much with it or the upkeep of the beach area. The lawns were not maintained properly, and overall landscaping had not been done contributing to a look of neglect. I do hope the hotel makes an effort to upkeep the gardens better, as it makes such a huge difference.

Service – All the staff members we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Getting there – We drove up on the expressway, which took only 40 mins, but from the exit to the hotel took another 30 mins despite the distance being only 14km!! The road is narrow and not so great, although you do get a glimpse of typical Srilankan village scenery of paddy fields and life at a slower pace.

I would say the hotel has the potential to do so much better in terms of food and general upkeep of the hotel and gardens.

Would I go again? Probably not!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sancharakaya
Corona , California USA
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Just spent two days at this seaside resort, it was well worth the visit. The staff were all very courteous and always ready to assist with a smile , The food was excellent only surpassed by the ever willing staff. The grounds were well maintained , the pool was fantastic , I could have frolicked all day there. The rooms were elegantly furnished , all with an ocean view and very clean.The A/C was whisper quiet. The room staff were always at hand to help. This is indeed 5 star service with a smile.

Room Tip: Getting full board with three meals a day will give one fabulous buffet at mealtimes which would sav...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Surrounding of this hotel really nice, it's just next to the Galle - Colombo main road. but still there is no disturbance because of that.

One problem we had was they had food arranged at the buffet but we were clueless of what to pick, we had to do trial and error with the food, but we enjoyed it since we try new food. but for someone who is not in the same track, may be bit confusing about what to pick. It would have being great if someone was there who can recommend food to those who are confused and don't know what to pick.

The staff is friendly, welcoming and serves at their best with lot of respect.

Room and the bath room were clean, it was cozy and nice.

Overall we only had a short stay but still spent some nice time there.. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China

A transforming experience at Chaaya Tranz
I was first made aware of this hotel in 2002. I was not a frequent guest at coral gardens but I have visited it once for a wedding long before its closure. I cannot recall much about that visit, but I could still remember that it was a very large hotel in the Hikkaduwa beach stretch and as at that time it was very luxurious. However about two years back when I was trying to find a hotel in the south of Srilanka for my family vacation coral gardens popped back and it's rates were comparatively cheaper than many other surrounding hotels. Attracted by the cheap rooms I accessed their website and saw that the rooms were quite outdated and they failed to encourage me to reserve rooms at the hotel. The hotel was the black sheep of the JKH family. The designs and facilities offered were old and failed to satisfy the needs of the modern day traveller. So as a result of the above I ended up booking another hotel in Bentota even though coral gardens were cheaper. Again during the latter of 2011 I was skimming through the hotels in the southern coast when I was made aware that coral gardens were closed for refurbishment. The respective hotel websites provided information and some pictures of how coral gardens will be opened. During September of the said year I happened to pass Hikkaduwa where I witnessed full scale refurbishment of the hotel. The website also told me that the hotels name would be changed from coral gardens to chaaya tranz.
Overtime I got to know that the hotel re opened and I went through the various websites to see pictures of the rooms and the hotel. Meanwhile a group of people whom I knew very closely was scheduled to visit the hotel for corporate training. After their visits some told that the rooms were of very high standard but the food was not very excellent. I was told that the hotel served a huge variety of dishes but the taste was not to a high standard. Another group of my friends also visited the hotel soon afterwards and their pictures expressed that the hotel helped them to enjoy really well.vAll of these opinions were in my mind when I was once again asked from my family to reserve a hotel for a short family break. I found many hotels around the island for a vacation when my attention was drawn into a special offer given for American express card holders at John keels hotels. Hotels in the eastern coast (Chaaya Blu) was mostly full while it was difficult to enjoy a one day vacation when there was lot of travelling to do. So Chaaya wild was a bit too far for our criteria. As my family has not travelled yet on the new Southern expressway in Srilanka they asked me whether I could find a hotel in the south beach. Only Chaaya tranz and Bentota Beach hotel were the only JK hotels in this area. As I new that tranz was new It was my first preference but when I inquired from the hotel they told me that they were mostly full during the days I intended to stay. The hotel also requested me to contact their head office in Colombo to place a reservation. As the hotel told me that they were mostly full I thought of booking Bentota Beach Hotel for our vacation. The personal at the reservation office were very helpful and they were always at their best. Once again I changed certain details of our reservation and they still did not make a fuss about it either. Overtime I still felt that Chaaya Tranz would have been better option than Bentota beach because the latter hotel has not been refurbished recently so I contacted the reservation office once again to see whether they could find us rooms at the Chaaya Tranz. They were very happy to make the changes. I cannot still decide whether that decision I made was good to change the hotels as I have no experience at Bentota Beach Hotel, but I certainly know that it was not a bad choice. The reservation agents were very polite and they were very quick in making the necessary changes while they always did not fail to send me the updated reservation voucher within 5 minutes. They were very helpful especially when their online Internet payment gateway did not work they apologised greatly while they offered me another alternate method without hesitations. The best part of the reservations was that they confirmed the reservation with only my credit card number. Reservations were very easy at these John keeles hotels. Even after these changes were made I also wanted to make changes to the meal plan as we were expected to arrive at the hotel much earlier than we expected. The agents once again was not hesitant to make the respective changes. The updated reservation vouchers were sent and we were finally ready to spend our vacation at the Chaaya Tranz hotel in Hikkaduwa.
Just as a further confirmation I contact the hotel directly a day before our arrival just in case and they had all the necessary information at their finger tips. Unlike many other reservation systems used by other hotels Zhara HS used by JK hotels were very convenient. Another thing that I noticed is that the amount of time that I was put on hold during the telephone calls were of the minimum.
Finally the day arrived where we were to experience the rich Srilankan hospitality.We were booked to arrive for lunch and the hotel advised me to arrive around one as the buffet would close at two thirty.Upon arrival were welcomed warmly accompanied by cold towels and fresh fruit juice. The staff and the atmosphere was were welcoming and the staff directed us to the arrival lobby. We were asked to sit and await until the staff did all the procedures for the check in. Meanwhile as it was around two in the evening the hotel staff invited us to have lunch before they did the check in. We were directed through the newly designed and trendy lobby to the main restaurant. The buffet was served and it had a good spread. The buffet started with a range of salads and breads which was followed by a western and Srilankan dishes. The menu was ok and the tastes were acceptable. The desserts were quite better than the main courses especially the chocolate and white chocolate mousses. The staff was very friendly and they always was at our needs. After lunch we once again went to the reception to check in. The check in was smooth and and a guest relations representative escorted us to our rooms. Upon check in we were given a envelope with a welcome note from the manager and a small map of the hotel grounds. This was the first time I saw such thing from a hotel and mind you this gave a very welcoming and comfortable experience.
The first thing which was uncommon about the rooms a we're the room number tags outside the doors. I was very impressed to find them on the floor unlike on the doors or the side walls in other hotels. The rooms were very good and the designs suited the requirements. The bed runners made out of traditional tapestries and the many cushions and throw pillows on the bed made it look very comfortable. The rooms had everything we wanted. As we entered the closets was available on to the left which consisted of the laundry bags, cloth hangers and the digital safe. Proceeding further we could find the minibar which was well stocked and reasonable unlike other hotels which charge exorbitant prices for the mini bar. The hotel provided a good range of teas and coffee to be used within the rooms. Many other hotels in the Srilanka only provides English Breakfast tea whereas at Chaaya Tranz we were provided with normal black tea and even chamomile tea. Each tea or coffee making set also comprised of sweaters and coffee creamers. The bed room was well furnished with two big beds and a couch which could also be used as another bed. The linen was clean and neatly laid out. The room had a Tv and a DVD player. The only problem with the TV was the interactive system used by the hotel. Even though the system is convenient it is a bit difficult to switch it on. So every time we wanted to watch the TV we had to call the housekeeper to help operate it. The rooms were also included with a lot of other amnesties such as many mailing items. The bathrooms were not that great. The orange colour scheme did not go very well with the other pinks and the design was not very impressive. However the rain shower was very good. The bathrooms was also provided with many standard amenities such a soap, shampoo, sanitary disposal bags, shower caps etc... The best part of the rooms were the balconies. The design made it look like a private terrace and it had two chairs and a large sofa which could be used to relax whilst enjoying the views of the Indian ocean and the pool and hotel grounds below. The Air conditioning unit worked well and the windows always ensured that the sound of the waves gushing up the beach is kept away from the rooms. The hotel directory provided in the rooms drew up to my notice that the hotel has a DVD library were they lend us DVDs. We went to the reception and was also very impressed with that service.
The dinner and breakfast spreads was also very vast with a huge choice. Dinner included many action stations which was accompanied by a god buffet. The only inconvenience was the long queues at some action stations and that we could not order early and ask the waiters to deliver it to the table once each dish is ready. The best part about the breakfast was the sausages which they serve especially the pork sausages and bacon which was really good.
Check out was also quite quick and convenient. Overall we had a good and enjoyable stay at the chaaya Tranz. There is also a very good souvenir shop by the side of the lobby which has cheap and good souvenirs.
A BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL AT CHAAYA TRANZ WHO ENSURED THAT WE HAD A GOOD AND ENJOYABLE HOLIDAY.

Room Tip: Always ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank UdSe
Reviewed August 27, 2012

lso you can sea sea turtles on the beach, there is a local man who swims about 200 M in to the sea and brings a turtle (not forcefully but by showing sea weed). Its amazing to see that these sea creatures can be friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Firstly I have to say that I visited on a corporate trip. simultaneously There was another corporate outing at the same time so I expected things to be better.

The rooms were not ready by 12. which was fine because check-in was at 2pm. However rooms were no ready for check-in by 2.15pm either. by which point I did make it a point to make a fuss, rooms were given to us by 2.45pm but the toilets were still being cleaned. The staff was very helpful and friendly. That is something I have to stress on and they cleaned up and was out of the room by 3 pm

Room - was spacious. relatively. I thought the room with the sri lankan material was done very nicely. toilets were quite small but was enough to get about. However I have to say the walls in the room had water stains on it, I assume this is because the water has seeped through the wall. (hotel might and should look in to it)

Food - wasn't something to write home about. it was bland and the mixes were not very well thought of . the breakfast buffet is something you can't go wrong with so that was fantastic. however the lunch lacked variety and taste. Dinner did have a variation but the food was still not great.

the decor of the place is nice. has a very edgy sri lankan graffiti on your way in to the front desk.

The place is nice but couldn't be SO MUCH MORE!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dilini W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hikkaduwa
Coral Sands Hotel
Lavanga Resort & Spa
Lavanga Resort & Spa
#14 of 27 in Hikkaduwa
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka

Been to Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon? Share your experiences!