Palm Garden Village Hotel
  • Restaurant
Hotel Randiya(Anuradhapura)
Miridiya Lake Resort(Anuradhapura)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswild elephantssri lankaswimming poolfour poster bednice lakesurrounded by treesreception areadouble showerbird watchingbuffet dinnerstayed longerset menurooms are spaciouspacked breakfastmosquito netgreat poolwilpattu national park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We arrived in the dark and were allocated our rooms thankfully near the Hotel and the pool. My room was very comfortable. The Verandah outside was fantastic and we all sat around in the evening and morning on them which gave the feel of actually living there rather than being in a hotel. I loved the design and plan of it. The wood in the hotel was superb and really like that in Sri Lankan homes so that you felt more at home than in a Hotel - just lovely. I had a wonderful morning swim with the pool all to myself and found it magical. There were lots of birds to watch and tree names to learn. The setting is a delight and the tank well worth walking to as again I saw lots of interesting birds. There were Monkeys also.
The chef was very friendly and informative. I enjoyed the food.
There is one area that needs more effort: I think they need to pay more attention to the room each time they service it. Despite a large white piece of paper across the toilet saying it was clean it actually wasn't. Others have commented on the below par feel to the bathroom and they are right. However the amount of time one is in there is really minimal as it is the grounds you want to be in so again it was not really significant. Still, it could have done with being a little cleaner.
My kettle did not work for Morning tea and I noticed the wire at the back had insulating tape on which the person I called began joggling so I asked for a new kettle which came and worked as I was not keen on having a potentially dodgy wire connection. My AC did not work at night and when I called someone in the morning they took the batteries out and put them back in so it worked so it all felt a little 'Heath Robinson' in style and I had rather a hot night. However the view in the morning light and unique location after a long and dusty day at all the sites means it is a very good place and I would definitely return as I loved it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Everything about this hotel is lovely .lovely room ,lovely public areas ,lovely food and amazing staff . The staff was very tentative to our needs from the time we arrived . An amazing addition to the hotel was the lake that was situated at the back .specially the restaurant staff . I was travelling with a four year kid . They were so tentative to us and our little kid .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If it was not so expensive this place would be a great location to stay at if you're in the area. The expense was in particular related to the food which was below par as it lacked taste and was cold at times. Rooms are large but bathrooms are tight and in need of updating. The shower water was warmish but lacked pressure. The swimming is large and in keeping with the lush surroundings. Considering the hotel was built around 10 yrs ago it does seem to have been sympathetically built in keeping with the wider area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here during a conference in Vavuniya. We arrived prior to the check in time, we were given a standard chalet temporarily until our room was ready. We immediately spotted a dead cockroach under our bed. The standard chalet/room was not maintained well at all. After about an hour we were given a Deluxe room which was much spacious and hygienic. The bathroom is much like a hospital bathroom with old and filthy fittings. The bathrooms are in high need of renovation.

The hotel is very neat with its own arboretum which is filled with an assortment of Butterflies and other insects, endemic animals, birds and trees. I don't recommend the pool which is filthy and filled with chlorine-concentrated water.

The food served at the main restaurant is superb and clean.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms closer to the pool and reception are easily accessible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Palm Garden Village Hotel in Anuradhapura is in an attractive environment at Pandulagama, Puttalam Road Anuradhapura. The hotel is quite nicely constructed with duplex and triplex cottages spread on a vast area with full of greenery. The rooms are comfortable though the toilet would be insufficient in space for a fat person especially the shower cubicle where one can get trapped, The spring mattress is too soft. The mini bar in the room contain only two bottles of soft drinks. The service is poor and one will have to wait for some one to come and ask what is needed. Even after taking an order it can take unreasonable time for the order to be brought.
The food is simple Sri Lankan food, EXORBITANTLY priced.
The lunch comprising of very few dishes is priced 10 times its price in a Colombo restaurant. It is sad to add that the items served in this hotel is much less than what one can get from a road side restaurant in Sri Lanka.
We expected a better dinner. But alas, it turned out to be another disaster of the day. Boiled rice in its several forms was all that was in the main course, with few curries and condiments. The Soup was horrible in taste.
We had to take a decision of cutting short our stay from the planned two days to just one day just due to the quality of food served
But at the end of the day we got an unforgettable bill .......................

Room Tip: Just stay on ROOM ONLY basis so that one can get food from the nearby restaurants in Anuradhapura.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family