“Wish we could have stayed longer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zebrabar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Louis
Zebrabar
Barnstaple, North Devon, United Kingdom
“Wish we could have stayed longer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I would like to echo the sentiments of the other positive reviews for Zebrabar. My friend and I arrived after a 3000 mile motorcycle journey from the UK over 12 days and we were ready for a break.

We arrived late at night and the staff on duty welcomed us and showed us to the bungalow we decided to stay in as we really didn't feel like getting the tents out. The folllowing day we spoke to Ursula and Martil, the owners and joined them and their family for our evening meal. They made us welcome and included us in their conversation as well as another German couple who also joined us.

Our bungalow was compact, clean and comfortable. The wiring was basic with no outlet sockets for charging equipment, but that could be done at the bar if necessary.

The facilities were shared, but always very clean. Ample hot water for the showers and wash facilities. My only comment would be that Wi-Fi availability is something that overland travellers really rate very highly, even essential. When you are away from home for weeks. or months at a time it is essential to keep in contact with friends and family back at home. I appreciate the owners desire to encourage guest to talk to each other rather than having heads buried in laptops etc, but in these modern times of easy communication I'd say Wi-Fi is crucial and Ursula and Martil ought to re-consider their stance here.

The environment is wonderful, private beach, incredible wildlife, stunning views from the observation tower etc, etc.

My last comment is about the owners willingness to assist and co-operate. I arrived late at night. I had no local currency. Martil was happy to meet us in St Louis on our departure day for us to pay after we had found an ATM.
We also had problems with our legal paperwork. 3 month visa to be in the country but only 2 days for our bikes!!!!!!! Martil arranged for us to meet a local chap (Zargane) whose raison d'etre was to end bureaucratic corruption, he arranged a 4 day extension for the bikes which enabled us to continue our journey to Mali and back to Mauritania afterwards. Later, when we met a corrupt policeman at the border who demanded Euros or we wouldn't have our passports returned, a phonecall to Zargane sorted our problem.

In summary; a wonderful location, clean premises, helpful staff and owners who went out of their way to assist us. Food was excellent too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed 2 days the week of October 13th. There were 5 children and 2 adults in our group. I knew nothing about Zebrabar before arriving because my friend made all the plans. This is various levels of camping at a great location. I’m giving it 4 stars but for all you westerners, don’t mistake this for a 4 star resort. I saw people in tents they brought and some with campers.

The Room: We stayed in the 2 floor family unit that was right next to the water. There were lights in the 2 story unit but no outlets so you’ll need to charge your gadgets at the bar. There is no Wi-Fi. There were towels but if you are a wash cloth person, bring your own. There was also hot water in the unit. There is no air-conditioning or fan but if you open all the screened windows, you’ll get a decent breeze but you won’t feel the breeze if you are under the mosquito net. There is a wonderful view from the deck. I felt safe.

Food: We ate breakfast and dinner there. The dinner was great. The breakfast was French/African French style. From what I’ve learned from visits to Senegal and France in the past, they don’t eat very much for breakfast, and certainly no 3 and 4 item American style country breakfasts. The servers were very attentive.

Wildlife: I saw a small lizard in the room. It didn’t bother us. I saw a couple of monkeys running around the campground. I don’t know what kind they were. When they came around, everyone came out to get a look at them. There were thousands or millions of baby crabs on the beach at high noon but they bury themselves in the sand when one walks towards them. There were giant adult crabs walking around the camp ground but they also run away from you. There were some colorful birds but I’m not into birds so I can’t tell you what they were. I didn’t see any snakes.

Getting There: We drove from Dakar about 4 hours. Ursula was very helpful in helping us get there because we found it a little hard to find once past Louga because we didn’t have GPS. If you are coming from Dakar and you don’t have 4 wheel drive, don’t take the frontage road on approach to Zebrabar, even if it seems shorter unless you are looking for an adventure.

I plan to return next year and in addition to normal travel/camping items, I will bring swim equipment, sun protection for boating, a flashlight for finding my way back to the room, a car lighter AC adapter for charging things with the car, inexpensive camera and extra fruit that you can buy on the side of the road on the way there for snacking. The price was fair and we were in the most expensive unit. The kids had a lot of fun.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Alright then.....it must have been some very positive-reaction to the beauty and tranquility of this place that had me staying and enjoying ZebraBar camping for 2 weeks, after a 3,000 km motorbike trip from the far north. Yes, i stayed in my tent while there.....but the multi-Nationals that rented bungalows, or used their own overland vehicles, seemed to share my bliss. Security, kindness from staff, cleanliness of baths and toilets.....along with the surrounding beauty of the National Park nature and beaches, all come together for a Unique Package.

Reactions might vary from person to person, but the Basic Intent is there......one feels it: Nature and a well-organized/safe haven is what the owners definitely have in mind for visitors.

The region's (at times) flip-flop bureaucracy can frustrate or frazzle some visitors' journey......but i have witnessed the owners (Martin and Ursula) go well out-of-their-way to help and assist different travellers with paperwork, stamps, payments, permits, etc. It is understandable that at certain times the staff.....or the enviornment.....might not live up to one's expectations. But the owners are very fair-minded, and are certainly approachable to correct an error and make things right for the visitor. Thanks again ZebraBar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Oeiras, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

we were a group of 80 people. It was one of those places that really promise a lot. Apart from the beautiful location, in a National Park, the service was real bad, the owners, a Belgian couple and their sons, i guess, plus staff, were absolutely disgraceful.Bad attitude, not nice at all for a customer (mind you that we were 80), when we ask for something they speak among each other in Flemish, so that we do not understand, and take joy on it. Abs awful.
Do not recommend at all. Toilettes were out of water and paper, and despite our warnings, they stay like that. the bath was a boiler. if one take more that 5 min., a person, it quickly gets cold. The price it's not cheap. You can share. but, take it from me..... go to the north of Senegal. it was the same or even more beauty than that part. Plus, you don't get to stay near Saint-Louis, a place you don't wanna go, because it's one of the most dangerous citys of the world. Cheers

Room Tip: Chose a Bungalow for two ( 1 bed) it's more than enough.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Augusto C
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

After three weeks driving across Africa and contending with Senegalese customs officials the zebrabar is an awesome place to eat into your transit visa, the rooms are eclectic and funky, we stayed in a shipping container, the food is excellent and you get to meet some great characters who are passing through, no visit to Senegal is complete without getting there.

• Stayed January 2013
Velden am Woerthersee, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

On the way south this place was mentioned to me a lot by fellow travellers, so I decided to check it out when I was in the area. It is a large campground, in fact, the property is so big it doesn't feel cramped even at a high occupancy. It is a very beautiful setting with palms and plenty of trees for shade. You can pitch your tent on the soft sand or park your vehicle but there are also bungalows available, from very simple to luxurious. I had a small bungalow, which was a little house with a bed, and used the shared facilities. It was all clean and well kept. Management and staff are very friendly and make you feel at home from arrival. The riverside location is superb, there is a small dune that separates the campground from a long beach. The river is safe for swimming. Kajaks and surfboards can be borrowed for free so the river is easily crossed and the long Island that separates it from the sea is easily reached. There is an untouched wide sandy beach, extremely beautiful and most of the time I could enjoy it completely by myself. I had breakfast and most of the time dinner here too which was always very well prepared. Drinks I found a little more expensive than average however this is the only price you pay for the location. Saint Louis is about 20 km away on a new road and easily reached by taxi, if you don't have your own transport. I intended to stay here for a few days, and ended up staying for three weeks. I can highly recommend this place, it is an attraction by itself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank alpenbewohner
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

great location, friendly staff , affordable and stocks beer! the huts are extremely comfortable and clean with mosquito nets. food was good. Ideal stop .

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends