Kandalama happened by accident to us. We wanted to stop over someplace in Sri Lanka during our honeymoon in Maldives so we did a bit of searching and talking with a few friends. The Kandalama website is a decent one but the real experience once we reached blew us away. We stayed there for 2D/2N
We reached quite late in the night due to a breakdown while travelling from Colombo to Dambull (4.5-5 hrs). So could not see much except the fact that we were somewhere in a pretty dense forest. The Kandalama deluxe rooms that we booked were huge & pretty up there in terms of facilities. The shock we got next morning was an experience, we stepped out into the balcony to see that we were in the middle of a dense forest, across a huge lake, with only the sound of chirping birds, screeching monkeys audible. Kandalama is pleasure as it takes you so close to nature. The bacony has a sitting area with creepers across the facade of the builing.
We were even greeted by a langoor during a sojourn in the balcony. He suddenly appeared out of nowhere, took a swig of our wine, disregarded the taste & left.
The things to do list at Kandalama can be quite big. From aimlessly walking around in the forest, to taking a guided tour of the EcoPark ( especially if you love snakes), to swimming in the Infinity & the Natural pool. For the adventurous, there is a jungle safari on elephants. Kandalama by the way is famous for its wandeing tuskers. Though we didnt catch any wandering one during our walks we saw few from the distance.
Food is quite good. A reasonbly huge & good buffet at breakfast & dinner, with choice of a great coffee shop, an good fine dining restaurant make dining interesting.
All in all a must go for a quiet & back to nature kind of a trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla