“Surprising Location & beautiful!”

Heritance Kandalama
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Dambulla
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Surprising Location & beautiful!”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I was really doubt about this hotel when I saw this in magagine & at the same time it was so attractive location in the mountain (remote).
Understood why it is 5stars in Lanka.
Was really appriciated myseld that I pre-arranged for transfer to Hotel, if did not arranged a car, woudl have been nightmare from int"l apt of the distance whcih takes appox 03-04hrs by driving!!

Mos of staffs were helpful & explain about the wildlife surrounging," be careful monkey at the balcony" was also attached notice "do not leave the window open for monkey to let them in" made me anxious upon arrival for my first trip in Far east...

the indication of the number of floor in the elevator & cold have been clearly done by staff not too much confused me to go back to reception,
As my room on 03rd floor, the extrance & main reception is located on 05th floor!

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Emi N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Arabic first

I am an expat Sri Lankan. Enjoyable stay. Overall experience very good

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
UAE
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel has an amazing view and a very relaxing atmosphere. Great bathrooms with a view on the lake and a very spacious bedrooms, but the living room had the most uncomfortable sofas i have ever seen in a hotel.

Three swimming pools, but all the people were using the main one so the other 2 were always empty. No guests, no staff.

The restaurant is pretty bad, the only one that was open during our stay had very bad food and I got poisoned on my first night there and even had to call a doctor to the hotel.

Make sure you have your own driver for tours and transportation(can get one through a tour agency) coz the hotel charges a lot for it.

Very helpful staff. I had an evening dress that had to be altered for an event and they managed to get me a tailor on a very short notice and get a job done for free. And on the days I was sick they were making me special food that wasn't on the menu.

A lot of gay couples.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We travel extensively in Sri Lanka every two years. This is the worst hotel we have stayed. It was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_ at the entrance they handed out a water lily to my daughter but refused to give one to my son when he asked for one because he was not a "girl" which got him all upset.
- my kids wanted me to play the piano for them (as I am a piano teacher and since there was no other live entertainment) but could not get a tune going as it was out of tune and most of the keys were not working. I have never seen a piano in such terrible condition in any other hotel in Sri lanka.
- When we went to the 7th floor pool we were shocked to see a snake entering the pool and there was no pool attendent.
- the balcony on the 7th floor is very dangerous for young kids as they can easily fall.
- the kids took a bath in the jacuzzi and it took most of the night for the water to empty and I could not take a shower as the water would have overflowed. If you are a kid or an older person the jacuzzi was quite a challenge to get in and out.
- the monkeys had takenover our room balcony and it was not safe for us to sit out as they came to our chairs. There was no sign to warn us or tell us not to leave the balcony door open. When I turned to enter the room the monkey went right past me and took a small package from my handbag which was on the bed and ran to the jungle. Thankfully it was not my wallet or camera but I was more concerned for my children as the monkey could be rabid and what if the kids were bitten or scraped?
- The reception at the front desk was not very warm nor welcoming. The manager was horrible when I told him about the discount they were running to celebrate their anniversary he said it finished the day before and could not give me any discount.
- for almost $200 a night PLEASE I beg you there are much better, beautiful and welcoming hotels in Sri Lanka for one fifth the price (I would highly recommend Sigiriya village hotel which is not very far from this hotel for warm and friendly staff, excellent food, value for your money at half the price and an overall pleasant experience) It is a big marketing campaign run by Aitken Spence travels to get people to visit their hotel. LET ME TELL YOU IT IS LOUSY!!!!!!!!!! If you enjoy throwing your hard earned cash go ahead. Most of the visitors were people who had booked their vacation through travel agents who put them only in Aitken Spence hotels in Maldives and Sri Lanka. Most said they would never visit this hotel again and you can count me and anybody who will visit Sri Lanka that I come into contact with and all my relations and friends in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank ramacolorado
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Our stay wasn't long here to experience everything. I believe this unique hotel, cut out of the rocks in front of a lake in the middle of a jungle, must be viewed by everybody once.
The setting is just unbelievable, with an amazing infinity pool.
Superb food and service, just believe everything positive you read about this hotel experience, it is too unque to describe, but expect the best of everything, including, food, staff, ambience, views, accomodation.
Just try it, it is an experience you will never forget.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Glen_Gill_Lockett
Cardiff
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This hotel is really special for two reasons. The wildlife is fantastic, whether your sitting by the pool or in your hotel room is likely that you'll be visited by wild monkeys pretty quickly. You can also watch wild elephants drink at the lake while relaxing in the infinity pool!

The architeture is also really different - the way that the hotel has been built into the rock is like nothing I've ever seen before. It gives the whole hotel quite a natural and calm atmoshpere.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone - whether a family with children or a romantic couple. There were a couple of downsides but they were far outweighed by the benefits. The restaurant serves decent food but did remind me of a school canteen - too busy and noisy. The drinks and snack are overpriced but you really don't have any choice but to buy them there.

The staff were nice and the place was really clean too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CCCCardiff
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I'm not sure where to start...we stayed here as a friend was getting married at the hotel in July. The place is amazing and has everything you could want. If you tried to stay at a similar place in another country you'd definitely pay double the price.

We stayed in the a deluxe room which was very spacious. It had a huge bathroom which had a view looking into the forest and mountain. The service upon arrival is fantastic...it's like arriving at Dr. No's liar in a Bond film as the hotel has been made in a mountain. The facilities are brilliant - 3 x swimming pools and games area. The bar happily serves drinks until the monkeys around the hotel decide to drag you back to your room.

I would happily visit this hotel again and if anyone is considering to go there stop thinking and just book it! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank DoobyUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dambulla
Aliya Resort & Spa
Hotel Sigiriya
Hotel Sigiriya
#6 of 19 in Sigiriya
Cinnamon Lodge Habarana

Been to Heritance Kandalama? Share your experiences!