“Better elsewhere”

Ranked #69 of 150 Hikkaduwa B&B and Inns
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Better elsewhere”
Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

We came at the very end of the season. The staff gouged us on the price for one night, gave us an unclean room with dirty sheets and a broken door lock. Some have had a good time here but not us, we checked out and found cheaper/better the next day.

• Stayed April 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Had an early check in confirmed by hotel, but not available on when I arrived. Had booked a deluxe a/c room overlooking beach / sea, but they tried to put me in room 17, a basic room next to the noisy road. No one knew I was arriving and had to wait until 'The Manager' arrived. My room was available from midday, but 'The Manager' wanted me to pay up front and in STERLING. He said they no longer used a credit card facility. He also said that because he had moved me to the deluxe room, I should give him £25 sterling as a tip. The exchange rate he used was also in his favour. He bragged that he had already made £85 sterling in tips that week, he even showed me the money. For information, you can pay by credit card and in ruppees. All bookings are manually written on sheets of paper, no computerised system. They could not find my friends booking for ages, as it was written randomly on another piece of paper.
The deluxe room was fine and spacious. However, I had to complain to get it cleaned. Towels were small and worn. King size bed very comfy, but only two small pillows. A/C system leaked water all the time, and lights VERY dim. Never used the mozzie nets, just fan and a/c
Restaurant was good, but service slow. Beach good, but a few dogs roaming about. They never bothered us. Sea is rough, not able to swim because waves and current, but at low tide ok for even small kids to splash about in away from waves. Beach is wide, we walked up towards town centre and no beach at all at high tide past Funky Bar.

Room Tip: Sea front facing rooms (think there are 4 or maybe 5) are expensive, but have a/c and are, in my opi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Hikkaduwa hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Rita's was our first stop in Sri Lanka and was more expensive than a number of guest houses that we subsequently went to. The rooms are fairly basic but have towels, fan etc. The big downside (particularly for our room - room 26) is that the main road is just outside and it's very noisy with lots of vehicles and hooting. It's definitely worth making sure that you get a room as far from the road as possible.

The location is good and the restaurant is good value for money.

The staff were pretty unimpressive - service is slow, they didn't have our booking and we had to wait a couple of hours. If the attitude of the staff improved, it would go a long way to making this a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Avoid room 26 - very noisy
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Arrived at Ritas after a long busride from Colombo. The place is pretty ordinary, nothing special. Rooms are spacious and clean with hot water and no mosquitoes. Power didn't work but staff was friendly and did their best to fix it.

At 10pm the bar next to Ritas starts playing extremely loud music, and it just doesn't stop. Even using some of the best earplugs in the world, it's like sleeping in the middle of a nightclub. Which is fine if you're 20 something and you came to party. But there IS no party. It's just an empty bar playing incredibly loud music and shooting off loud fireworks once in a while to attract customers. The whole day after was ruined as I only had 3 hours of sleep during the night.

Ritas hotel itself is fine, nothing special but a decent place. But part of staying in a guesthouse is sleeping and when you get absolutely NO sleep during the night, I simply would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank yage22
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Everything in this hotel is awful, staff don't like customers at all, if you ordered some food, they will bring you only cold ashes. Room cleaning is not exist. No trash cans in the room and really smelly towels. If you want to live as a Spartans, it's your choise.

• Stayed February 2012
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed at Rita's for two nights at the beginning of our tour of Sri Lanka, the staff was attentive and helped us get acquainted with the island, even arranged airport transfer for our VERY early arrival flights at a very reasonable rate (about 50 USD). Rita's was far more than we expected when we arrived, set on the widest part of the beach with plenty of cabanas for beach time and a beachfront restaurant with the cheapest lion beer we found in Hikkaduwa. The staff knew our names upon arrival and helped us throughout our stay with arranging tours, suggesting where to spend our time, and helping us plan the remainder of our time on the island.

Our room was spotlessly clean, many budget hotels in Sri Lanka (that we experienced) do not have sheets on the bed, but a bed covering and sometimes a top sheet or a blanket, this is the case at Rita's; although, considering the heat and humidity, no blankets were necessary at all. The same goes for lack of hot water. Our room was a non a/c, non hot water room, but I actually said after my first shower there that it was the best shower of my life! We slept with the windows open and the fan on and we were perfectly comfortable at night. Our room was equipped with a mosquito net, which was definitely needed! It's a good idea to put the mosquito net down early in the evening so you don't have any stragglers inside.

Rita's is an excellent place to stay, and a great value (our rate was 2500LKR, or about $21 USD). If I return to Hikkaduwa in the future you can bet you'll find me at Rita's!

Room Tip: I wouldn't spend the extra money on hot water or a/c, the cool shower was very pleasant after a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ludwigshafen, Germany
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I had booked an airconditioned room with a sea view, but when we arrive, the hotel had given the room away and all they had to offer was a non-AC room in the 3rd floor. It was hot, the fan was noisy and I feared it would fall down from the roof because it was shaking while spinning. First I though there weren't any sheets at all, but I discovered the sheets were just dark and had patterns to cover the stains. They were dirty, and especially the pillows and mismatching torn towels were stained and smelly. There was no window pane to the top half of the window and no way to close the window, so all noises from the main street came unhindered to the room. The toilet was dirty and the shower (that surprisingly worked) had a nozzle like a water hose, so it wasn't really a shower. All the water stood on the floor instead of going down the drain, so it was completely unsanitary. Lots of mosquitos.
All in all, horrible!!! We didn't sleep a bit during the one unlucky night we stayed there.
To top it all off, the hotel didn't accept a credit card payment, even though I had made the booking with a credit card.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends