“Great work of King Dutugamunu” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ruwanwelisaya Dagoba

Ruwanwelisaya Dagoba
More attraction details
Owner description: At 300 feet, it is the third biggest stupa in Anuradhapura.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Great work of King Dutugamunu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

A great piece of ancient Sri Lankan glory. Done by King Dutugamunu in 15th - 16th BC. The best time to visit the chaithaya is early morning or late evening. The floor (Dagaba maluwa) of the chaithaya is covered with tiles made of rock and same get heat up with the rise of the sun and at noon it is too hot you will find it very difficult to walk on those tiles.
When you are entering the chaithaya premises be careful to dress in proper manner since this is a very sacred place and without an appropriate dress you will not be allowed to enter the premisses by the security (police) .

1 Thank Sujeewa W

• Slovak first
Kandy, Sri Lanka
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Most sacred and a great dagaba”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

When you observe this great chaithya , you are amazed as to how this has been built with such precise architecture, where the technology was not developed during the 15th or 16th BC. When you walk around the dagaba you get a great tranquilizing feeling with peace of mind where you can stay in the compound for hours. An ideal place of meditating. Only problem is that when you walk along the path to the dagaba you have to be extremely careful from monkeys who may jump at you and grab what ever in your hands.

Visited July 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“in pristine white”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

A beautiful piece of Sri Lankan history but the day I picked to visit was not the best - it was teeming with worshippers and I even lost my nice sandals - thought the Buddhists would follow their monks' preachings to not steal...

Bangkok, Thailand
“One of word heritage must to go befor die.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I go to Sri-Lanka with friends for sight seeing for 6 days our plan to start northern of Sri-Lanka before visit Sri-Lanka no any expectation about that just go voz can get cheep ticket from Low cost Airline anyway when arrived to magical land can make me surprise always , I out of airport by van a driver tried to convince me to rent his van for travel in all area in Sre-Lanka but that make me bore. I plan to go to northern by Train !!! I go to hub train station wanna booking premium class but it full so no choice I must to book first class that is good coz include meal , and drink and tea , I love tea that staff serve after meal very much train take 4 hrs. bring me to Anuradhapura after chink in a hotel that I booking by agoda before next day the new Driver that I bought travel package that mean car and driver from staff of train station meet me and friends and say first sentense Hello, Nice to meet you and my friend answer 'Ayubowan' that it mean Hello , after Breakfast in hostel is bread, butter and jam and good tea we're start to journey to Big Pagoda 'Ruwanwelisseya Dagoba' in front of pagoda have a flower shop for sell to tourism almost is Lotus have many color When I saw the Big Pagoda first felling is so great , Amazing and believe in believe of Buddhist to make the great pagoda want to another Buddhist can pray and have close area have many build to memorial to historical and Buddha historical . The Our Driver is so great his name is Mr.LAL BALASOORIYA he is Srilankan can speak English very well , friendly and expert in many place and direction , I recommend him , When visitor travel in Anuradhapura or many place in Srilanka should have Driver coz many place must to visit is far although in colombo have very busy traffic , next day I go to Sikiriya that good memorial for me should go to Lion Rock is World heritage have wall Fresco still complete that nice to see, next day to go Dumbulla is old capital city of Srilanka have so nice and good atmosphere almost geographic is hill , small mountain have a big Lake in heart of city and should visit Pra-Keaw-Kaw Temple . I wanna go to Tea Field so Mr.LAL bring me to that so far in same way to Dumbilla University can drive a long time and hill road ,he recommended good Tea factory for us I very happy in that place Mr.LAL recommend many thing that good for us , recommended tradition show must to see, bring me to find ATM, recommended good hostel and cheep , and recommended how to walk and take picture when visit the place .

Visited September 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“WOW - ribbon ceremony was amazing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We fell upon this place fairly randomly after hiring bikes - a GREAT way to see the ruins in my view. This meant we could roam the main site on-road and off-road without being constrained by any guide's view of what we SHOULD see. It meant we fell upon all sorts of wonders, but this was the best...

A group of worshippers were assembling in front of the Stupa with bunches of lilies, trays of petals and covered trays of presumably their own temple's devotional equipment - and a huge roll of red silk. I suspect this was a once-in-every- few-year's (or perhaps a lifetime) trip to an especially holy Stupa for a village's Bhuddist community - no-one I spoke to spoke English and so i couldn't clarify this.

Two musicians (drummer and reed pipe) paraded the group up to the shrine of the Stupa carrying the partially unrolled silk in a train of worshippers wreathed in the smoke of incense. So far so lovely, but then, after parading all the way around the Stupa they proceeded to pass the silk up to a ledge around the dome where 5 orange-robed monks unrolled the silk in a stiff breeze around the whole huge amazingly-white dome.

The view of this brilliant white dome against the vivid-blue sky with the flowing orange robes of the shaved monks unravelling an incredibly long roll of red silk around the dome catching the wind will stay with me for-ever. It was a beautiful devotional event and one I'd hugely recommend you stick around to see if you got lucky like we did.

Look out for that roll of silk in a party of white-robed devotees with their temple offerings or lotus-flowers.