“Smiles means business in this guesthouse”
Review of Lake Wave Hotel

Lake Wave Hotel
Ranked #14 of 159 Anuradhapura B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We were recommended this guesthouse and as we arrived late in the evening we just stayed.
The downstairs room was humid and not pleasant.
Dinner was overlypriced for the quality of the food we had. My partner just become unwell the morninig after.
Sticky plastic covers in the dining room. We never saw doing any general cleaning.
The family was friendly to the point of calling me 'daughter'. However, when it came to pay the bill we were charged lots and also although we should have checked it, Mr Uppali didn't add up the bill correctly so we ended up paying a lot more!!!

For us it was the worst guesthouse we stayed in terms of facilities. The location is great.
The food was mediocre and the family definitely means more business than hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Virs84

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The family is very,very nice.The quest house is nice and have beaufulll view .Also you can ask the owner about what to see and how to organise.This is really good choice.
We have been with children and the also enjoyed the accomodation

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Honestly, I was not happy at all with our stay in Lake Wave but since I maybe biased, I shall try separate my reviews between facts and opinions so you guys can decide for yourself whether it is something you want:

Facts
1. Stayed in the room upstairs which is pleasant with ensuite bathroom. When we checked in, the mosquito net has a huge cockroach in it and the bathroom sink was choked. Thus, my boyfriend has to put his hand into the murky water and try to clear it.
2. My boyfriend's headset was bitten by something (maybe a mouse or a cockroach) on our 2nd night because he did not leave it under the mosquito net and it did not work well after that.
3. Paid 1500 Rupees each for a trip organised by Mr Upali (he told us that it is cheaper than the US$25 per person we have to pay for tickets otherwise). We were brought to sites where no one checks the tickets (looks free) and when we requested to go to a specific site, Mr Upali said that we can't because there is a security office there and we have to end up buying tickets. We had our own car so we do not really need the tuk tuk transfer.
4. We checked in pretty late in the evening and we asked about dinner. Mr Upali said that he can cook curry and rice for us. When we asked how much it is, he did not tell us and just said that 'Don't worry. It is cheap'. We ended up paying 2-3 times of what we would have paid if we went to a local place.
5. We were charged 300 Rupees each for breakfast consisting of toasts, jam, butter, an egg and tea/coffee. It is our fault though as we did not ask for the price.
6. We asked for price of the laundry before we gave Mr Upali our laundry, and his wife tried to charge us 50% more than the price when we collected it (lucky that we checked). In all fairness, Mr Upali said that he gave us a special discount and that is what caused the confusion.
7. Asked for a mosquito net for a bed in the room but was never given.
8. 1 of the upstairs room is like a greenhouse keeping all the heat in it. It is cooler to stay outside than in the room with the fan on full blast.
9. Mrs Upali charged us more for the beer we had on the second night as compared to the first night. I told her to check the receipt which Mr Upali wrote for us for the first night and she realised her mistake. But she told me (exact words), 'Are you not happy? Do you want me to call my husband?'. My response was that if she charges us the same price, I am fine.
10. Power stopped working on our first night from 4am. When we asked Mr Upali about it, he said that there is power shortage everyday. When we came back in the afternoon, power was still not back. We asked again why the power cut is from 4am-3pm? He finally realised that it is not the usual power shortage of a few hours per day and decide to check on it. Eventually, he found the problem and fixed it.

Opinions
1. Room is new and thus is reasonably clean (impossible to be too dirty when it is new).

2. There are construction work being done, but apparently, it should be completed in 1 month's time. Not much of a problem as there were no works being done at night.

3. We told Mr Upali our budget and he agreed that we are quite low on budget. However, he appears to be really nice from the start, saying things like how he thinks certain things should not be run like a business and everyone should feel comfortable. He told us how some tuk tuks drivers will offer a cheaper price than him because they will bring us to the duplicate places and not the real things, that is why we should book the trip with him. We trusted him at that point in time because he appeared so friendly and helpful (we really thought that he genuinely wanted to help us), that is why we booked the trip with him because we trusted him. However, after we went on the trip and realised that we were not checked at all for all the tickets and he is just one of the guys who bring us to the free places. That is when we start to not trust him anymore. We got our own vehicle and really do not need to pay 1500 each for a tuk tuk.

He also should have let us know the price of the food instead of just telling us that it is cheap and did not tell us. It is our mistake for trusting him and not pressing him for the price but thought he could have been a bit more ethical. I will gladly pay that price if I choose to, but not when I felt like I was being cheated into it.

4. The wife really should not have threatened me with calling her husband when she realised that it is her mistake for charging us wrongly. Really bad attitude.

Never have I felt so pissed off and angry while staying in a place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ruo
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We have been travelling in S.E. and Southern Asia for nearly six months and this was by far the worst place we have stayed. We booked at Lake Wave on the basis of reviews on Trip Advisor and we have to say that our experience was very different to many of these.
When we arrived, we were shown to our (downstairs) room, which had grubby curtains and windows and a rusty trolley to put our belongings on. (I know that there are newer rooms upstairs and these might be better, but they are all priced the same). We had to ask on three occasions to be provided with sheets, toilet paper and towels. The furniture in the "dining area" was inadequate and consisted of plastic chairs and a few odd tables in a room which as many reviews have sugested is a "work in progress".
The host, Upali, is pleasant enough, as many reviewers have pointed out, but he spent a lot of time uneccesarily "fussing" over guests, when perhaps he would have been better employed running the hotel in a more efficient way. We found the food to be OK but not as good as reviews had led us to believe. In fact, on our last morning there, we sat at our table and found that we had been given (cold) fried eggs and toast, covered by a piece of newspaper!
I am aware that Lake View is a cheap place to stay, but we have stayed in other guesthouses in a similar price range and our experience has been very different. I think Upali trades too much on his easy going character and although he is keen to be helpful, travellers really want decent quality accommodation and we certainly didn't get that here.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms upstairs. Downstairs roms are very poor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WorcesterWanderer6
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Reviews on Lake Wave made us keen to book, now we wonder if those reviewers actually stayed in the same place.It was completely different from our experience of the last three days there.A warm welcome and farewell admittedly, but so much lacking In between -poor food handling hygiene, building site atmosphere, shabby and little attention to detail, maintenance and repairs.A
nightmare in other words.
There are two different hotels owned by this same owner with similar names. I am referring to Lake Wave that is under construction.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DLange_12
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was just at Upalis place for 2 days but I could have easily staied for a few months. This was the first place on Sri Lanka for me where I more felt like being part of the small family than a tourist! The rooms are good, the upstairs ones are beautiful, the food is awesome and the family is just lovely! You will have a lot of fun staying here!!! I would recommend this place to every traveler!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2012

it was just an awesome experience to stay at lake wave.i felt from the beginning as a family member.i changed my mind and stayed there for more than a week instaed of two days.of course,the guesthouse is still under construction,but i felt never disturbed about that.and it's common if you are staying close to a lake,there will be moskitos,it's natural,that's why i liked this quiet place.hanging in the hammock and watching the birds
the typical srilankan food was really delicious,and you can order western food as well.
it was very hard to leave this cosy place.i'llbe back.
for upali and his wife (mama) all the best for the future!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo