“Doesn't deserve 4 stars”
Review of Hotel Blue Star

Hotel Blue Star
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Budva
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Hotel is situated in the center of Budva and everything is within walking distance, old town, shops, post office, night bars... The gentleman that worked in the night shift at the reception was really nice, polite and helpful, which cannot be said for other receptionist. We spent 3 nights there, and even though our stay in Budva was nice I wouldn't go to this hotel again. Breakfast was OK, and the lady that was at the buffet was really nice and polite too. Our room was big and nicely decorated on first look, but after few minutes we realised the carpet hasn't been vacuumed for months probably (it wasn't vacuumed during our stay neither), tables were full of dust; there was a hole the size of tennis ball on the ceiling in the corridor which had stains from, I assume, dripping water. Night stand had burned marks as if somebody left cigarettes burning on them and the room had a smell of cigarettes which nonsmokers (as myself) notice immediately. When we were checking out the maid came down and said to the receptionist that we took something from the bar (which we didn't) but was unsure herself if that something was even placed in the bar before our arrival. I don't think hotel staff should have this kind of conversation in front of guests. If this was a 2 or 3 star hotel, I think I would't be this disappointed, but for a 4 star hotel, I expect much more. All 3 star hotels we stayed at around Europe were way cleaner and better organised than this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HannahSt

Reviewed October 11, 2010

The service is excellent, an at the bottom, this counts the most.Small and clean hotel, at good location in Budva, very cheap, everything is stated!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We chose Budva and the Bue Star Hotel to explore Kotor Bay and the mountains around. The Blue Star is rated as a 4 star and I believe deserve the classification. It is a modern building, good and big rooms, good bathroom, good dinning room and a small elevator. The breakfast was good also. The beach it is 10 minutes walking and we can find more restaurants there and a little bit far there is the Old Town with more restaurants, bars, shops and so on. The price is also very reasonable when compared with the prices at Croatia. For us was a excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elica49
Reviewed September 18, 2009

The room was nice and clean, the breakfast was a little bit poor, but I think the price is too much comparative with the quote.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2009

A friend of mine told me about the hotel and im glad they did.
It was a friendly place to stay 5 Min's from were you need be be in Budva
old town.The rooms are very comfortable and service was grate. All in all
not a bad place to stay for the money in Budva, as it can be very expensive
in the bigger hotels near by.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank gibo61
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I arrived at the hotel during high season and it was perhaps the only room left in Montenegro. I was a bit shocked to pay 100 euros per night, but the room was nice and it was, afterall the high season. I had no running water on the morning that I left, so I was unable to bathe prior to a 9 hour bus ride where I sat uncomfortably knowing that my odor was probably quite offensive to the 50 other passengers aboard. When I brought it to the attention to the person at the front desk, he was unable to do anything except charge my credit card for my stay. I didn't expect much from him, personally as he was the late night worker, however, I certainly expected running water from a 4 or 5 star hotel, which, when one does the currency conversion, was every bit as expensive as one in Paris, London, or New York.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 31, 2007

We were there two nights between Xmas and New Year. The weather was clear and sunny but cold at night....which led to our first problem...no heating. The aircon is supposed to double as a heating system. It didn't. Vaguely warm are dribbled out at a pathetic rate. We were cold and they had no portable heaters to offer us. Someone did come to fix it but all he did was to confirm it wasn't working. Brilliant !!
We were offered an alternative room only to lug our cases (no help!) up two floors to find twin beds rather than the kingsize we'd left behind ! We opted for the kingsize. Nothing else was available apparently, even tho the place seemed half empty.
Which brings us to the beds. Possibly the hardest I've ever had the misfortune to sleep on. We had to use the spare thin duvet as extra padding. Never again !
Bathroom - hair dryer was next to useless. Bring your own !
The shower tray had not been installed properly and the sealant had split from the wall. Water was seeping under the shower tray and out onto the floor at the front. I dread to think what the underneath of the tray looked like ! Black with mould I would imagine !
Food varied between bad and awful. We had dinner the first night and it was bad. Breakfast the following day was even worse. I'm not sure what it was they served us as coffee...I think that it might have been well used Castrol GTX. It certainly had no taste of coffee! The food was as bad.
We didn't eat in the 2nd night.....
2nd morning's breakfast was better as they had a full buffet. Where was this the previous morning ????? Even had palatable coffee. Ask for Nescafe, i.e. instant, but it is VERY milky.
Beware the stairs in the hotel. They are marble and have no gripper strips across them. They are VERY slippery. I fell badly on the first night and still have problems over a month later (cartilage or ligament?). If it was the UK I'd be sueing !
A shame really. The hotel is new and smart but does not live up to expectations. Poor food and maintenance need to be addressed. I would not expect to pay €180 per night for this !
p.s. the reception staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Budva
Hotel Budva
#1 of 25 in Budva
Hotel Slovenska Plaza
Hotel Slovenska Plaza
#10 of 25 in Budva

Been to Hotel Blue Star? Share your experiences!