“Would stay again”

Americas Best Value Inn Calera
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Calera
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Room was nice, bed comfortable, big flat screen tv. Only thing was the mirror looked like it hasn't been cleaned in weeks. The floor needed vacuumed and the little kitchen area around the fridge needed little cleaning! I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed one night, they gave us the wrong type of room at first but moved us no problem. Rooms were plenty clean and spacious. Only problem I could see is the bathrooms were a little small. Other than that great place, I don't know where the hell some of these other commenters were staying but it obviously was not here D:

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KLaRowe
Reviewed July 26, 2012

we stayed one night in this hotel. it was clean, bed was comfortable and the internet was high speed. it was quiet and easy access. the only bad about this room was the fridge full of ice and it needs defrosting...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JAMES M
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stopped at this hotel because it had a Trip Advisor.com Approval sticker on the door. We stayed in room 103 and the smell was horrible, dead bugs in entry area, tub obviously had not been cleaned since the last visitor, and paper was falling off the walls. Horrible experience. If we hadn't been on the road for hours and were absolutely exhausted we would have left. "Continental breakfast" was bread, a toaster, juice and coffee. Travelers beware!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband is ex cop and he did not even feel safe staying here . My husband and i called to the hotel owner and asked them to call the police and they did not, after 45 min my husband called the police and they quiet down the young guys. But soon after the police left the guys started up again and stood in front of our door making threats of holding a gun to my husbands head. I feel it is the hotels duty to protect the guest and they failed to protect my husband and i. My husband asked for a refund we payed for two nights, and here on the first night we no longer wanted to stay. The hotel owner will not refund our money. This is a dangerous place to stay and not clean, we found condom raper on floor by the bed and had to throw it away and left over food in the fridge. The room stinks and shower drain is backed up.

I will hire Attorney for law suit against the Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2011

The best thing I can say is that is was close to the interstate and the staff was nice. The bathroom had mold on the walls and everything look dirty. The walls were very thin so we could hear all the traffic traveling around the building. Breakfast was included but I was packaged donuts or toast. Maybe add some fruit to the mix, please. The coffee was horrible. It tasted like water with a little coffee flavor added. I would not tell anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chaircoverchick
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I had stayed at this hotel on a previous trip to FL in March of 2010 and found some issues that should have been easy to fix but on a second visit to this hotel on March, 17th of 2011 I saw things were no better in some regards and in other areas they were even worse. First of all, I have one of the ABVI member cards that is supposed to qualify me for a 15% discount on the room rate. Last year when I made the reservation over the phone I was given a rate of X amount of dollars. When I informed the lady on the phone I had a membership card I was given a different price (lower) for the room that was satisfactory to me. But yet when I got to the hotel late that night with my family I was charged the higher price. When I told the check in clerk I was quoted a lower price I was told that the person I had spoken to had made a mistake and the price I was now being quoted already included the discount. The next morning the breakfast that they were so proud of turned out to be nothing more than stale bread, donuts, cereal. etc etc.

So ok, anyone can have a bad day so on my latest trip to FL this past week I thought I would give this hotel a second chance. I must say the results were no better this time around. I called while enroute down I-65 to inquire about the room rates and was quoted a price of $63. dollars with the tax already included and some odd cents. I did not mention that I had a membership card this time as I was going to wait until I got to the hotel and see the person face to face to see what showing my card would do to the rate.
Once I arrived at the hotel and I was quoted the same price I had been told of over the phone I then showed the clerk my membership card but was told that my room rate was already discounted but if I preferred to use that card I would actually end up paying more because the room rate was normally $79. plus tax. I have since returned home and just went online and checked that hotels website, and surprise surprise.....that same room I stayed in is going for $55.95 plus tax right now. The VERY SAME rate I was quoted on the phone last week when I called about the rates.

The only thing I can get from all of this is this hotel management refuses to honor the ABVI membership discount cards and will make up any excuse to the customer they can to justify their actions.

As for the room I stayed in that night? There was a dirty towel laying on the luggage rack in the closet, the bed was uncomfortable, and the breakfast was the same as my previous stay. Stale donuts, cereal, bread. There was no milk put out for those wanting cereal or glasses/cups set aside for anyone who wanted juice. I was told that breakfast ran from 5-9 AM but yet when I went into the breakfast room around 8:00 AM the lights were off and it appeared that I was the first one to have gone in there that morning. No coffee, juice or milk was set out at all for the customers use.

Oh well, this will be the last time I will use this particular hotel and I strongly advise all other travelers to avoid it too.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Tim N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calera
Hampton Inn
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 7 in Clanton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alabaster

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Calera? Share your experiences!