“Very Pleasent Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of J.L.H. Restaurant

J.L.H. Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 110 Restaurants in Hikkaduwa
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Sri Lankan, International
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bhopal
“Very Pleasent Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the attached guest house of "Whispering Palms Tourist Rest" for a couple of days. I took the word of advice of the owner to pay a visit to J.L.H. Beach Restaurant - and I was pleasently surprised.

The interior is nice and the restaurant looks well maintained. The waiters are attentive and well trained. The menu is huge - by far too huge - but there will be food for everybodies taste.

I was there for dinner and next day's lunch. I took a grilled seer fish (a big slice of mackerel) with chips (fries) and salat for dinner. Taste was good, fresh - only slightly overcooked. Fries were the best I have eaten in South Asia. Salat was very fresh, with some fruits and well sesoned. Obviously the cook knows what he is doing! Bill was around 1.300 RS which was reasonable for the service offered. - Free WiFi included!

For next day's lunch I ordered fish-curry with rice and salat and some kind of spinach as a side dish. Curry was excellent prepared with generous amount of seer fish in a coconut curry gravy made with fresh spices such as cinnamon, curry leafes and basil beside others.

I will certainly come again!

• Visited May 2013

• Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Brilliant value and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We ate here as a group of friends and had a really good experience. We had soups, omelette and prawn cocktails as starters which were very generous portions and good quality.

For mains we generally had fried calamari, grilled calamari and one pork schnitzel. All were delicious, very fresh, huge portions and at not much higher a price than smaller, lower key beach bars. The calamari is possibly the best I have ever eaten (it's easy to make it rubbery) and I have on good authority the schnitzel was as good as anything you'd get in Germany ;o) All were served with chips and a good quality salad.

The location is just above the beach, overlooking the sea and the perfect place for sunset. If you are coming down from the main road don't let the dirt track put you off - it's worth it. The signage doesn't make it stand out from any of the other beach bars but it's definitely of a higher standard.

The service was, by Sri Lankan standards, excellent - they pay attention to the smaller things (table mats, napkins, ice buckets, side plates) that you don't get in your standard beach bar and you don't pay much more for it. Attentive, friendly staff, happy to help. Only criticism I would have is that we were the last people in the restaurant at about 10:30 and we were asked if we were leaving soon.... slightly rude but I can appreciate they wanted to close up!

J.L.S is definitely worth a visit: as a beach bar/restaurant it is a cut above the rest in respect to food quality, service and decor, and we've eaten in a fair few beach bars across Sri Lanka.

• Visited May 2013
Bengaluru, India
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went there twice for dinner and had 'what is what' of seafood in this place. Amazing freshness and tasty too.
And location on the beach is amazing, our son had a good time in the beach while the food was getting ready. Their live lobster and jumbo prawns are a must try.

Cairo, Egypt
“A nice location but strange experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I went here this evening ordered French soup which tasted like gravy and explained I didn't want anymore and was questioned why not. The waiter hanged around and made us feel quite guilty questioning everything else we ate. Finally when the bill came he said we didn't need to pay for the soup. We were grateful but abit embarrassed. Anyway we paid and waited for our change which was quite substantial. Several times we were asked if we were ok. We realised that meant we weren't getting any change. This on top of bad food was quite annoying. I promptly got the change. Overall quite an awkward experience.

Stockholm, Sweden
“Tasty seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We ate two different king prawn dishes which were both simply delicious! Wanted to try octopus and calamari but unfortunately they were out of both that night. The atmosphere is ok, nothing too special (we were there during the low season) but service is great!