“Fantastic”
Review of Fafa Island Resort

Fafa Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fafa Island
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our stay at Fafa was due to the managements kind gesture of donating five nights to the Christchurch Earthquake Charity Auction. We were lucky to have won this auction for this worthy cause and thoroughly enjoyed our time at Fafa. The Island is the epitome of Pacific paradise. The Bures well laid out providing a sense of privacy. Totally relaxing, good snorkeling and the best food we have had in the Islands. Massive portions and you have got to try the Lobster. Lovely, friendly staff that were both attentive but not intrusive. LOVED OUR STAY!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kiwi-wewe

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Well what can I say about Fa Fa? Fa fa Fabulous!!!!! we loved it so much, my husband and I went on Dec 20th for 11 wonderful days, it really is paradise and a hiden gem. We loved our fales Huni, and loved the staff, we were so relaxed, was just a unforgettable time. The accommodation is basic, as is the island but that only makes it more 'special', it's so private, quiet and just wonderful.
Food was delicious, we did the breakfast and dinner package, which was perfect (no lunch) as you get so much food you don't require lunch. Going to Malinoa Island to snorkel was like blue lagoon, that is worth doing! blue water and white sand, another litte paradise. I could go on and on, really you must go visit! we will be back for sure!!!

2  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We loved Fafa so much the first time in January 2012 we went back in December 2012 and what a great treat to end the year. The beautiful island with pristine water surrounding it and you basically have your own beach on this peaceful island.
The fales are great, nice and open for those hot and muggy nights which is just what you need! The island is run on solar power which is great and the beautiful outdoor shower makes you feel you really are back to nature.
The food was yet again amazing .... something we always crave once we leave the island, and converting the Tongan $$$ back to NZ means the meals are really reasonable and of a great standard .. yum!!
I definitely recommend staying at Fafa if you are after a peaceful break in a true untouched paradise, we will definitely be back for a 3rd time that is for sure.
Thanks Fafa once again!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both Pua and Huni and both of them were great :)
2  Thank Kerryanne W
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The island was exactly how it looked on the website: no photo-shopping at all!!!!
We stayed for 8 nights over Christmas/NYE; the staff were all very friendly and helpful plus the new years eve celebrations they organised were a blast!!! All the fales felt very private and we loved the open breezy nature of them. The highlight of the room was the outdoor bathroom- very private but in a jungle garden. The water on Fafa was rain water or from desalination- it was perfectly drinkable I didn’t buy bottled except on the main island. I recommend paying for a breakfast/dinner package, the meals were superb. The in /outdoor beach bar was bliss.
Fafa is surrounded by reef, swimming and snorkelling off the sandy beach outside each fale is so easy that I didn’t miss a pool at all.
The main island is about 45 mins away by boat (runs twice per day) although there are not are great deal of eating/shopping choices over there. There is a wonderful Sunday Family Tour available which gives an insight to Tongan culture. Both fishing and diving can be organised but we found both companies very casual in the off-season. A massage on Fafa is the best way to start of a relaxing holiday.
In summary: Fafa is perfect if you want to relax between small bursts of snorkelling, kayaking, diving or fishing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Babs666
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have already reviewed Fafa Island Resort - in 2010 - and it was just as good this time.

We stayed in the same fale as previous trips - Kaute - and it was bliss. This time we travelled in July which meant in was Whale season which was very exciting, however a little cooler than our previous trip in March. I didnt mind the cooler weather as I am very fair skinned and this time I didn't burn, versus our previous trip.

The menu and chefs seemed to have really improved since our previous trip - the food was varied, fresh and delicious. We also (once again) drank a lot of wine and beer and felt the prices were very reasonable for Tonga.

It disappoints me when I read negative reviews about Fafa - especially when the comments are from mis-informed travelers who haven't done their research.

This isn't the type of resort if you want aircon, TV and all inclusive meals and activities... this is a true break from reality, a desert island experience.

We will be going back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the restaurant if you want the best privacy
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed January 1, 2013

In the fales there are a lot of cupim that have destroyed the beds structure. Also, the rooms are so dark during the night. There are not lights enough to iluminate the rooms of the fale.
It is necessary to install long curtains in the windows, 'cause the guests have not privacy in anytime. Nowadays, the curtains are short and transparent.
The staff are so friendly!
Both manager, Heidy and Birgit are so kindly and corteous. They supported me to solve a trouble I had with my other flight to Fiji. Thanks a lot for your supporting me!

2  Thank KINO K
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Looks great , both hotel & island. Hope to be there next year. I am planning about making my way to Tonga Island to have a honeymoon with my beloved one. Hope to be there .. Also , I am very curios about diving there and local things to do advices on my arrival. Hope I will receive a nice & informative welcome meeting.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
#10 of 13 in Nuku'alofa
Little Italy Hotel
Little Italy Hotel
#4 of 13 in Nuku'alofa

Been to Fafa Island Resort? Share your experiences!