We stayed here for 3 days, and it’s probably the most unique hotel I’ve ever stayed in. It’s almost invisible from a distance; it blends in so well to its jungle and cliff surrounds.
The service was lovely and we checked in at the café/pool area that overlooks the lovely lake and jungle areas.
The entire hotel ‘plays’ constantly with the inside / outside, so that you truly feel part of your surrounds.
As you stroll through you may see parts of the rock face weaving in and out, as does the jungle that the rooms back onto or overlook. Wildlife was everywhere; I loved the tiny little tree frogs that you had to be careful not to step on when going back to your room. Swifts had nested in some of the corridors, literally in the ceiling, and obviously they had complete freedom to do so, they were not evicted!
The rooms were lovely, very relaxing with a little lounge area and office area. The bathroom was huge, and you could chose to have the lake view through the full wall size windows, or draw the blinds if you didn’t want the monkeys looking at you!
Free fast wi-fi, quiet air-con.
The buffet was outstanding, some of the best food we have ever eaten which is incredible in a buffet situation. Delicious, varied, perfectly cooked, we thoroughly enjoyed the food. They even gave you the flexibility at a much reduced cost if you just wanted to eat off the salad bar, which we did one night as even that gave so much choice.
We got there at 7.30 pm when it opened and never had a problem getting a seat.
The service was a perfect balance of helpful, without being over the top. We found the English of the staff was okay, but we sometimes needed to repeat ourselves or phrase our question a different way, be patient as they are so willing to help.
We spent our 3 days visiting Siriyga Rock, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla Rock Temple, and an afternoon safari to the national park.
They were quite full days, and my only regret was not being able to spend more time in the hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla