“Great stay at Chaaya Tranz”

Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great stay at Chaaya Tranz”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a great holiday based at this hotel. We were in Sri Lanka for the cricket and spent 2 weeks at Chaaya Tranz. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean with a fantastic view of the beach and some awesome sunsets.
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and the buffet breakfast was very good with lots of choice.
The staff were very helpful from those on reception to the guy sorting out our sunbeds. In particular the restaurant and bar staff were very attentive.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor was fab - they all have a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, my team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the selection of breakfast and high quality of our rooms. Thank you for your excellent feedback on the staff member at front office at help you during your stay.

On behalf of all team members, I hope to welcome you back one day very soon.

mario.khms@keells.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Hi ,
If you are looking for a relaxed vacation then this hotel is the best choice. We had planned a family vacation there and everyone in the group were highly impressed and happy . Great ambiance, beautiful views, extremely friendly staff and great Chef's. In particular I still remember the ex sous chef Julinda who went an extra mile to ensure that all food is prepared to our taste.
A very clean , safe and beautiful place to spend time .
Thank You to great team of Chaaya Tranz>

Room Tip: Choose Deluxe corner rooms .
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rishi C

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the selection of food and the quality of rooms and service. I will pass on your positive comments to Chef Julinda.

I thank you for your excellent feedback, On behalf of all team members, I hope to welcome you back one day very soon.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

If you want a bit of quality, with extremely helpful and friendly staff, then this is the hotel for you. Sure there are some small niggles but what do you expect, after all its Sri Lanka and things happen at a different pace.
The hotel was clean and efficiently run, nothing was to much trouble and all the staff from the manager right down to the cleaners wanted to interact with you. Rooms are all sea facing and "wow what a view, the sun sets are to die for". Get a high floor to maximise your view. There is a full gym, squash court and a wonderful pool with a pool bar selling very resonably priced bar food. Draft Beer is 200 Rupees (£1.00) and a decent meal £4-5. Yes expensive for Sri Lanka but worth every penny. Buffet breakfast was immense and included in the price, a great choice of European and Sri Lankan food.
This Hotel was by far the best in Hikkaduwa, I had friends staying in other hotels in the resort and they all ended up drinking/ eating at the Chaaya Tranz.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th Floor to take in all those amazing views, all rooms are sea facing .
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, August 30, 2012

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the selection of food and rooms and that your friends from other hotels in the area join us for meals.

Essex, UK
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The location is superb. As other reviewers have noted, the view of the sunset through the palm trees is unforgettable. The beach borders the hotel. The sea is safe for all but the most timid (too tame for this reviewer). We had no problems with beach vendors. Sure they are there but once you say "no" they move on. The pool is large but too shallow - about 1m maximum depth.

The problems were with front desk service and the room.

Front Desk. We requested a 2nd key for the room. Front desk said they didn't have one but would ask the manager. Next day I asked for the 2nd key. "We have no record of your request, sir" Was I supposed to put it in writing and keep a signed copy? Again it would be referred to the manager. I mentioned to our Sri Lankan agent. He went into overdrive and finally wrung out of them that a 2nd key existed "but it is locked in the accountant's office and he has gone home for the day". The agent then told them they were in the service business but behaving like a government department. And possibly a few other choice remarks. Within 10 mins we had the 2nd key.

Room. The wiring in the bedroom was unsafe. Running my fingers around the light fitting above the bed, searching for the on/off switch, I got a electric shock. For a child or someone with wet fingers, it could have beem fatal. In the bathroom the integral power point for the hairdryer fell apart, exposing live wires. To their credit, both these problems were resolved within a couple of hours but frankly a new hotel (it only opened in Nov 2011) shouldn't have these issues. There were intermittent foul smells in the room. Possibly blocked drains - water was very slow to run away from the shower. The problem seems to be restricted to 4th floor. Another guest on the 4th floor but 10 rooms away from us changed rooms at 11.00 pm one night because the smell was unbearable. In our room, it was noticeable at times but never overpowering.The layout of the room with a void or atrium, allowing one to see down into other balconies was really odd. It also meant that noise travelled far too easily. Finally, on the roof there were numerous loose tiles which no doubt will wash down, hopefully missing unsuspecting guests & staff.

Breakfast was good but the restaurants were disappointing. We ate out almost every evening. JLH (mentioned by another reviewer; turn right out of the pedestrian exit and walk 50m, then right again, down a gravelly lane). Quiet, right on the beach good variety of food and cheap. Also Moon Beam, same direction but a short tuk-tuk ride. More sophisticated with whole fresh fish offered and a pleasant bar area.

If the management can sort out the rooms and service issues, this could be a good hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, August 29, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on the quality breakfast, I am not sure if you are aware we do a have a wide selection of Restaurants to chose from Crab Seafood, Tranfix and our A la Carte Pool menu a well as our Buffet.

I do apologies for the issues with the room , I am happy to advise that all of your points outline have been addressed since your stay with us.

On behalf of all team members, thank you for your kind comments and I hope to welcome you back to one day very soon so that you can experience our normal excellent service.

Nugegoda
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Visited with my family at the beginning of March, 2012. Nice location near famous Hikkaduwa beach. Enjoyed the food, pool and the beach.
Most of the positives were overshadowed by following,
Heavily overpriced compared to other Chaaya hotels I have stayed. Double room costs nearly 35000 for one night on FB and you can enjoy mostly same facilities and experience for half the rate in places like Heritance-Ahungalla. However for foreigners, there are lot of options at the buffet.
When I called front desk to make a reservation before 10 days prior to my arrival, they said that the hotel is fully booked. However when I checked their website it was possible to make a reservation which I did. Funny part was there were rooms available for online reservation on the day of my arrival.
When I checked-in with my wife and son, no wet towels or a welcome drink was given and we were taken straight to our room.
Since night, toilet started draining slowly and on following morning it became slower and suddenly started overflowing . Even after complaining several times no-one attended till 10 minutes before our check-out time forcing us to use the common toilets. And from what they were talking it was obvious that it was a long standing issue in the particular room (Room no 106 if I can remember correctly).
Made a huge fuss about a missing biscuit packet before checking-out which my little son has taken from the mini bar and placed on the bed (not used).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ruchiraranga
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, August 25, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on the quality and selection of our food and service. I have taken note of our comments on our prices please note that we do conduct price survey and in most case we are on par or below other hotels in the area.

I do apologies for the issues with the toilets and our front office team, I am happy to advise that we have been conducting retraining of our team to avoid such issues in the future.

On behalf of all team members, thank you for your kind comments and I hope to welcome you back to one day very soon.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel has the potential to be so much better than it right now. The rooms are the highlight, with great beds, bathrooms and views. The breakfast buffet is not bad at all. The problem is that there is no real beach and touts sometimes try to pick off the guests nearby. Furthermore the front desk staff need refresher training in guest management. The TVs are hard to figure out, and it took over half and hour to get help physically to our room, despite insisting. Rather the desk staff insisted that we listen to them and their instructions, which made no difference. The front desk in any hotel 'sets the standard' and little things like that for the price paid at this hotel give it an average rating. Nevertheless potential clearly exists for this hotel to be so much more!

Room Tip: Be firm with the front desk staff, who might steer you to what they think you need after getting up...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WanderingT
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, August 9, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on the buffet selection, I have taken note of the comments on the front office and have meet with the team and extra training is ongoing in that area. I am happy to advise that the TV, system has been made more user friendly for our guests.

On behalf of all team members, I hope to welcome you back one day very soon to see all of our changes.

mario.khms@keels.com
Singapore
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a good place if you are into spending the whole day on the beach, sun sand and sea! Its a 2 minute walk from hangouts like Mambo's and Refresh, JLH. The breakfast buffet spread was awesome and if you can get a table on the seaside all the better! The rooms were an odd layout and had this weird opening which isn't great if you want absolute privacy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Imaleecious
Mario S, General Manager at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, responded to this review, August 8, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on the breakfast buffet selection and quality, the location of the hotel is very good with direct access to the beach from all rooms which all overlook the ocean.