“Misty Lodge, Sagada”

Misty Lodge and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Sagada
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I visited Sagada October 1, 2013 and stayed at Misty for 4 nights. I loved Sagada and almost everything about it... And staying at Misty played a big part in that too. The lodge is very clean and is so nice and peaceful. It's around 20 to 30 minutes from town (leisure walk) which was exactly what I was looking for. Everyone at Misty was great... Very warm & helpfull! The food I had there was great too. I stayed in an attic room. The size was good, I just wish it had some cabinets for organizing your things and maybe a table lamp you can use at night. The bathrooms are common but it was spotless the whole time I was there. The water pressure in the shower was weak but I hear that's a common thing in Sagada due to being so high up in the mountains? Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Orbitech

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The owners who are sisters, Siegrid and Bugan, are two of the most hospitable hosts I've come across in all my years of travel. The lodge itself is comfortable and clean. The internet works fine, and the food is good especially the pancakes. Misty Lodge is a nice walk away from the town center and therefore makes it an even more tranquil place amidst all the pine trees. That being said, there were guests who were not conscious of other guests as was the case with a group from Manila talking loudly in their rooms, walking heavily and slamming doors during one early morning. Situations like this could be remedied upon check-in by informing all guests that everyone is occupying a shared-space and that one must speak quietly, walk lightly, and to close doors gently. If need be at some point later, to firmly tell loud guests to quiet down or move elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WayDesQ
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I didn't have the fortune of going to Misty again this year as late reservations have driven me and my friends to the town proper. But if there is any sign Misty's cooking is that good, my friends are willing to go to all the hike just to get food.

Walking the distance on a flat city is one thing, walking on a series of ups and downs is a different thing entirely. Misty's food really made an impression on my friends.

Room Tip: 2nd floor. Turn right to the corner, THAT is the best room. Great view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank igmegalingan
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It may not be in the town center, but the place is definitely worth the short hike. I did not mind walking alone too, for the view on the way to the hostel was breathtaking!
I was greeted warmly by Ms. Rhina, Ms. Sigrid's hubby and later on met Ms. Sigrid herself. They were the best host. :)
I loved the attic lounge, the bathroom (complete toiletries), my room, the (affordable) food, and especially their cafe.
Their chef was not around that time but they were still able to prepare really really delicious food.

I promise to be back in Sagada, and will definitely stay at Misty! :)

April

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was my home for 3 nights. Owned and operated by a very hard-working and charming family. I did not get to eat most of my meals here so I cannot comment on the meals, however, the cream cheese burger with fries were good. Their yoghurt was also yummy. The guest reviews about the home-cooked meals are very positive, though. Mico, a family member, has put his culinary skills to good use. All members of the family live in the house and I guess this is why the lodge has a homey feel because it IS a home to a family. This is important to remember to manage your expectations. This lodge is not for picky travelers who expect 5-star amenities. First of all, one must remember that Sagada is not a resort. It is a community that has learned to be tolerant of tourists.

Sigrid, my lovely hostess, informed me that it took them 6 years to finish their home. In Dec 2011, hardly a year old from the day it was completed, a family knocked on their door to ask if they could be accommodated because all hotels and inns in town were fully booked. They opened their home to these strangers and this is how the lodge's story began.

Tips:
The balcony is great for just hanging out in the late afternoon, with a cup of coffee (or a mug of beer) and a good book.

Toilet & bath (I know there are 2) are common so you either wake up very early or very late if you do not want to stand in queue.

The lodge is a short distance to the small falls (Bokong Falls) and Kiltepan Viewpoint (great view of the sunrise).

The lodge is a good 15 min walk to town. If you are not used to taking long walks, you might regret the location. I did but only on my first day. By the 2nd day, I started to enjoy the walks to town and back. By the end of my vacation, I regretted leaving because I would miss my walks to town. You can also hitch a ride with the passenger jeepneys that drive to town from Bontoc. You can offer to pay the fare but it is likely that the driver would refuse your payment (simply because they are not used to people hitching rides for very short distances.) If you want to buy souvenirs, ask your hosts about suppliers of good quality yet reasonably priced items.

If you are happy with your stay, accept the invitation to write about your experience in their guestbook. Leave your number. My hostess texted me to find out if I have arrived safely in Manila!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank MMLManila
Reviewed June 2, 2013

First time I saw their website I fell in love with the place. And when we got there it swept us off our feet place is so cozy and homey plus the hosts were fantastic it's like you're visiting a relative. Plus food was awesomely delicious (egg benedict is a must-have). Can't wait for my next visit!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank gacepcion
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This lodge is inviting and warm. The family that runs this establishment is just awesome.

They prepare great food. Very reasonable but still memorable. Eat beside the fireplace while the host share some stories/tips about Sagada.

This is off the main center of Sagada. But as said by the other reviewers, that what made it even special.

It was holiday when we went here. No choice but to get a small room. Rate is cheap. No heater in the room but the temperature is actually nice.

Two comments though: First is the shared bathroom. You need to line up for it. The water heater is not that reliable. The last one is the pig pen going to the lodge.

The library in the attic is also a plus point for this lodge.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple