TripAdvisor

from $53.00
from $60.00
from $217.00
5,583 results
All reviews golden temple worth the climb sri lanka remove your shoes ticket office long climb well worth the effort world heritage site entrance fee walk up your feet century bc take your time wall paintings nice view be careful cultural triangle
Selected filters
Reviewed April 19, 2017

For 1500 rupees, it may be considered a bit steep for visiting 5 small caves but they were filled with Buddha statues. I took some amazing photos of the Buddha statues and marvelled at the details and intricacy of the statues. The entrance is to the left of the golden temple so we got dropped off there. We had to climb a few steps (7 min uphill walk) and then take our shoes off. Make sure to cover your knees (bring a sarong) and cover your shoulders and bring socks so that you don't burn your feet on the ground when it's hot. Instead of paying to leave my shoes, I just put them in my bag. I feel like it was worth the visit. We spend 45 minutes there in total.

Reviewed April 19, 2017

A bit of a trek up the hill but once you have climbed Sigiriya Rock this is easy LOL. It's amazing to see how they carved the images out of the rock and the paintings on the ceiling are beautiful. A wonderful peaceful feeling as you walk round. Beautiful vista at the top too.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed April 19, 2017

The Golden Cave Temple and caves are well worth a visit. Very impressive and accessible on public transport. Only downside was we arrived off the bus from Kandy with rucksacks on the main road outside what we thought was the main entrance, as there is a large gold buddha so looks like and entrance. Unfortunately then discovered we had to walk quite a long way on a hot day to the ticket office on the opposite side where there was a bus car park.. (Could have got a tuk tuk) but wasn't exactly sure how far away it was. Could have had ticket office on both sides I would have thought.

Reviewed April 19, 2017 via mobile

I'm very glad I put in the effort and made it up the uneven, hop-scotch stairs to get to see this incredible Temple.
Cost was 1500rup, or $14AUD, and it took me around 10-15mins to get to the top. That included a few stops to admire the view/catch my breath and take a few snaps of monkeys.
At the top, you remove your shoes (take note where they end up - I found out the hard way, they were taken by a "Shoe Carer" and cost me 25Rup to get them back) and wander through the caves.
There are 5 caves in total, whilst someone who is particular claustrophobic may disagree however you aren't having to crawl or bend - they're huge. The innate work and detail across the statues was incredible across a total of 153 Buddha statues, three statues of Sri Lankan kings and four statues of gods and goddesses. The murals were amazing.
Watch out for the "guides" who will start walking with you, talking and next you know you're on a paid tour only you never agreed to that! I saw them following a few people who didn't speak English trying to say no.
The walk back down was a little quicker however the uneven steps made it an almost equally challenging trip down.
There's a stall at the bottom to purchase cool water, and toilets available (however you'll need your sanitiser after them).
Definitely worth a visit, thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone with a history or cultural interest.

3  Thank fueledbymoxy
Reviewed April 19, 2017 via mobile

We visited the Dambulla cave temples directly from the airport. It takes about 3 hours to reach. En route there are not too many breakfast options. We ate a simple breakfast at Garden Cafe. At the cave temples, the ticket prices are not listed at the entrance. The tickets are 1500 LKR for adults and free for kids upto 11. No discount for SAARC members. The steps are a steep climb, but the views from the top are worth the effort. Also the caves are at the top. One has to remove ones shoes though socks are permitted. During the day time it gets quite hot, so remember to carry socks, water. Caps are not allowed inside, neither sleeveless dresses or shorts. Once you reach the cave temples, there are no shops selling sarongs or scarves, so one must remember to carry those. Overall well maintained, though I couldn't see any toilet facilities.

1  Thank Gothoskar