“We had a wonderful stay”

The Lakeside Hotel at Nuwarawewa
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Anuradhapura
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has been completely renovated. Now known as The Lakeside at Nuwarawewa. Stayed there once several years ago and it was just ok. But this time it is a memorable stay. Very tasty food in the restaurant. Beautiful staff at the reception, concierge and also at the restaurant. Can't wait to stay there again

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank SpareAnimalsGoVegan

Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Nuwarawewa Lakeside Hotel can safely be assumed to be among the top hotels in Anuradhapura. Being a travel enthusiast and photographer, I found myself delighted with the elegance and grandeur of this beautiful property. The hotel is set beside a captivating lakeside that fans away your weariness with its calm serenity.We arrived at the hotel on a Sunday evening and stayed there for a total of three peaceful days. Upon arrival, we noticed that the hotel had recently been through some major renovation. After these much needed refurbishments, the place looked rather impressive and modish. We received a warm reception from their staff, all of whom were polite and took the time to see to our requests. The waiters were friendly and sincerely enthusiastic as they went about doing their chores. We stayed in a triple bedroom with A/C. The rooms were cozy and complete with every facility we could have wished for. The balcony afforded us a great view of the hotel gardens, the swimming pool and the charming Nuwarawewa Lake. The room had cable TV and a kettle for making coffee or tea. The bathroom was clean and had hot water. There was also a selection of luxurious body wash and body lotion bottles to choose from. The one with the Lotus flower fragrance was definitely to my liking! We just couldn’t come up with anything to complain about.Breakfast at Nuwarawewa Lakeside Hotel was fun, with a range of yummies to pick from. We recommend the Cheese Omelet: it comes with a basket of fresh bread and awesome chocolate donuts! You will be served with a plate of fruits for dessert.For lunch, try the rice with devilled chicken; just heavenly. And for dessert try the Fruit salad, Banana Mousse or the Chocolate Mud Pie. We highly approve of the Chocolate Mud Pie. The thick crust of chocolate cookie crumbs and smooth chocolate within is to die for. Dinner at the hotel offers much variety. We suggest that you try some from the Fish Plate, Chicken Plate and Cheese Spaghetti for a great combination!Everything at Nuwarawewa Lakeside Hotel was pretty amazing; the rooms, services and the food. We would totally recommend this place to everyone looking for a memorable vacation experience in Anuradhapura.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chamara F
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I was skeptical about staying here after some of the lukewarm reviews on this site - but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We walked in late on a Sunday evening and found ourselves in a newly renovated lobby that was large, well-lit and welcoming. We were given our welcome drinks and escorted to our rooms (12 and 12A) - which were absolutely lovely. Facing the pool and beyond that the lake, the rooms were clean, tasteful and comfortable. For me, this was one of the better hotel beds I've slept on and after a day of traipsing around temples and ancient sites, I was glad to sink into it.

Also, the food! We had ala-carte for all three of our meals - and I very much enjoyed all of them. Everything was good and some of the dishes were really stand-out. They bake all their breads and pastries fresh daily - so the morning's bread basket was a real treat especially those warm chocolate covered donuts.

Room Tip: Our room 12A was very nice - on the second floor in the corner.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank brownbummed
Reviewed December 22, 2013

First of all, I can't say anything about the rooms or food as my husband and I purely came here for the pool.
What I can say is that we were charged double the amount per person that is mentioned in the guidebooks we read (three of them). The guidebooks say it is 500 rupees, they said it was 1000 pp. Even after mentioning the guidebooks.
Then there was the pool....it is nothing special, and the chairs by the pool didn't even have cushions on them. So this means you're sitting on a not very comfortable wooden chair.
We tried to change some money, not even large bills (1000 rupees into smaller bills), for the tuktuk, but this could not be done. They had the money, but just wouldn't do it....
Overall a very bad experience, I am very glad we weren't staying there overnight. Though the location at the lakeside is okay, there are a lot of hotels in Anuradhapura that look way more appealing and also have, as we've experienced, a way better service!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Rosanne-Holland
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My friends and I stayed there for a couple of days last month, and loved it. The location is ideal if you're thinking of exploring Anuradhapura's historical sites, and we managed to check out many sites without enduring the tedium of a long drive to get to them. I understand that the hotel has been renovated recently, and this has been done well - our rooms were comfortable and well-equipped, with air conditioning, hot water, room service etc, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was great too - I'd recommend their chocolate mud cake for dessert!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanna R
Reviewed December 5, 2013

i went last november 11 .in this hotel and my wife b'thday. we went dinner to resturant .we are too happy nice arragment. and decor in the tabel for my wife birthday .and spical thxs demi chef and ex. chef make nice b'day cake.and food is wow.service is excellent.
after dinner we went our room is turndown is wow decor and arragment h/k maneger and staff.for thanxs. my wife. we enjoied our holiday .02 nights and 03day we stay in this hotel
g.m and f.b manager is excellent help .our holiday.all staff is too help our holiday.
rooms cleaning pool is excellent
really we are enjoied our holiday .too nice ana we went tempal early morning demi chef too help cooked milk rice for thanks him.
location is soo nice . really our next year anniversary and my wife b'day we come nuwarawewa rest house.

Room Tip: room no18 is nice location
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rasika S
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located for sightseeing in the area, and is very close to the town. The staff are very helpfull and charming from the manager Hermon to the reception, waiters etc.
The food was very good, and we enjoyed the pool, with its view of the lake. The hotel also has a lovely garden and one can see many birds just sitting there, plus the hotel's troupe of monkeys.
The rooms I am glad to hear will be redecorated this year, as there are in desperate need of being renovated etc. The hotel could be a little cleaner however, but this will be resolved once it has been refurbished.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurshed rooms, the hotel has just a few of these as they are in the process of...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple