“Where the locals go for seafood”

Mamas Coral Beach Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 110 Restaurants in Hikkaduwa
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Where the locals go for seafood”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

After being told that Mamas is the place where locals go for seafood I decided to give it a try.
It's a beach restaurant so you shouldn't expect anything to be fancy. Keep in mind that the bathrooms won't necessarily be dry and tidy.
Overall food was tasty, and well presented. Seafood set menus were available. Service was a bit slow (like everywhere I've been to in Sri Lanka) but the orders make it to the table.
Flies and mosquitos are real a problem everywhere. During the day there's not much you can do but fight the flies; at night spray repellent all over your skin, and that will keep the mosquitos away.

• Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
“BLUFFS!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Service was horrible. Menu was bland. A very bad recommendation from the driver. They cheated us tourists by not giving me detailed information on the menu. Practically told me to over order and me not knowing their portions went along with it. FRAUDS! I will never recommend

3 Thank Universalbloke
“DON'T GO!!!! I GOT CHEATED”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Food is blend. The purposely gave us 3 LOBSTERS when I specifically order 1 and I asked him wheter it is enough for 3. Slow service and beach is full of boats. My advice... don't go there! You have been warned.

P.S. I got cheated by them!!!

3 Thank youdonotneedtoknow
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Don't like sharing my food with flies”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stopped here on a 1 day tour of the western coast, looking for a good seafood restaurant. What a let down! We were lead to a table just inside not too far away from the beach. Dogs roamed outside and inside. We went for the 'seafood special' a 3 course meal with chowder to start, a seafood platter followed by ice cream / fruit and tea/coffee. The Chowder was not too bad although a little cold. With bated anticipation we waited for our seafood platter - what a disappoint - a plate of overcooked lobster, prawns and fish swimming in a thick sweet syruppy orange sauce with a mound of french fries thrown on top (the latter being an item we had said when we ordered that we did not want). The overwhelming sauce meant that you could not taste any of the flavours of the other items on the plate. This coupled with trying to constantly bat away flies around the food meant that we ended up leaving most of it. This was not a cheap meal - around £30 and was one of the worst meals I have eaten in the last 10 years!!!
As for the toilets............... I only wished I had visited them before ordering our meal as I would have turned around and walked out there and then - in hindsight I really wished we had when the plate of food was put in front of us!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank redheadsarah22
“lovely sea view”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Finally a quiet spot overlooking the sea. staff helpful and friendly. Excellent mushroom soup and chicken in sauce. Delicious potatoes!
The best restaurant in the area

1 Thank sushimel