“Calm Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Anuradhapura
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Calm Hotel”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just went for a day out on 24th of Feb, the hotel is nice and the location also excellent. its clean and clam hotel. the service also good. the staff is very friendly. Swimming pool is good, but they have to maintain it well. Foods also good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and I wish to thank the management and staff for the quality and courteous service that was provided to me and my family during my stay there. I further wish to say that I will recommend this hotel without any hesitation to anyone interested. Two matters that I need to bring to the notice of the management –

1. The fact that there are a little too many flies in the rooms and restaurant area.
2. I noticed a few stray dogs around the car park, can be a danger to guests.

It is my intention to return again someday whenever I get the opportunity to holiday in this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: ask ground floor rooms.. cos they have the direct access to the pool, dining areas , and of cos to t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here one night and found the rooms clean and comfortable. Ours had a nice view of the lake, and the pool was lovely and in a nice setting. The food was not exceptional in any way, but mediocre buffet food. The staff were very attentive, but not overbearing--they brought us big comfortable towels while we went swimming in a rainstorm. The water in the sinks in the washrooms near the restaurant was brown, but the room water was very clean and there was plenty of hot water--we were grateful because it was unusually cold and rainy! The pool had a separate kids' section, which was great, but there is an issue with the grout, so you need to be a little careful because the tiles on the bottom can be sharp.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
Edison, NJ
Reviewed February 13, 2013

In my 2 weeks of travel in Sri Lanka I would consider this hotel as the bottom of the barrel dump. Here are my reasons, firstly the rooms are dirty, the towels were worn out with holesin them, the walls were dirty, cobwebs in various parts of the room. The curtains has a tonne of mosquitoes that were dead lying behind them. The bathrooms were dispicable and un-usable. The food was terrible , they seem to want to cook food for the western palete which is an absolute disaster, one of the dishes was boiled and buttered vegetables ( which cusine does this originate from ?).
The service in the restaurant is terrible "Called for cuttlery 3 times before we recieved it". Mosquitoes killed us as we dined. They had no napkins and we had to ask multiple times before we were given just a couple of napkins for 5 of us!, The glasses were non washed and smelled awful and had to be sent back to get cleaned glasses.
My wife orded an omlette which they promised to bring to the table but never materialized, we had to return and re-order and wait to get it.
It caters to tour groups, seems like Russian / French who don't understand what quality/service is as long as they get their wine and liquor once they are boozed up. No fresh juice at breakfast it was concentrated sugar shot. The dessert was a disaster, the coffe was colored brown water, this has got to be the worst hotl I have stayed in the immediate past.
When I was checking out they try to hand me a feedback sheet.... I wanted to laugh in their face, I said sorry I am in a rush will will provide you feedback on tripadvisor!.
In fact the bathroom was so dirty I asked my wife not to give our 2 year old baby a shower and rather a body wipe and wait till we got to the next hotel which was heaven compared to this dump.
Further icing on the cake no Elevator to the 3rd floor and my 73 year old mother had to climb all the way up while getting bitten by mosquitoes. They promptly allotted all the rooms on the ground and first floor to tour groups and kept none for a wanting senior citizen. Stay away from this DUMP. The only thing nice here seems to be the well kept gardens & pool. Wifi only in lobby.....I am terribly dissaponited by this place
I have been far better backpacked hostels in south america in my college days for under 5$.

Room Tip: Just don't go, run like the plague
1 Thank Xkuger

Travelers are raving about these Anuradhapura hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for a night and it was adequate for what we needed. The rooms were spacious and generally clean. The dining facilities were excellent and we enjoyed the dinner and breakfast buffets they provided (both containing an impressive variety of quality fare). The service throughout the hotel was quick and polite. Beautiful surroundings if you have time to take them in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Good location near the lake. Room comfortable and decent bathroom. Tasty local food from restaurant. Egg station was late in setting up for buffet breakfast. Bar room looked unwelcoming so didn't bother to go in. Satisfactory for a night's stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the heritage and had a very pleasant stay. The hotel is set in a perfect setting to see the ruins on the edge of a lake which you can take a 20 minute stroll around enjoying the views until you are amongst some of the ancient sites. From the hotel they can even arrange bike hire with the bikes getting delivered to the hotel which is an excellent way to explore the ruins. The rooms were very clean and spacious with comfortable beds and a working tv with some good channels which was a plus. The food was very nice if a little over priced but there are very few options for eating out in anuradhapura so this was to be expected. The buffet in the evening was delicious although the breakfast buffet left a little to be desired, most buffet stands were empty and with many files around them. Above all the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome, however I did feel they may have over stepped their mark a little and were rather over crowding - especially at meal times when they linger next to your table watching you eat and making it impossible to have a private conversation. This wasn't helped by the emptiness of the hotel and many times we were the only people dining in the restaurant which was rather unatmospheric. One downside is you have to pay for wifi and it is very expensive. Overall however we had a very enjoyable stay and if your lucky enough to have sunshine on your visit there is a very tranquil pool area to enjoy set back in the trees.

• Stayed January 2013