“Hidden piece of paradise”

Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Sydney
“Hidden piece of paradise”
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my 4th visit since 2006 and it never disappoints!
I look at the Asian Jewel as home, as the staff remember returning guests and even remember how you like everything, my first morning down my pot of coffee was brought to me in the lobby, there is no doubting the professionalism of this boutique hotel. All your needs are taken care of down to where is good to visit as well as transportation to get there so you can get on with your holiday without stress and worry! This visit I visited Galle fort, did a little shopping and ate lunch in the peddlers cafe inside the fort, the hotel tuk tuk driver was very helpful and spoke good English so I learned a lot about the area!
I ate dinner every night in the Asian Jewel Restaurant, it was hard to choose as it all is so good, I didn't eat the same dish twice as wanted to try everything! Highly recommended and seeing the amount of outside diners the word must be well and truly out how great it is, even with people coming from other hotels to eat there.
The hotel is in a tranquil setting so you can really relax but know you are not far from the beach and town which is a lovely walk or tuk tuk ride away. An excellent location for photography and bird spotting.
I really liked the fact that the owners are always there to assist and make sure all is well, this is a real plus, Tanya was on hand for the whole of my stay to recommend where to shop and prices I should expect to pay which again was extremely helpful
I am already looking at dates to revisit in a years time. Thank you Asian Jewel x

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Alblack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Mannheim, Germany
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We spent 2 nights in thsi wonderful Boutique Hotel and we really loved it. The hotel is 2 km away from the beach in Hikkaduwa at a lake in a very quiet location. If you want to go to the beach they will arrange a Tuk Ruk for you (the trip takes approx. 10 minutes and costs less than 2 Euros). What makes this place so exceptional is the staff - they are simply terrific.

Would definitely recommend this place to anybody planning to travel to Hikkaduwa

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonoma, California
Reviewed November 10, 2013

After a 12-hour flight from Rome and the most insane 7-hour death ride from the Colombo airport to Hikkaduwa, the muddy and pot-holed dirt road to Asian Jewel seemed like the last ride of our lives. I was ready to pack it in and bail...until Dale, the affable and attentive proprietor, showed-up and convinced us to stay for a night.

That night turned into seven of the best nights of our long vacation. Here's why:

1) The setting is easily the best in Hikkaduwa -- serene, with vistas of the broad lagoon, a gorgeous pool, beautiful wild birds, a couple of cows, and gorgeous jungle solitude.

2) The staff is a team of attentive and super sweet locals who will win your heart with their sincerity and concern for your every need. They are the soul of the hotel.

3) The owners are both kind-hearted professionals who have built a unique property from their perfect vision for a boutique vacation destination.

4) The restaurant is easily the best on the entire southern part of the island. Breakfasts are perfectly prepared with local ingredients and a bowl of buffalo curd (yogurt) with palm honey that will forever haunt my morning dreams. Dinners (the curries!) are consistently amazing. If you watch, you'll see the chef pop into the tiny garden to grab some fresh spices and ingredients for your dinner. After we tried eating in town a couple of times, we then ate dinner at Asian Jewel every night. For dessert, the chocolate brownie with ice cream is insane!

5) The music that pipes from the small bar is perfectly programmed. It works perfectly with the setting.

6) The rooms are airy, spotless and designed with a local beauty that makes them feel like home.

If you have a blindfold, wear it on the way from the main road to the hotel. And when you get there, remember that it's a jungle out there. And the Asian Jewel shines as a sanctuary of the best kind. We love the place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lee S
hikkajewel, Owner at Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Many thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us, its a real shame it took you that long to get down from the airport i know you chose to pick a driver from the airport who brought you the old road and then got lost trying to find us, and also you were unlucky with all the road works that are happening because of the new opening of the Link road to the Highway road, and with all the sign posts being taken down, Sri lanka is improving all the highways and link roads leading to the main tourist areas so in the very near future will improve every bodies travel time to their destination, we always reccommend for you to take the drivers we provide as they know where we are, and ive honestly never known any one take that much time to get here, we had guest arrive on the new express way today and it took them 3hrs with the traffic, so hopefully the new roads are making a difference. we are really glad in the end when leaving you said you will return and gave us the positive review on our hotel and staff many thanks and see you in the future hopefully,best regards Dale and all the staff
Erlach
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Do you know the "wow" effect? If you do, you surely stayed at Asian Jewel ! I spend a totally relaxed week in this beautiful little piece of paradise ! I spend most of my time relaxing on my balcony or at the pool... and took Chaminda "Mister Tuk-Tuk" for small rides around ! The staff of Asian Jewel is absolutly great, friendly, smiling, genuine people. I never had the feeling they were
only beeing nice because they wanted a good tip, they just seem to love this place too and they are proud to be there for you ! Good staff is not that easy to find, but Dale and Tanya managed to find and coach them well. By thevway, they are very very nice too....

The Jasmin room was very nice, plenty of small nice details all over. After having dinner here the first 2 nights, I decided to eat here every evening, it is rare to eat that well in a hotel. I tried almost all the main courses and it would be hard to tell a favourite ! I would like to take the cooks right back home !

I plan to come again, with my family next time.. I want to check by myself if the bumpy road will be
finished....

Thank you to all of you lovely people for this beautiful, relaxing week !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks. The owners are really nice and friendly and give you lots of local information. The staff are really friendly and super helpful. Breakfast is a massive treat. If you go here you really must have the fruit platter with honey and curd Deeeeelicious. This hotel really is an iddillic little retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the town. As the hotel is small we never felt like just another guest. We were made to feel very welcome by Tanya, Dale and all the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nick045
Nairn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was a great recommendation.A small guest hotel.Tanya and Dale run an extremely efficient setup.The curries were the best we have eaten during our twelve years of touring Sri Lanka.Staff were very helpful and pleasant.
My only criticism is about the towels.I feel for a boutique hotel towels should be luxurious and these were not! Perhaps the decor could be improved from brown/cream which gives a rather somber feel.
I would not hesitate on recommending this place.Jenny

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our stay at the Asian Jewel was wonderful! Totally relaxing in a beautiful setting. The rooms are immaculate and very attractive. Tanya and Dale are friendly, welcoming hosts. The food in the restaurant is delicious. We had the Sri Lankan curry 3times in 5 days and never found one to match during the rest of our tour of Sri Lanka. The only downside was the beautiful curtains let too much light in in the morning. Take an eye mask and you'll have a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple