Tripadvisor
Fafa Island
All reviews fish day trip hot water outdoor bathroom our honeymoon low tide bird life south pacific marine reserve food was great superior fale bush walk relaxing holiday stayed nights boat ride little piece of paradise palm trees
Selected filters
Reviewed December 21, 2019 via mobile

I had to be honest with my review, I always like to leave a honest review.
This island is perfect for couple.perfect for families, snorkelling was amazing... the fale are nice clean and comfortable. 10 out of 10 for accommodation and the island. I could have given Fafa resort more points but the service is not terrific. it was our anniversary on the 13 of Dec. so even booking the accommodation we did mention it's our anniversary!!! no one is paying attention!! anyways on the eve of the 13 of Dec, I went and see the lady who run the resort her name is Sirig.. purchased one of their pearl necklace which is amazing! I told her it's for our anniversary!! she ignore it again and straight away reach for the eftpos machine..same night I've organised with them to bring some flowers in the morning and decorate our table for breakfast and I've booked a special table in the corner for it. this is night before our anniversary. anyways long story short... there was nothing special on the 13th of Dec.. no flower, no table and she said they forgot..the staff on that night 12 of Dec didn't leave a note for morning staff's... PAYING ATTENTION!! Sirig was aware of all the arrangements but forgot she's nice May be a bit cold..(my personal opinion) anyways I've mentioned it to the staff on that day.. Lusi who then apologized and she quickly light some candles up and get us a bottle of champagne!! Thank you Lusi who has been working there for 14 years. anyways... I still love this island.. I hope that the staff will be paying attention next time. I didn't ask for a apologies or a congratulations.. I just want them to pay attention to small things that are important to couple or tourists.
a couple of tips. if you're big eater like me May be take the full board.or half board. (bring your own snacks from the main island... or you will be hungry as the food is expensive and very small portion. if your watching what you eat and this is a great place for you. food here is awesome by the way!
everything is in euro so do the match before you go down. we snorkel in the Maldives and FaFa is up there in aspects of corals colours. it's a marine reserve so you will see quite a few fish. (you can't fish here as i was planning to fish) anyways my wife love this island and still enjoy it which also helps!!
anyways this island is a perfect getaway for couple who need a quiet and peaceful experience!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeffhT4538IN
FafaIslandResort, General Manager at Fafa Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Jeff,

We really appreciate you taking the time to post this honest and balanced review as we’re always striving to improve the service we offer on Fafa Island.

We are very sorry your anniversary was not everything you imagined and that you felt let down by our service. Unfortunately the organisation of your anniversary was an error on our part — a misunderstanding that occurred when our staff were changing shifts. We regret that it left you feeling frustrated on your special day.

Our chef was delighted to hear you enjoyed our food but yes, portion sizes are subjective and it’s not easy to get it right for everyone. Many people tell us our meal sizes are too big and ask if they can have a half portion, whereas our local patrons who are used to bigger meals sometimes need to order a little more. Whatever happens, we’re always happy to whip something else up for you in the kitchen if you find you’re still hungry! Just say the word…

Once again, we apologise we dropped the ball on your anniversary and thank you for writing this review. We hope we’ll have the chance to make it up to you when you and your wife next time you visit us on Fafa Island.

Reviewed December 10, 2019 via mobile

Took a day trip to the island and it was lovely, the views, the snorkelling. Unfortunately due to low tide we couldnt kayak.

The food is okay, the place is lovely for a couples honeymoon as there are private bungalows.

Must visit.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2019

Breath-taking views, aqua green water, beautiful setting...an amazing, chilled out place. Much appreciated amidst a busy schedule of work. Well-run, friendly staff, clean, private bungalows. Loved the solar outdoor shower, surrounded by tropical plants, flowers and the clear blue sky. Hammocks, kayaks and massage were appreciated, as were the sun deck right on the water. Amazing food. The lodge is zero waste and eco-friendly in a serious way. Cocktails and prices could have been better, but would definitely go back!

Room tip: Rooms slightly away from the main restaurant are quieter.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank SkywalkerTraveller
Reviewed November 23, 2019 via mobile

Did a day trip to Fafa island and thoroughly enjoyed it. You start this trip by going to the boat dock and catching their boat. I expected a ticket booth or a sign indicating how to take this trip, but this is Tonga! You just have to find the man on the boat and ask if he’s going to Fafa island! The boat leaves promptly at 11am, and you pay for the day trip once your on the island (92 Tongan dollars per person, well worth it!).
It’s a pleasant short 30 minute ride across flat protected waters to the island. The facilities in the island are first rate. Beautifully built and placed units nestled among the palms and native bush. They have a wonderful bush walk where you see parrots, flying fox and native birds. The beaches are beautiful white sand and the snorkeling in the marine reserve is spectacular. So many different kinds of coral and fish! The highlight is the lunch, perfectly cooked fresh mahi-mahi! If your a day tripper you can’t really use the kayaks, etc, so next time I come, I will just stay at this wonderful restort! Boat takes you back at 4:30 pm, after a wonderful relaxing day at Fafa island. You will want to return some day.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2019

This little paradise is delightful and fascinating and filled with opportunity - opportunity to do nothing in paradise in splendid isolation - opportunity to explore idyllic havens, exquisite coral gardens, or swim with whales - the choice is yours. The climate lends itself to enjoyment. The staff are wonderfully friendly and helpful when you need them.
Our week spent on Fafa passed far too quickly.

Room tip: The huts are spare in furnishings as suits an ecovillage. Be prepared to leave it all behind.
Date of stay: September 2019