“A pleasant surprise, would recommend staying at this hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ideal Hotel

Ideal Hotel
West Midlands
“A pleasant surprise, would recommend staying at this hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I wasn't quite sure what to expect at this hotel. I travelled to Podgorica to see England play Montenegro. I spoke to some people who had travelled from England and had stayed in some 'interesting' hotels in Podgorica!

I am happy to say that I think we stayed in one of the better hotels in the city. The rooms were quite spacious, very clean with a modern bathroom/shower. The staff are friendly. We didn't arrive until 11pm due to having a late flight and the reception was still open. The staff opened the bar for us to have a drink and ordered us a taxi to the city centre. They also arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 4:40am when we departed as our flight home was early. Location wise the city centre is a taxi journey away but taxis are incredibly cheap and the hotel order one for you as I said. There are a selection of bars near the hotel. There is also a good supermarket and a bank nearby. My friend changed his currency at the bank.

This hotel was good value. Due to there being a few thousand England fans in the city when we travelled it was quite difficult to find a hotel in Podgorica. I am happy that I managed to find this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor which had nice views of the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

It's a great place to stay because of the value, accommodating staff and location. For 40euros, we got double bed and breakfast. My husband and I came there around 2am and the reception greeted us pleasantly. It's a 2-star hotel but it exceeded our expectation. They have a nice room and great breakfast (sausages, cheese,bread and coffee..varieties listed on their menu so you can choose what you want). Although the staff don't wear business suits(which I find more cozy) it didn't hinder them in providing you great service. The hotel staff were very helpful in giving us tips on our tours like how to get to places(RTG Repubike, Millenium Bridge and Gorica Forest Park..about 15-20mins walk because all are just in the area) and which taxi to take(taxi w/o meter tends to overcharge so better take those w/meters..average is 1euro from hotel to city center). The hotel is situated in a quiet place so its an ideal getaway after a day of walking and exploring the busy city filled with tourists.All in all we really enjoyed our stay there. We'll definitely go back there if we have to visit podgorica again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Donegal, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is ideal. I am very used to budget places but this was of a higher standard than I am used to. The staff were very helpful and friendly (though sometimes in Montenegro that is hard to tell as superficially they seem a bit sullen). The breakfast was very decent and included in the price. The location is a little way from the centre but taxis are so cheap it was of little consequence.

Overall, it'd be the only place I'd stay in Podgorica.

Room Tip: We had twin (room 19) which was at the top and had a lovely view of the mountains. I think rooms 1...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

The good news is that this really is a nice little hotel...simple but nice looking rooms, helpful staff, etc. Unfortunately you have to get past a couple of negatives to get to the positive. First of all it is situated on a nice little street overlooking a big depressing looking vacant field so it takes a moment to realize what a pleasant green walled in front yard exists just in front. Secondly and more importantly, the rooms I sampled were steeped in cigarette smoke. The first one smelled so bad that I sked to be moved and the second was better but I still could smell it. I kept my windows open and there was a forest fire on the mountain side so the cigarette smell was smoked out so to speak by the burning trees in the vicinity. I know Americans have gotten very picky about this but we are so used to rooms being pretty much smoke free by now it's hard to go back. FOR THE PRICE THIS HOTEL IS A GOOD DEAL. KEEP SOME ROOMS SMOKE-FREE.

Room Tip: If cigarette smoke smell bothers you should email them and ask if they have some rooms that are smok...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

I needed somewhere just for one night as I flew out of Podgorica airport and this place was fantastic. It was one of the cheapest places around at EUR30 for a single room and exactly what I was after. It's about a 15 minute walk into the city and in a very quiet area. The guy who greeted me at reception was very friendly and helpful and breakfast was decent. It's very clean with free wifi and cable TV (though there weren't many English channels). The only bad thing about this place was the pillows, which were very high and uncomfortable. Notwithstanding this small criticism, this place is great value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

I found that hotel on the internet and I choose it because of the in-room wireless internet and the reasonnable price (30 euros per night including breakfast). My room was okay, in the standard of all two-star european family-run hotel. The wireless internet was a bit slow but allowed me to check and send emails, however it was not speedy enough for Skype voice to function properly - but for chat it was ok. The hotel has no central heating but individual air conditioners, of which the heating function is not powerful enough for cold winter nights, so it was a bit chilly. My rate included a breakfast and the breakfast room was supposed to open at 7am. On the first day the hotel owner did not get up and showed up at 07:45, he went to purchase some bread and pastries and came back at 08.00 while a few guests were patiently waiting. He then had to mow the coffee beans and to get the coffed machine running. The breakfast butter was of an expensive French trademark but had a repelling cheesy smell, despite it was well before expiry date. On the second morning I showed up at 07:45am. The breakfast room was locked up and it was difficult to find somebody to pay my bill, while I was in a hurry because my taxi to the airport arrived earlier. I rang the bell and the owner's father got up and took my money still half in dreams.:) Since once again no coffee was ready and since I was not willing to keep my taxi waiting, which I could have done (maybe for extra money), I decided to leave on an empty stomach, and paid a horrendous price at the airport for a rudely served coffee and piece of cake. Despite the hotel owner family has that funny get-up problem, which makes things difficult if you are on business and have a schedule in the morning, the hotel is well run and the owner family is nice. I would recommend this hotel if you are a tourist, not getting up early, and looking for a clean, quite, reasonnably priced place to stay in Podgorica, with internet. There is a small supermarket on the nearby roundabout where you can buy some fruit or drinks, and I also recommend, on the left side of the main street to town center, maybe 500 meters away from the hotel, a small shop that sells to locals pastries and breads stuffed with spinach or cheese, or mushrooms, etc... Try those breads, they are delicious, they cost nothing, and the owner lady will make every effort to explain her breads with the very few english words that she knows.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cph
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

Great hotel with good staff, Just out of town but easy to walk into and from . taxis are also cheap from here

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends