“Okey Dokey "resort" - no great shakes”

Pelwehera Village Resort
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Dambulla
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Hi,

This review has been long long overdue and I hadnt written till now coz I didnt find anything quiet charmingly different about the resort. My family with young kids and us had visited this "Village Resort" after doing bookings by ourselves with help from a few locals I knew. I picked this resort from all the rave reviews I read praising the resort to no end. Also it is strategically placed near Dambulla Caves, Sigiriya Rock formation and Anuradhapura. We had left from Colombo, visited the Pinnawala Elephant sanctuary and drove to Pelwehera. This resort isn't exactly in Sigiriya or Dambulla but a good distance from both isolated with nothing other than paddy fields around. So asking for directions can be difficult.

On arrival, we immediately completed the check in procedure with our welcome drink and were alloted a room on the ground floor with an open patio. The place has a very homely feel with everybody smiling.

We had reached late in the evening, almost dusk. So when we entered our rooms, we also had other uninvited visitors with us; Large mosquitoes. The rooms is large with very basic furniture and a clean bathroom. The very sight of the mosquito nets looming over the beds cautions you of insects. Generally I am not a very fussy traveler, coming from India myself, and visiting a neighboring country, do understand the rigors our nations have to go thru to maintain international standards. But since I was travelling with two very young children, hence the extra caution. In the whole of my most pleasant stay in Sri Lanka, this is the only resort where we smeared on maximum mosquito repellant creams.

All the doors and windows had to be kept constantly closed for fear of mosquitoes and insects. The staff did help us clear out the mosquitoes but yet its still a turn off. We experienced less mosquitoes in the second night spent there as we had kept the room locked all day.The swimming pool is ok and in the nights visited by frogs and crickets. Theres nothing much to explore in the resort as its a very small place.

I noticed that there were a lot of french visitors there ( tour buses) in those 2 nights that I spent there. Frankly I wouldn't rate this resort very high, if it hadn't been for the food especially dinner. For both the nights that we stayed there, the dinner spread and the quality of food was the best I have ever eaten anywhere. Everything from the soup to the starters and the main course and the desserts was simply excellent. I have stayed in a lot of Five Stars and believe me, I haven't relished the food as much as at this quaint little resort. The breakfast spread is adequate but the dinner was sumptuous.

I would also like to make a special mention of the integrity of the manager of the resort. We bustled early from the resort in the morning to visit Anuradhapura and in haste, my husband left his wallet in the side drawers. On realising our mistake, we immediately called the hotel and informed the manager. He personally went to the room and retrieved the wallet and diligently handed it over with every rupee intact. Its such small incidents that reinforce your faith in the innocent people of Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: Close all windows and doors to avoid mosquitoes
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Manasi S

Reviewed September 5, 2011

At first we thought the place is nice. Then, rain started, our room's roof started to leak (and we were out for a tour). Upon return, the room was completely flooded and all our bellongings are soaking in water.
It took teh staff one hour to admit they have alternative room.
No help was offered for drying our clothes.
Set of books (about $150 worth) got completely damaged.
The hotel's manager was on leave but refused to talk to me. He has phisically hang up on me when he heard the story from his staff.
At the end - no compensation for our damage, and the staff dont understand why we were angree.

Summary - find another place!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Yair T
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Very nice spacious rooms, clean bathrooms, swimming pool and garden. The hotel was fully booked in contrast to other places in Sri Lanka we have been to. I think I understand why - offers clean rooms, hot water and relaxing bar after whole day exhaustion. I missed some local spirit, but is a very good choice and I can recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I agree with the other reviews that this hotel does tend to focus on tour groups, but we didn't find that a problem.

The room was big, had effective aircon, a great shower and was very clean. The pool was fine - sure there were a few leaves but it was under the trees so is to be expected. We saw lots of fruit bats flying over when swimming at dusk that we found fascinating!

Food was the standard buffet-style affair, not great but not bad.

Would be good if the hotel offered free wifi though.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank caroline456
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We went in a group of 15 people and half expected a decent hotel. However we were thoroughly disappointed. We checked in for lunch and because there was a wedding going on we were served an extremely mediocre set menu not fitting of its standard. The pool was dirty and contained a lot of dead leaves. Dinner was a buffet however the quality was sub-standard & guests were forced to eat early or face the difficulty of food running out... Finally the breakfast was atrocious (Sausages & Scrambled Egg). In the group of 15 people, 6 individuals ended up with food poisoning. The only good recommendation about the hotel is that its rooms and bathrooms are very large, however cable TV has only one channel which doesn't work properly.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank NizraanJ
Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stayed here as a part of a quick 4 night tour. The location is central so we spent 3 of the nights at this hotel. It seems like the kind of place that gets most of their business from tours as they can accommodate groups with quite a few rooms provide buffet meals and have driver accommodation. The room was fine, meals were average, no internet access which everyone else seems to have. The pool had a green colour to it so we didn't swim which was unfortunate because we were looking forward to some down time in the water. The hotel has zero character as was the case with the other hotels and restaurants we visited on the tour portion of our Sri Lanka trip. The remainder of our trip has been in top rated guesthouses and local bakeshops and restaurants and it's much better than the tourist bubble that Pelwehera is a part of. Pelwehera is an ok base for some site seeing, but spending time at the hotel itself holds no appeal.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We were a group of 30 stayed at Pelwehera Village Resort for two nights. Its a good resort with all basic amenities. Good sized rooms with clean toilets, but do not expect much. TV in the room may or may not work. So do the lights. Beds are on little softer side.
Toilets are bit odd in design and you get only one soap and one shower cap.
Oddly, the rooms are accessed through Common Veranda and that is where the room glass doors and windows open. So expect no privacy. In a large group it works fine but if travelling alone or with spouse always get the last room down the corridor so that nobody peeps into your room without special efforts.
The hotel is bit away from Dambulla town and it is recommended that you have your own transport arrangements. Not possible to just get out and find transport.
Restaurant serves good food and being small in scale you can request the chef to make it to your taste.
There is a bar with limited collection but is reasonably priced.

• Stayed: October 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dambulla
Heritance Kandalama
#14 of 20 in Sigiriya
Amaya Signature
Amaya Signature
#5 of 17 in Dambulla

Been to Pelwehera Village Resort? Share your experiences!