“Nice rooms, but hotel could be better maintained”

Boa Vista Guest House
Doha, Qatar
“Nice rooms, but hotel could be better maintained”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I were beneficiaries of a careless mistake by the hotel staff. They put us in the deluxe AC rooms on the first floor with a view of the lake. Our booking was, however, for the basic rooms in the dungeon-like basement. Eventually, we paid the regular rates, but got twice the value for our money.

The hotel owner is friendly and helpful, but not too keen to keep things clean. By Sri Lankan standards, the rates are moderate to high though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
scarborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel was in a lovely location overlooking the lake.The room was spacious and comfortable with a mosquito net provided.The bathroom was dated and in need of some tlc,but at the end of the day for £25 a night B=for two what more could you want?The owner was very charming and lovely along with her staff,extremely informative and helpfull.We had a gorgeous evening meal of curry for an extra £5.
The hotel got us in touch with an excellent tuc tuc driver/guide called Raiffe.He was very safe,informative and knowledgeable and charged us £30 for the full day including all the attractions/temples monuments.The trip was fantastic with all the mindblowing monuments and templesHis number is 0777036828 (when in sri lanka).it was awsome feeding the gibbons at the temples,they were very gentle and not aggresive unlike the monkeys which were very aggresive and tried to pinch your belongings and food,so be warned!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

With two children and only two nights in Anuradhupura the proximity of the Boa Vista to the ruins was excellent. We were able to hire four bikes, two of which were adjusted to suit our 8 & 11 year olds, and we explored about as much as is possible between dawn and dusk.
The room was comfortable for four, and the 'curry & rice' delicious.

• Stayed August 2012
Heiloo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

It could have been a beautifull guesthouse but unfortunately it is in rapid decline. The rooms are spacious with a nice view but the whole guesthouse is in a poor state. The bathroom was old and dirty. The owner was friendly but had no interest in running her guesthouse. She was sitting having drinks and sigaretes all day. Our stay was fine but the guesthouse did not leave a very good impression.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colin_ijpelaan

Travelers are raving about these Anuradhapura hotels

Britain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Although we recognise this was budget accommodation, we genuinely felt this was not worth the money.

The room was not clean and it was damp. The bed had grubby counterpanes. There were mosquitoes and the mosquito net was damaged and didn't reach across the double bed. The towels were grey. The bathroom was dirty and the shower curtain ragged. There were two cockroaches. There was only 2 minutes of hot water. See photos.

There was a wedding the day we stayed, which resulted in no staff being available, nor access to any food.

They did provide free bikes and you are allowed to use the internet in the manager's office.

I can not recommend this guest house.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harobed
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

I made a reservation for two nights at this guest house... When making the reservation, I wrote that my time of arrival would be at 4 p.m.

Unfortunately, my flight to Colombo was delayed and, therefore, I couldn't get the bus I wanted to take to Anuradhapura. My cell phone wasn't working properly and, when I finally could charge it, I tried to phone to the two telephone numbers of Boa Vista I got... I phoned ten times each number and I got no answer (I made these calls at about 7 p.m. which, from my point of view, is not a ungodly hour of the evening at all).

So, when I finally got to the town at 11 p.m., I found myself with no accommodation at all. Fortunately, the bus driver took me to some places where I could find affordable guest houses.

After solving my problems with accommodation, I rented a bike the next morning to visit the archeological area of the town. I happened to ride the bike close to the Boa Vista Guest House and I could see how isolated the whole place is. It's relatively close to the ticket booth for the ruins but it's far from the main shopping area and even farther from any of the two bus stations.

Thank you for nothing, staff of Boa Vista!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JG_Vermeulen
Weymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

After 2 weeks in Sri Lanka and staying at a variety of guest houses, I then came to Boa Vista. The dead flowers on the Reception desk, the large broken wall clock and the aquarium which hadn't been cleaned for months should have been a clue!Good location right next to the lake but that's as good as it gets. Grubby room, dirty bathroom. Staff, when there were any, couldn't speak English although all the guests were Westerners. Inadequate breakfast and a complete feeling that the place was in rapid decline. Shame as it could be a great base while in Anuradhapura

Room Tip: Go somewhere else