“very friendly and peaceful rest”

Lake View Tourist Guest House
Ranked #30 of 150 Anuradhapura B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my first guest house on my trip through Sri Lanka in March 2013.
The rooms are simple but good and the owner family was very polite and friendly. The meals were good and fair priced. They care a lot about their beautiful garden site. I liked the atmosphere a lot. The two men who worked there for the family were both were nice and friendly and they seemed to be happy to work there. 100% recommendable place!!

One more thing to mention in this context:
Anuradhapura is a phantastic place!! But Mihintale, as a smaller, less touristic town next to Anuradhapura is an even more phantastic place for the culture of Buddhism. It is the birthplace of Sri Lankan Buddhism and you can see so many wonderful peaceful places there. I visited it two times with a local guide from Mihintale, I met him on my first day there. His name is Amara. He was the friendliest person I met in my entire life, I am serious! And he showed and told me so many phantastic things out there. His English is very good and he has a license as tourist guide in Sri Lanka. I talked to him and he agreed that I write his number in here, which is 071 257 1472. You should definitely give him a call, when you are in Anuradhapura or Mihintale. He has got his own TuckTuck and he also offers trips around Anuradhapura. You can trust me, he is doing a great job :))

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Benedikt B

Reviewed April 28, 2013

not much of a view of the lake. Rooms are a bit on the small side but clean enough & sufficient for the independent "lonely planeteer"
A little bit out of town but a Rs 100 rikshaw gets you there quickly.
Friendly manager, mediocre breakfast.
Family room is only adequate for 3 really, as we 4 found out.
No mildew noted, strong smell of camphor; maybe they read trip advisor!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank fallfans
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights,and have no complaints.It's not a luxoury place,but everything you need is there.Clean rooms,wifi,nice terrace upstairs,bicycles for rent and very friendly and correct staff.I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank eveke2ndsky
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Quiet friendly place with accommodating host, bicycles, busy kitchen with OK rice and curry but far from the best I've had in Sri Lanka. Room was OK for the price, Rs 1800 and riding a bicycle around the Sacred Precincts was a wonderful experience.

I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SamandJanet
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights. We had a simple room, price was ok, location of this GH is good, no noise from outside, breakfast and dinner was great, staff as well. We rent bikes there for traveling in Anuradhapura, which was great too (250 RS one bike).

What was not so good was strange smell in our room (milew?), mildew in bathroom and really noisy fan. So be carefull when choosing a room there, the others are maybe better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here one night and for the price and location it was fine. The room was clean; the bathroom clean enough (we had a shower curtain!) and there was no hot water. Not really needed because this area is very hot. We were told by the owner to get off at the old bus station since this guesthouse would be a 100 rupee Tuk Tuk ride. We told our bus driver this, but he still dropped us off at the New bus station so we ended up paying 250 rupees. The guesthouse has bikes for rent, but check them carefully before you set off since some of them are not that good. There is a restaurant and drinks available. We did not eat here so I can’t comment on the food. There is a nice garden area to chill out in when your day is done. For a night or 2 this place is good for the money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bikingmom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lovely friendly family. Had a basic room on the first floor and it was more than sufficient for my needs. You have to bear in mind that this is a budget option and should be reviewed as such. Good food, dinner more so than breakfast. Bicycle rental available, which I recommend for exploring the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo