Review 16th March 2014
We we were expecting Hikkaduwa to be a bit of a party place but in fact it was all asleep by 11pm... which was fine by us. Neela's is fantastically situated, on the quiet and widest part of the beach. There is a mini warm water lagoon just in front of the hotel which makes a great alternative to some pretty large waves. Neela's have their own palm roof sun beds (free to guests/restaurant users) and a pretty restaurant with good prices and charming service. The accommodation is excellent value for a beach front property, we had room 14 on the second floor with a sea view across roof tops. The room was large and spotless with a balcony and planters chairs. There is efficient and quiet air con in room 14 with ceiling fan if you prefer and bonus mini fridge (we found that not all medium price rooms in Srilanka have a fridge - you need cold water on hot nights!!!!). The room has all the stuff you need ie. very comfortable bed, extra pillows - proper reading lights, good mirror - waist height table for you case - only one slight negative was the bathroom which was a bit eighties but to be honest this is an aesthetic comment only as it was extremely clean and functional with good pressure shower.
The owners of Neela's are a Srilankan family - very friendly and helpful - Chamara the Owners son was always ready to chat and help with anything at all - they definitely have a commitment to cleanliness and customer service. All the common areas are very clean and there were fresh flowers and joss sticks every morning when we came down for our delicious breakfast (fruit,toast and eggs done any way you want)
Of all the places we ate on the beach ( Hikkaduwa food can be hit and miss) We found Neela's food to be the best. If I went back to Hikkaduwa I would definitely stay here but pay a bit more for one of the 3rd floor rooms as they have the best views.
Neela's is not a boutique hotel nor does it pretend to be as it has a range of rooms for all budgets and concentrates on substance over style - If you want to be right on the beach with super friendly local owners and very reasonable room rates for ultra clean/functional accomodation with the bonus of delicious Srilankan sea food choose this place.
Thanks for great customer service to Chamara and all the staff - We had a great time.
Lynda Bailey and Peter Readman.
PS Just a couple of bits of advice about Hikkaduwa in general - There are some good places to drink on the beach but hardly any of them have good food. Nice bar to Drink is the "Why not" but food is awful. The Hotel moon Beam restaurant recommended in Lonely planet is over rated and a rip off. The best food we had was at Neela's.
Also be very aware of the very busy road that goes through Hikkaduwa - what ever room you book make sure it is way from that road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Neela's Neela's Guesthouse offers a warm welcome, delicious food and a friendly atmosphere. Our beachfront location means you can walk out of your room onto the sands. Hikkaduwa is a paradise for the swimmers, sun worshippers, surfers and snorkellers. Popular surf breaks are minutes away or just relax on a sunbed and watch the turquoise waves roll in. Our restaurant is only a few short steps from the sea. Begin the day with a leisurely breakfast or join us for a lazy lunch. At the end of the day enjoy an amazing sunset followed by dinner under the stars. Our family have been welcoming tourists to Hikkaduwa for more than 30 years. Our experience ensures great service and attention to detail; whether you're a first time visitor or one of our old friends. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Neela's Guesthouse & Beach Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Neela`s Guest House And Beach Restaurant
- Neela`s Guest House & Beach Restaurant Hotel Hikkaduwa