“a very cold place”
Review of Hotel Dambovita

Hotel Dambovita
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Targoviste
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is old and poorly refurbished. The elevator is so loud and the noise it makes is so strange, like an upset stomach but 100 times louder. We had a room with no view – some blocks and dumpsters in the back of the building – and the heating wasn’t working. There were no extra blankets.
The location is in the center, but that’s the entire plus there is.

Room Tip: ask for a room far away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cricriroro

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel has very good rooms, all with a balkong and large. Good quality and very clean. The Wifi was available and free. It also worked well as also the aircondition in the rooms.
The breakfast was organized specially for our group and it was very good. They did not have a restaurant, but there were several nice restaurants in the neigbourhood, so it was no problem for us.The staff was also very helpful and friedly.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and with a balcany.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ritva189934
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Very basic hotel: single beds, old design, basic rooms. It's clean, well-located but nothing more than that. Good for spending a single night while you are on the road. This seems to be the best hotel in town so it's either here or Bucharest...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank eranrunner
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Right in the centre of town close to bars, restaurants etc. And opposite the main church and park - a beautiful morning walk.
Hotel is very basic but clean with friendly and helpful staff. There is a lovely coffee shop next door great for espresso in the morning or a quick beer in the evening.
Breakfast is mediocre (go next door for coffee!) but the service is good.
Beds aren't particularly comfortable and sadly the air conditioning doesn't work so it gets quite hot during thr summer (our party had 7 rooms overall and no-one had working air-con).
There is a very limited choice of hotels in the town so if you want to stay in this part of Romania this one is fine but expect no frills!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dragonfly05
Reviewed November 27, 2009

The Dambovita is in centre town and does not look really modern. I had a room on the frontside with airco. The room at the frontside had a small balconnney and overlooked the Boulevard Libertatii and a small charming park. The Blvd Lib was not really busy at night. I am a light sleeper but I was not too much disturbed by the streetnoise.
The rooms at the backside overlook (free) parkingplaces.
All rooms have a fridge, radio & TV. The bathroom has a shower and although it does not look very modern it is very clean. For my comfort I would have liked a softer mattrass.

Breakfast: they just ask you what you like for breakfast and in my case they only suggested eggs and ham, which was served with chunks of bread. On the last day of my stay I saw somebody having toast with a sort of marmelade (?). So the best thing is to ask what else you can get, otherwise it will be eggs every day.
The staff were all quite friendly and everybody speaks English. In the lobby there is a pc with internet connection.

On the internet I found only this hotel in Targoviste but during my stay I found that nearby there were 2 other hotels: Valahia & Dracula Hotel. Out of curiosity I had a look at their rooms. I would not recommend the Valahia; staff did not speak english and I did not like the look of their rooms too much. Next to it is the Dracula where I will stay next time. This hotel is the most modern of all three hotels. The rooms were a little smaller than the Dambovita, but it looked very OK to me.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My sister and I spent one night in Targoviste on our way back to Bucharest. In some ways, our stay was delightful and fun and in others it was quite strange. The front desk staff was not very friendly but they probably don't get many Americans and just didn't know what to make of us. The room was small and oddly shaped but clean--would have been acceptable by NYC standards. The lobby and hallways are dark and almost mysterious. There is a supermarket, the Penny Market XXL, nearby and it was really fun to shop in. We ate at another of the major hotels (we think there are three total) in town--the food was good but we're not sure it would have provided a superior hotel experience. Breakfast was included at the Dambovita but apparently our only choice was omelets, which was different from our other Romanian hotel experiences. Although we don't have anything to compare it to, we would recommend the Dambovita to someone who needed to stay in Targoviste.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank alliswell252
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I work all over Romania so my company booked the hotel... basically its a place to sleep.. period.. no room service no internet and the restaurant is not part of the hotel and is closed at weekends apart from breakfast

centrally located although to be honest the town is so small everything is close anyway

nice friendly clean comfortable place but very basic

Stayed: October 2008