Coral Sands Hotel
$83
Aditya(Hikkaduwa)
$231
$210
Drifters Hotel and Beach Restaurant(Hikkaduwa)(Great Value!)
$27
$64
$60
Priceline
Main Reef Hotel and Restaurant(Hikkaduwa)(Great Value!)
$29
$23
  • Breakfast included
Sunbeach Hotel(Hikkaduwa)
$50
All reviewsdeluxe roomsuper deluxesri lankahalf boarddive schoolglass bottomedbuffet breakfast and dinnerfirst floorbuffet stylehotel groundssea viewground floorwelcome drinkbeach fronttuk tukturtle hatcherybeach area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I read the various reviews & was a little disturbed by the pictures of ants, awful looking toilets etc. As I was traveling solo, I was recommended by a local tour agent in Sri Lanka to stay at Coral Sands Hotel versus the smaller establishments which I was looking at. I spent about SGD100/night & booked through Agoda. It is less than 5min away by tuk tuk from Hikkaduwa train station & the cost was about LKR70.

The first impression at the hotel lobby was good. I could see the pool & the garden area dotted with deck chairs. There was a large sitting area for guests to lounge at, watch TV or use the wifi. I thought to myself perhaps the room will not be that bad after all.

While sorting the extra payment for my Sri Lankan friend who decided to stay the night before heading back to her hometown, they gave use night cold towels which were great considering the heat & dust from the more than 2 hours train ride from Mt Lavinia. The welcome drink served was made from the fruit called Amberella which was slightly bitter but very refreshing.

My room was XL135. XL doesn’t seem to mean anything. So if you are thinking it was an extra-large room, you will be disappointed. That said, there was sufficient space for 2 people. There balcony faces the afternoon sun. So you can actually catch some midafternoon rays in the comfort of your own room. Located on the 2nd floor, it had a great view of the beach & the many boats on the water. No view of the 2 pools unless you stick your neck out. The room had a travel adaptor to fit most country’s plug types.

Breakfast is sufficient. There is a choice of western & Sri Lankan. There was waffle & egg station.

Pros about this hotel:
- The really big garden which runs parallel to the hotel & the beach. There is ample space to lounge around on the deck chairs without being too close to other guests.
- It is within walking distance to many eateries like Abbas which has the best Sri Lankan curry in my books. Further ones like Thambili Café could be reached by tuk tuk in 5min & cost about LKR 300.
- The International Diving School is located within the hotel along the beach. A decent dive shop with all necessary equipment available. Therefore, anyone who is interested to try out diving can do so at the spur of the moment. Shop opens by 9am daily.

Cons:
- The really awful toilet. The pictures by other guests are as bad as it really is. Tiles had holes.

- I was visited by a huge cockroach in the night. The hotel staff who came to assist me initially could not find the roach even though I told him that I saw it escaping under the sink after I my poor attempt at killing it. He searched & searched to no avail then insisted that I must have been dreaming. I was kind of peeved by that comment. Who was he to doubt me? I insisted that it was there. Finally he agreed to return with an insect spray. After the spraying, the large roach must have suffocated in a hole in a tile & dropped onto the floor. I was able to go to bed in peace. The story continues though. I woke up the next morning & found another roach under the table! It was dying. So it must have been under the sink too! The horror…

- There were a couple of blackouts. I was bathing once when it happened & it was pitch black. I was so frustrated that I ended up bringing in my torch to shower. I gave up watching TV in my room & decided that watching it at the lobby would give me less of a shock if another blackout occurs. That said, it might not be the hotel’s fault entirely. I experienced blackouts Abbas & walking along the streets. I guess a good idea of anyone to bring along a small torch light just in case.

On the whole, I had an ok stay. Nothing to rave about. But I was a little sad to leave.

Room Tip: 2nd floor gives u the view of the beach & sea.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Siri_G_12, Managing Director at Coral Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are appreciative of the positive comments in respect of our location & the facilities available at the International Diving School located within our premises.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the presence of a cockroach in the bathroom. We are on a constant mission to eradicate these pests but they do appear on rare occasions if we fail to be thorough in our pest eradicating programme. House- Keeping department has been advised to be vigilant on this issue.

The generator connects on to the power line in less than 3 minutes in the event of a general blackout. Our generator was being repaired on the 6th of February & due to this there was no alternative power source when the general power line failed. This blackout lasted for less than half an hour. All other times the generator takes over to provide the necessary power.

Thank you for your constructive criticism. We assure you that all the issues raised by you will definitely propel us to look at all areas critically & aim for improvement all-round.

We look forward to your next visit to Coral Sands,

Hikkaduwa

Reviewed February 8, 2014

By far the best located property which we could in Hikkaduwa ....right on the beach and on the main buzzing stretch of this beach town.

We stayed in rooms XL001 and XL002 on thr ground floor which were large and also opened out to swimming pool and only 50 steps from the public beach. Although I would say that First floor rooms commanded better sea view (it was absent from our rooms!)

Its a safe place and you can walk to the fabulous Hikkaduwa beach as and when you desire. Their breakfast has lots of choices although the quality of ingredients used sometimes can improve. They also have daily dinner specials and can also arrange a table on the grounds (atleast they did for us after a lot of insistence) as we celebrated my brother's anniversary!

Room Tip: If you want view, choose rooms on the first floor!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Siri_G_12, Managing Director at Coral Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

My team & I are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for all your positive comments. The beach & the sea which are just a ‘hop, step & a jump’ away from the hotel are enjoyed by all. We hope you encountered the turtles that frequent our area.

Our good wishes to your brother on his anniversary. Celebration dinners are always served out in the garden – but with prior notice.

Looking forward to your next visit to Coral Sands,

CORAL SANDS HOTEL LTD.,
Sri Lanka.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

My first ever review for Trip Adviser.
Am writing this after breakfast on my last full day at the Coral sands. I have been here for two great weeks on my second visit to Sri Lanka but my first to Hikkaduwa. Having read some of the earlier critical reviews I do wonder whether they actually visited the same hotel!
In summary this is a good hotel, well run, in a really good location with very friendly staff and good value for money – I plan to return next year or the year after.
Location – right on the beach, good safe swimming protected by the reef just off shore, good snorkelling and I was told good diving. Well placed in the village for shops, bars, and restaurants. The road is bedlam at times but all roads in Sri Lanka seem to be! I hardly heard it in the hotel.
Room – I had a deluxe room it was a good size (3 star hotel remember), clean, everything worked.
Food – I was on an all-inclusive package, all meals were buffet style as you would expect – good variety with local and European dishes. I defy anyone to eat in the same restaurant for two weeks without being a bit bored, but I have no complaints.
Staff – best of all – the staff here could not have been more friendly or helpful.
Trips – went whale watching from Mirissa – seriously recommend booking with Raja and the Whales – recommended by Lonely Planet – look him up online and arrange your own transport there – cheaper and better than the tour operators.
Going home in the morning – I can’t wait to come back.

Room Tip: Upper rooms mostly have good views
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank John S

Dear Guest,

Welcome to TripAdvisor ! Another great review to make our day & to make our load lighter! Another instance of reaching for ‘Customer Delight’ !!

We are glad that you decided on Hikkaduwa as your destination on your second to trip to our beautiful country. Thank you for all your positive comments in respect of our location, service, food etc. We deeply appreciate your vote of confidence in us.

Apart from whale watching we do hope you have seen our diverse country. Sri Lanka with a mere 65,000 sq.km offers our visitors an entire plethora of interesting locations stretching from the ancient cities where you would witness the ruins of construction & engineering marvels by our ancient kings to wild life safaris & to the cooler climes of our tea country in the hills & much more. All these for your next trip if not done already.

We look forward to welcome you when you return as promised.

CORAL SANDS HOTEL LTD.,

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our second visit to Coral Sands, we stayed for 15 nights. Why did we return ? Pleasant surroundings (once you have passed through the front door away from the road !), lovely weather, reliably good food (both local style and "European"), comfortable rooms, perhaps the most helpful, friendly and welcoming staff we have EVER met (in 35 years of travel), safe swimming and the reef for snorkelling. We were 100% happy with the things you expect; room, food, service, bars, gardens etc. So what earns the 5-star rating ? The staff that go the extra mile in care and helpfulness, always with a smile, the dinners (buffet style) often provided outstanding dishes, frequent checks from various staff that all was well. We saw baby turtles being released on the beach 50 yards from our sunbeds. We swam with wild turtles (not the semi tame ones further along the beach), we snorkelled with lion fish and other rarities plus thousands of more common fish, we watched a moray eel catch, wrestle then ultimately eat an octopus, we had endless interactions with the friendly local people using the beach.....and again all within 200 yards of our sunbeds.
Our friend was scratched by an over excited beach dog (yes, accidents do happen). The staff cleaned the wound, arranged and paid for transport to the local clinic where comprehensive treatment was carried out. This was service and attention far better than you would get at many much grander hotels.
Coral Sands isn't the poshest, chicest hotel around but for a lovely sunshine break at a very affordable price this holiday would be VERY hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for the North or "Sands" wing if available; very little road noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Siri_G_12, Managing Director at Coral Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

My team & I are delighted with your review. We read with fascination of your escapades which would certainly have made your holiday a memorable one. Your comments regarding our rooms, food, service & the ever smiling, ever helpful staff are much appreciated. Thank you for the topmost ranking given to us.

It is a pleasure to note that this had been your second visit. I wish your stay had coincided with our annual felicitation cocktail party held in honour of all repeat guests during the month of February, which is when we have the largest number of them.

As I have mentioned before, we strive to reach further than ‘Customer Satisfaction’ & ambitiously aim for ‘Customer Delight’ I think we have achieved it with many of our guests.

Looking forward to your next visit to CORAL SANDS,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had a recent 14 night stay at the property, and a very good one it was too.
We arrived very early 7am and, understandably, our room was not ready, Cooling towels and fruit juice were offered and we were then free to enjoy the pool etc whilst our room was vacated and then prepared(hotel was full) - I think the local tour rep might have been harrassing them as to why room not ready - we fully understood why it wasnt, never expected it to be at that time of morning and it really wasnt a problem as we could relax and have a swim and generally enjoy the hotel facilities.
The room was a good size, balcony overlooking the sea and was a deluxe room on first floor(room xl134). Good comfortable beds. First nights sleep was a bit disturbed - first night in a strange bed and all that, but once we had managed to adjust the aircon to our liking- we had good nights sleep every night. The ensuite was fine - good sized shower . Loo was a bit tight though (however I do need to loose a bit of weight) Great sunset views
The pool and grounds were very good, great access to beach and if you like snorkelling you can just walk into the sea and be amongst the coral and fish - superb. Sometimes sun loungers and sunshades were in short supply - however, pool attendants were excellent in trying to get you sorted- even giving you beds that had been reserved by others but not used by a reasonable time - well done to the attendants and for the hotel on this policy.
First couple of days did keep smelling fuel from the boats moored outside the hotel but this was only noticeable on a couple of days
We stayed on a bed & breakfast basis , as we wanted to eat out at varying restaurants. We did have buffet on a couple of nights and this was fine. Indeed on last night, we were offered a complimentary meal at barbecue night - very nice touch
Finally the staff. Probably the most helpful and friendliest group of staff we have encountered. From Reception staff, pool attendants, housekeeping, waiters, bar staff, chefs, maintenance, all of them, - all wonderful - thanks for making our stay a great one. I think it is the staff that really set this hotel apart from others we have stayed in, in other countries
On last day, in taxi on way to airport my wife realised she had left her wedding ring behind. A phone call to hotel and a search of room by housekeeping staff and they found it, and are going to send it back to us - great, thanks
All in all, a great holiday at this hotel.

Room Tip: First floor rooms provide a great view of sea and sunsets
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Siri_G_12, Managing Director at Coral Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to read your review.

We are absolutely delighted with your comments in respect of our location, the helpful & friendly nature of our staff as well as all other positives. Your detailed report covering most aspects of your stay with us would prove to be useful to future guests.

New sun loungers & umbrellas have been ordered as we have noted the need for more.

We are very pleased that we were able to find your ring that was left in the room after your check out. We are now in the process of looking for a secure way of sending it to over to you – most courier companies do not accept gold jewellery.

In a lighter vein, another holiday at Coral Sands would save us the trouble of sending it over!

Hikkaduwa