“Staff Make the difference - and next to bus station”
Review of Irene's Hostel

and 1 more site!
Irene's Hostel
Alexandria, Egypt
“Staff Make the difference - and next to bus station”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Sure there are more well-equipped hostels in the world, but for a small town like Suceava, Irene's place fits the bill. The best part of the place are the staff. Alex is a super-friendly and helpful guy who made us feel very comfortable right off the bat. The owner is also the guide and I can assure you that he is a very knowledgeable guide that is one of the most sought-after guides in Suceava (he has hosted a lot of celebrities).

The location is great and they also have new rooms in an apt building next door which are very clean and well-equipped. The kitchen has coffee/tea and a TV and there is free wi-fi. They organize all the tours here so it is easy to arrive at night and jump on a monastery tour the next morning.
Come see why the staff here make it worthwhile.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank amadeorock

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Overall, a very clean place to stay. We arrived at 7am and were taken right to our room for the evening - which I wasn't expecting. Alex was very helpful.

We went on the monestary tour with them - it was a good tour - but do know that you have to pay an entrance fee of 5 lei for each one.

A good stay, but not a ton to do - and honestly, I didn't think the monestaries justified all the work to get the Suceava!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank brandasa
Lviv, Ukraine
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hostel is great: good situated, always clean, the guys are very helpful, and looks like they know their city ( however they is not that many places to see).
You have a hommie feeling there, that is the best thing!

Room Tip: They have rooms in next building. Pretty usefull when you are travelling with your bf/gf ;)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Aleksandra O
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here 1 night on 18.05.12, this hostel is actually a house converted into a hostel so it has a very homey feeling.
Located pretty much in the town centre, it takes 1 minute to walk to the bus station, very handy if you continue your journey elsewhere by bus or maxitaxi (as I did the morning after to Chișinău).
The guys at the reception were kind enough to make my stay pleasurable enough and were up for a chat.
There is 1 computer if you need the Internet and don't have your own laptop.
You get free tea & coffee in the kitchen but there's no such thing as a kettle/water boiler so to make tea you actually need to boil some water in a little pan on the hob, personally I didn't mind doing that in the least.
Overall cleanliness was ok/average.
There are 2 bathrooms/showers, 1 at the end of the corridor, the other accessible via the kitchen (the latter a bit uncomfortable if you go for a shower and there are people in the kitchen).
The bed was comfy, the dorm had 2 single beds and 1 bunk bed.
Things I didn't like and that could/should be improved easily:
- the curtain in the dorm wasn't long enough to cover the whole window
- the town map they give you could be a bit better than a not-very-clear black & white copy
- there are no hooks on the walls or on the door in the bathrooms where you could hang your towels/clothes while you shower

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JamR0LL
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our overall feeling was that Irene's hostel is not being run seriously. The furniture is a mis- matched collection of cheap stuff, the curtains in the room we had were way smaller than the windows, the town map they provide is an uninformative black and white photocopy, the bin in the kitchen was full but remained un-emptied the whole time we there. Alex, the only member of staff we saw, was very friendly and welcoming but not professional, for example he told us there was no coffee as he'd finished it but didn't go out to get any more! but he did go out at around 7pm both nights we were there and didn't show up again until the following morning at around 8h30 am. There was no heating turned on so it was very cold.
Not a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank hkwoody
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2011

To be fair, I don't remember when I stayed there, it was autumn 2010 anyway.
The hostel location might be very convenient for those coming to Suceava by bus.

The reason I tried this hostel is quite strange...I wanted a change in the way I travel..I decided not to go for "Nothing but the best" anymore so I happened to arrive at Irene's hostel during an evening..

The receptionist (who didn't look like that at all) was quite sleepy and quite confused when I entered..he still tried to be nice and he invited me to the room, prepared a tea and told me few things about restaurants in Suceava.

There was just one guest in the hostel that moment, a very strange man who wasn't really interested in having a conversation..
The kitchen, the bathroom and the hall were clean but the room I slept in was quite bad-looking because the man I stayed with put his belongings all over the place.

I slept quite well there because I was very tired but I think it's obvious I would neither stay there again nor recommand it to anybody else..

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms upstairs are not that noisy since you don't have anyone ..
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank British_lover
Ramsey, Ohio
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This was my first time in Romania and I was there for an art residency in Borsec the previous two weeks. The second half of my stay was in Suceava, and my friend located Irene's for me. I stayed at the hostel (with the exception of a couple weekend trips) for two more weeks! The whole place was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The whole time I stayed at Irene's I did not feel like I was traveling in another country, but as if I was staying somewhere much more like home. I absolutely recommend Irene's to everyone who is traveling there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo