We stayed at the Heritance Kandalama for 3 nights of our honeymoon in February.
The hotel is built into rock, next to a lake, surrounded by jungle on three sides, all of which make a very unique experience. While the room was nicely decorated, it was probably the smallest we stayed in throughout our time in Sri Lanka, but it was still really comfortable, with an amazing shower and an incredibly comfortable bed!
There are three swimming pools throughout the hotel, we tended to use the largest one on the 2nd floor which offers an experience in itself, as you end up sharing it with loads of monkeys, in the trees and running along the walls behind the sun loungers.......that said, they don't pay any attention to the guests so its nothing to worry about.
We organised one trip from the hotel on arrival to Polonnaruwa, the driver was really friendly, but I suspect that you can get it much cheaper by organising a local car. On our second day we got a Tuk Tuk to Sigriya, leaving early in the morning to beat the crowds (and heat!), and he offered far better value for money, even arranging us an airport transfer for the following day. The staff throughout the hotel were all really friendly and helpful.
We ate all meals in the hotel throughout our stay, the food in the bar was exceptional, but don't believe for a minute that they are light bites - one meal was enough for the two of us to share! The restaurant on the top floor offered a superb steak, and the best Sri Lankan curry we had during our trip.....and the milkshakes are to die for! Finally the buffet also offered a varied selection and is well worth a visit.
The only negative we had with the hotel was the lack of information in the rooms. There is no information about the hotel itself ie where the restaurants are, what they offer, where the pools are etc, no information about trips which can be booked from the hotel, and I've still no idea if there is a spa or gym there - all of which meant that we ended up constantly going up to the front desk to ask for information which is normally displayed in any other hotel of this standard.
Overall, a special place to stay which we fully recommend, but it is more to do with the setting than the hotel itself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Prestigia, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla