“Great base for family visit”

Holiday Inn Gwangju
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Gwangju
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Welcoming faces, staff with good English and a quiet location all made our recent visit to Gwangju such a memorable one. Our children loved the pool & buffet, we loved how easy it all was to get transport, recommendations & all sorts of help. In particular when I had an allergic reaction to something at dinner, the chef was very concerned & he called the duty manager who was very helpful & even took me to the hospital nearby to get help. Whilst it was an experience that I am not recommending(!) having the manager so interested and with me all the time to deal with the hospital & my ignorance of the Korean language was such a relief. Many thanks - we look forward to a return visit in a few years.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FussyTravellerfromOz
holidayinngwanju, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Gwangju, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear FuzzyTravellerfromOZ,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to share your review and we are all glad to hear that you and your family had enjoyable stay with Holiday Inn Gwangju.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in Gwangju in future.

Most Sincerely,
Song Ju Young
Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Gwangju

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Its a brand in a suburban sector of Korea and it sticks to its reputation of good service, quality food and cleanliness.
Here for a business trip and it serves my purpose.
Value for money, good alternate options for global cuisine, in case you get tired of the korean one.

Room Tip: You wont get a great view from which ever floor you're stationed on, as there isn't much aro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
holidayinngwanju, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gwangju, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest.........many thanks for providing us with your review. We very much appreciate your observations which I pass on to all our Employee Teams.

I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you when you next visit Holiday Inn Gwangju.

With my best regards.........Michael Wilson, General manager

Reviewed May 31, 2013

A brand new hotel with modern design, the rooms were spacious and flawless. It has a relatively good location, just USD 15 cab ride away from the Gwangju KTX station. What left an impression was the friendly concierge service. We arrived in Gwangju late and asked for recommendations, The concierge staff happily recommended us a pub street just 3 minutes taxi ride away, which was an awesome location for hanging out at night. Taxis in Gwangju are really affordable.

The next day, we had arranged for a call-van to pick us up at the hotel to travel to somewhere else, but the driver couldn't understand English at all. The reception staff were so kind to help us with the translation, and told us we could call the front desk if we encounter any communication problems during our trip. We really appreciated the helpful and friendly service!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank nemrac_coco
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The best Holiday Inn I've ever been to by far. Very reasonable rates, and well appointed rooms. Extremely modern and well-furnished, although I did notice some trim falling off, and paint peeling. Nothing that really bothered me though.

Staff was very helpful, spoke fluent English, and were able to accommodate me last minute during a very busy holiday season. Continental Breakfast is included, and offers a lot of variety, both Asian and Western.

The hotel is located across the street from the convention center, and next door to a wedding chapel. The hotel can be absolutely packed for weddings on weekends, so much so police have to close the intersection and direct traffic outside. Rooms on upper floors away from the street are quiet regardless, though.

The biggest downside is it's about 8 blocks away from downtown, so it's a good 20 minute walk to reach the restaurant hubs downtown. This isn't too bad in the summer, but can be brutal in the wintertime.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street, on upper floors.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank fortneja
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Holiday Inn in Gwangju is located near the airport in an area that is being quickly built up. Currently, it is only about a 15 minute walk from shopping and restaraunts but it looks like a very large convention center is going in just across the street.

Corporate rate for a room with a King bed was about $116 per night with a basic Western-style breakfast included. Breakfast choice includes eggs/omlette, cereal, fruit, bacon, sausage links, coffee and pastry. A basic Asian breakfast is also available. Neither were outstanding but were about average for a business stay. However, in a 10-day stay, I did find either the milk or the omlette disagreeable on two occasions and had to return from work in the morning. This is highly unusual for me.

The room was also pretty average for Asia. Plenty of granite in the bathroom and a comfortable bed, but the lights in the bathroom were dim and the water pressure low (although there was plenty of hot water). I found the I-pod clock radio impossible to set and almost no storage room for my clothes.

Service was friendly enough and the staff's english was good. Upon returning from work early one night, I was looking forward catching the happy hour. I had asked the front desk about it when I left that morning and was told that it was "all-you-can-eat finger food, wine and beer" from 1830-2100. After arriving in the bar, I stated to the hostess that I had not been to the happy hour at the hotel yet and asked her how it worked. I was told exactly the same thing about the finger food and drinks. Two glasses of wine and two plates of finger food later, I was presented with a bill for $30. Both the front desk and hostess had ample opportunity to mention the cost to me when I inquired about the happy hour, but both chose to leave that bit of information out. I felt taken advantage of but grudgingly paid the bill. $30 didn't break the bank, but the food/drinks weren't worth the price and I left with a sour experience. When I return to visit my customer, I will probably try another hotel

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel borders a field and rooms there are very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Gwangju, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Frank777_42,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and the convenient location of our hotel in the area. We would like to apologize for the over all issues you had that did not live up to your expectations and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Brand new hotel with very clean and well designed rooms. Breakfast was good for Korea.

Location is not perfect. However the subway station is close and taxis are cheap.

I would like to mention the deputy manager, Mr. Young for his wonderful and friendly service.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Ofer1981
Reviewed February 19, 2013

What a delight it was to stay at the beautiful Holiday Inn Gwangju South Korea! This modern property with excellent location, is the best Holiday Inn I have experienced. The impeccably clean suites are spacious, modern and well-equipped. In particular, I loved the beautiful bathroom in my upgraded Junior Suite. The warm welcome by Matthew at reception and his recognition of my Platinum status reflected the overall outstanding service experienced in the hotel throughout my stay. Holiday Inn Gwangju is a prime example of how a hotel should be run.

Room Tip: Membership to the IHG Priority Club is a must if you are staying at any IHG property.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business