“Jungle retreat”

Heritance Kandalama
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Dambulla
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The hotel is situated about 10km from Dambulla and overlooks Kandalama Lake. It's built into the side of a mountain and covered by lush foliege. Famed for its eco-friendly philosophy, the hotel is built on a raised platform and surrounded by rain forest.

The highlight of staying here is the feeling that you have been totally engulfed by nature in a beautiful location. Nature also exists inside the open-planned hotel, monkeys will be on your balcony on a morning. On an evening the walls will be covered in lizards and as you walk down the corridor bats fly inches above your head.

Add on all the usual facilities of a top class hotel and you have one of the most spectacular & unforgettable places you are ever likely to stay at. It was an hotel I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Heritance Kandalama

Reviewed June 27, 2010

We booked this hotel in our package we had taken for Srilanka. I would say the best hotel I have stayed in any where. The best thing about this hotel is it is far from the city up on the hill, from your window you can just see the greenery and the birds singing in the morning, which is so refereshing. the staff are very warm and social. the food was amazing too.
The room was fantastic with an glass fronted bathroom and stylishly furnished. Although the monkeys did steal my bikini off the balcony my fault entirely.
Amazing pool over looking the lake and the elephant.
Absolutely unforgetable hotel.
I would recommend people to try this hotel for sure in Srilanka

Reviewed June 27, 2010

I was amazed just entering into the hotel. It was a summer afternoon, straight from the Colombo International Airport to the hotel, about 5 hours tiring journey. Right after I reached to their lobby took me straight to the lobby in front of the “Infinity Pool” and served fresh wood apple juice. I forget everything, my tiring 10 hours flight to Colombo, 5 hours ride and all. Seeing the lake over the infinity pool is amazing, sitting there in the sun rise or sun set is unbelievable scene. Roaming around the hotel is really a great feeling for a tourist.

Good food, very well behaved staffs, hotel, surrounding environment and all, in a word AMAZING. I would like to return there again with my family.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We spent 9 nights at Kandalama earlier this month and found it to be everything we expected and so much more. Our room was very well appointed, the food was varied and lovely and every single member of staff we encountered throughout our stay was an absolute credit to the hotel - always warm and friendly. The hotel itself is in a breathtaking setting and the way it co-exists with the the nature that's all around it makes it truly a unique experience. Then, there was the 'neighbours' - the monkeys so often referred to in the reviews on here. We were treated to daily visits, particularly by a group with youngsters amongst them and the chance to see them up close and personal was a delight to behold. When the time came to leave, it really was the saddest I think I;ve ever been to check out of a hotel.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Wow. This hotel was our base for the middle nights of our Sri Lankan honeymoon tour. This place is out of this world. Built into the rock face, the design is unusual and really beautiful - almost like something from James Bond, it's as if Odd Job might jump out from behind some of the rocks, it's just awesome! The rooms too are amazing! A huge jacuzzi big enough for 2 (well probably about 4 actually if that's your thing) with only the lake, the elephants, and the monkeys for company. Great view too of Sigiriya (huge rock that you may well climb if you are doing one of the usual tours!) The monkeys are a riot - we would hang our bathers out to dry and find that the monkeys loved investigating them! The infinity pool is also beautiful. Not the best food we had in Sri Lanka I have to say, but I would stay here again and I would recommend it, absolutely.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

Stayed two nights. Our room was comfortable. The bathroom posed challenges since the spigots for the deep tub were unreachable unless you got into the tub. Hotel was very busy with Sri Lankan families who were enjoying the swimming pools and buffet meals. The toque macaques provided lots of entertainment. In fact one night we were awakened by crashing sounds on our balcony. The next morning we discovered furniture upended etc. Macaques were busily climbing about and rushing back and forth.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I went there to have some time with my friends. When I saw that place for the first time, I couldn't believe my eyes. The hotel is a masterpiece of eco friendly architecture. The view of the Kandalama tank from the hotel is amazing. The service provided by the hotel staff was excellent. I would like to go there again and again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dambulla
Aliya Resort & Spa
Hotel Sigiriya
Hotel Sigiriya
#6 of 20 in Sigiriya
Cinnamon Lodge Habarana

Been to Heritance Kandalama? Share your experiences!