“Nice stay”
Review of Coral Sands Hotel

Coral Sands Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel last year with our to kids aged 4 and 3. Food was good. We booked the hotel after reading the reviews from trip advisor. The hotel as a new building which is really nice, there are 2 swimming pool and hotel guests can use bothof them. We are budget travellers and for that reason we stayed in the old part of the hotel which was just ok. No complains. Staff are helpful and nice. We took a round trip for 4 days with a mini bus, the trip was arranged with a really nice guy called Sanath. We met him at the beach in front of the hotel. We all enjoyed the trip. The visit to the millenium elephant foundation was a big hits for the kids, they just loved it and also the tour to the Pinnawela was good. Another really nice place to stay or just visit for the day is the beach of Unawatuna, we went there just for the day with a tuk tuk, I think it was about 20-30 minutes. Conclusion: we had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed December 28, 2010

I had a lovely time staying at Coral Sands. The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment at the moment and I was lucky enough to stay in one of the nicer rooms. The bed was very comfortable with a lovely sea view, and I can't fault the room at all. There is some traffic noise but I was on a higher floor and it didn't disturb me at all.

Service at the hotel is in general very good. I arrived late, the dinner buffet had closed although they were keeping it open for me. I was quite tired and not that hungry and said I didn't really want dinner, so instead they sent some cut fruits up to my room which I thought was a lovely gesture.

The pools and gardens were very nice, the beach is very clean and pretty. Not too much hassle from hawkers which was surprising. The food at the hotel is so-so, not the best, but nice enough for a few days.

I was surprised at how nice the hotel was - and for me it was perfect for a 3 night, relaxing stay and only wished I could have stayed an extra night or two. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dohadiverdiva
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I have saw many hotels in my life from Egypt to Mexico, but hotel Coral Sands (Hikkaduwa, Sri-Lanka) saves everything. Not even the bigger resorts can compare of them. In the morning you wake up and the room boys are ready to go, if you go to the pool the poolboys made up your swimmingbed and the food is great! They clean up the room two times a day and the hotel staff want you to help with everything you need for an unforgettable vacation. My thanks to the reception managers!
No annoying Russians or Poles, just polite people from Switserland, Sweden, Germany and the UK. .For sure that I will come back next year for the 3th time.

Melvin van de Vorst
The Netherlands

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2010

checked in without any trouble within minutes, rooms were alright with a satisfactory washroom and toilet, Beach was horrible, so if you intend to use the beach go for another hotel or just use the pool and the space with in the hotel. Said we have pool tables but we found it was under repairs and the food was alright with some variety. Overall I would say the hotel could do be better and there are many for the similar price with better standards, way better I mean, and I also found it offending when a certain member of the staff kept questioning when are we checking out.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We booked this hotel as part of a nice Sri Lanka tour but checked-out after one night.
Hikkaduwa is horrible and most hotels are right on the main road to Colombo.
If you intend to relax, go somewhere else like Weligama.
Even with ear plugs, we didn't sleep at all.
If you want to stay there, unwrap your sleeping bag next to the road, and spare the money. The effect would be the same.
Staying there is just like having the trucks, cars, tuk-tuk and honks right in your room.

The beach smells the fuel and we almost stepped on a syringe.

Also, towels were smelly and the overall cleanliness is not really high.

Besides, the hotel was under work and reconstruction, but without warning. Add this to the already horribly noisy place and you get the full picture.
Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve J
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We booked this hotel through a tour operator who did a fantastic job booking our week in Sri Lanka. We arrived at Coral Sands after booking a deluxe room and were told that we had a standard room after some back and forth we were able to get the room we booked. The beach is very nice except be prepress to be hassled by vendors who just will not take no for an answer. You are better off just to stay by the pool.

We got to know our tour guide very well and wanted to show home some pictures of Canada. We brought him to our room and within 5 minutes were called by the front desk who informed us that he could not be in the hotel for the safety of other guests. I informed the lady that he was our personal guest and whom I invite in to our paid for room is at my discretion. In addition there are some renovations going on right above our room there were hammer drilling and sawing making excessive noise well into the evening. Getting them to stop was like pulling teeth. The food was good but over priced for Sri Lanka and the serving staff were excellent.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The Coral Sands is right on the most beautiful beach there are a variety of places to eat nearby if you want to venture out of the hotel. We stayed in a deluxe room with beautiful views across the well tended gardens to the beach. The staff at the hotel are warm and welcoming we felt looked after from the moment we arrived and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are exceptionally clean and comfortable and the housekeeping staff are helpful and polite. The bar staff make leaving the hotel in the evenings difficult - they were keen to provide anything we wanted to drink in lovely surroundings. Sanjay and his team have much to be proud of here - we can't wait to go back.. Make the most of experiencing this amazing and beautiful country now, before the charter airlines get there and while your visit can make a difference to the recovery from the tragedy of its recent past..

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple