Free cancellation until 07/23
$50
Free cancellation until 07/25
$86
  • Breakfast included
A.I.O Home Stay(Dambulla)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 07/27
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Amaya Lake(Dambulla)
  • Pool
All reviewsno electricityyoga retreatayurvedic treatmentsmagical placefresh coconut waterlife changingayurvedic clinicopen hutsdigital detoxfantastic yogaheaven on earthbody and soulvegetarian foodmud hutyoga teachingphone receptionmosquito net at night
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I find that one of the toughest challenges of accepting life changes is shutting out the turbulence of thoughts, hence, ‘the monkey brain,’ and finding my voice to get pass the mental cluttering. Being secluded in a village surrounded by rice patties for an entire week in the beautiful Ulpotha in the valley of central Sri Lanka was both relaxing and energizing. The Melissa Smith Grace Yoga Retreat at Ulpotha in November 2013 gave me a clarity, outlook, freedom to think and observe and, mostly unexpected connections with souls from all over the world. During my time there, through acro yoga, thai massages offered, and detox with Ayurveda treatments, I was able to reach potentials of elevated state of connections with myself and individuals at the retreats. Melissa’s personal attention to each of her students and warm hospitality of all the hostesses young and old at the village makes my stay there beyond enjoyable. After returning home, I found my voice and reconnected with my family with new-found love and accepted my life changes with clarity. From the gentleness and humbleness of the retreat, I gained new friends through each telling their stories and coming journeys, and seeing the gleaming of each souls through dancing under the stars and fireflies.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank neatster
ulpotha1, Owner at Ulpotha, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review. You have really captured what Ulpotha is all about, thank you. And thank you also for your great comments about Melissa who will be back teaching at Ulpotha this November.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Bright greetings from the management and all the villagers.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

I enjoyed a brief but wonderful stay at Ulpotha at the end of their summer 2014 season. I loved it because.... the staff are friendly and proud of the amazing environment they create on a daily basis; the yoga was thoughtfully taught and suitable for all levels; the food was local, healthy and delicious;it's an incredible place to be introduced to ayurvedic healing and it's properly off grid. No internet, no electric light, no AC. Everything is cooked on wood fires, but there is running water - artfully used in scenic outdoor showers. I encourage visitors to tack on some time to explore Sri Lanka. If you can get off the Lonely Planet circuit your efforts will be generously rewarded. Ulpotha is a brilliant place to begin or end such a journey.

Room Tip: All the shared huts are amazing and I imagine they are cooler at night than rooms in the house. Bring a flashlight!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
ulpotha1, Owner at Ulpotha, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review. You have really captured Ulpotha's ethos very well, thank you.
We hope to welcome you back to Ulpotha one day.
Bright greetings from the management and all the villagers.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a trip that should be done every year for the soul.
A trip to meet other free spirits and like-minded people. A trip to appreciate the simple things in life. A trip to experience amazing hospitality and an even more amazing culture. A trip to practice yoga and meditation in a tiny little bubble of paradise.
This is the first but definitely not the last trip I will do to Ulpotha.
Ulpotha reminded me that life is beautiful, people are kind, and nature extraordinary.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Phoebe T
ulpotha1, Owner at Ulpotha, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Greetings from the Ulpotha management and all the villagers.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Ulpotha was by far the best holiday experience I've ever had.
After being blown away by the beauty of the village and warm welcome I totally relaxed.
My days consisted of yoga, massage, incredible food, swimming and swinging in the hammocks over the lake. I found a new level of relaxation and never wanted to leave.
Padma was a delight, Domonica's massages were sublime and Nico's yoga was perfect.
I loved the way the villages light the lanterns at sundown and turned down our beds.
I'll be back every single year, I miss Ulpotha every day.

• Stayed: June 2014
ulpotha1, Owner at Ulpotha, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Thank you for your kind words! So glad you had an enjoyable time with us at Ulpotha.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Greetings from everyone in the village.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I truly don't think I have ever enjoyed a vacation more. Where in the world can you have no electricity and no hot water and still enjoy 5 star details and care. The environment was spectacular, the people were so kind and attentive.
I am not the kind of person to travel to the same place twice, but I am counting down the days until I can get back there again.
The only issue I had was with my pillow which I found uncomfortable. I know if I had actually said something they would have sorted it out for me.
An experience I will never forget.

Room Tip: All the huts have something extraordinary about them
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Anniquer
ulpotha, Guest Relations Manager at Ulpotha, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Ulpotha and thank you for your kind words. We're happy you understood and enjoyed the magic of the place and only sorry that you didn't mention your pillow while there. We're having it seen to immediately.
We do look forward to welcoming you back one day and in the meantime send all best greetings from the villagers and management.