The Asian Jewel is an almost perfect little hotel.
With only 5 rooms, the owners (a charming English couple named Dale and Tanya) are able to devote a good amount of attention to making sure that you are well looked after - without them ever making it feel like too much or like they are invading your privacy. In fact one of the best parts of the place is that you can get just the amount of privacy that you want.
The Asian Jewel is about 2 km from the beach, which in actual fact is perfect. The hotel overlooks a lake and its distance and size provide guests with a great deal of privacy. That said, the owners have a few Tuk Tuk's they work with regularly, so if you want to get to the beach, it never takes more than 10 minutes and costs only what you feel is fair. We walked it one day, and the walk down is quite a ways in the heat, but really beautiful.
We stayed at the Asian Jewel at the end of our trip and found this to be perfect. The food there is very good, and with western owners, the western dishes on the menu are actually cooked properly. It makes for a really nice transition back. In actual fact, I would say that the food at the Asian Jewel was some of the best I had on my entire trip.
Another nice thing about the Asian Jewel is their desire to help you plan your holiday even when it does not involve staying with them. Dale (one half of the couple that owns the Asian Jewel) was really helpful in telling me about different places in Sri Lanka which I should see on my trip and in helping me to organize a driver prior to my arrival in Sri Lanka. I was not staying with him till them end, however, he had suggested some nice places to stay and nice things to do on my travels so I really felt great when I got there and was able to meet the people who had helped to create a really wonderful holiday.
I can't say enough about them. It is not the cheapest place to stay or to eat. That said, it is far far far from most expensive and the attention to detail, the hospitality and the kindness of everyone there makes this place a real gem.
I hope that many people get to enjoy what I consider to be a great spot on the coast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Due to its unique location, the Asian Jewel Hotel, Hikkaduwa - Sri Lanka combines the best of both worlds. Enjoy the tranquility and serenity of the picturesque Bird Lake while being just 2 km inland from Hikkaduwa, one of Sri Lanka's oldest and most established beach resorts. Ever since the very early days of travel, Sri Lanka has been known as one of the world’s most beautiful, diverse and exotic holiday destinations. So, what are you waiting for? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asian Jewel Boutique Hikkaduwa
- Hotel Asian Jewel Boutique