“Nice experience but will not go back” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Masferre Country Inn and Restaurant

Masferre Country Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 22 Sagada B&B and Inns
San Fernando, Philippines
“Nice experience but will not go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I dont have any complain with service, food, and cleanliness of the place. However, for the same service and satisfaction, you can opt for other inns in the vicinity due to price, which is not competitive.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank lonewolfshifter

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Firstly the good points for this hotel:

We paid around 900 Pesos for a room which had comfy beds, spacious bathroom with hot showers. While the rooms were not perfect and there was some building work going on with the balconies outside, I did think they were excellent for the price.

The restaurant was large and had character. However, in the restaurant, it was hit and miss. One meal I had was quiet nice, the other was pretty horrible. The service was generally slightly slow, although not something to get too worked up about.

I would perhaps have given this hotel 3 or 4 stars but for 1 reason. We arrived at 8pm and went out for a quick drink and a meal. They have a 9pm curfew which was not properly explained to us at the beginning. We got back around 9:30 or 10. While I have stayed in hotels with curfews before, there is usually hope of getting in by ringing a bell etc.

However here, we were banging on the metal shutters for about 30 minutes to no reply. Luckily some locals took us back to their squat and built a fire so we didn't die of exposure!!!!

This was ok for us, but for elderly people spending a night outside in Sagada's, chilly and damp nights in the mountains this could be quite dangerous.

The following day we were asked with a smiling face by a staff member "where did you sleep last night?". This made us wonder if they had heard us knocking. There was no apology and we were left feeling annoyed by this.

At the end we were not offered a discount on the bill for the night sleeping rough, but did not pay the full bill anyway.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmazingSimon

Travelers are raving about these Sagada hotels

Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

The place is right smack at the center. After moving from two other locations, we finally settled in Masferre. The price is higher than most. We got our room for two at 1500 pesos a day with free breakfast. It has everything that we can ask for. Ensuite bath and a water heater for the cold weather. Extra pillows and blankets were immediately given. The only downside was there was no hair drying to dry wet hair which can also be very irritating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank anthro_pologo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

The Masfarre Inn in Sagada has now been renovated and is located in the centre of town.The rooms are small but quite comfortable.It has new bathrooms with hot water and a small verandah.1400 pesos sngl 2000 dbl.WIFI .
Very good food in the restaurant, most things about 200 pesos not all of the staff speak english,but try very hard to help.Great photos on the walls.They also sell condiments honey jam coffee etc,all made locally on the farm.Take a guide even if you just go walking in echo valley.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank rick1811027
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

We rented 2 rooms at Masferre. If you arrive with your own car, they provide a parking space in a separated compound just opposite the hotel. You enter the hotel area through the restaurant. This itself looks very simple and not very impressive but the rooms are very clean and tidy. We got towels, soap, tooth brush and tooth paste in the bathroom and the room was spacy enough to stay in there. The hot water running well and was always available. The view from the balcony was nice and chairs are waiting there for you for spend some time there after a hiking day.
The staff there is friendly and averagely skilled. The food is standard but good- coffee is rather not that good- better opt a juice there.
Masferre´s location allows you to discover Sagada town easy and reach all highlihts in a short time. The staff is helpful with any questions you got.

Room Tip: The attic room got a wooden flooring. We had the rooms below and found that out after a group of Kor...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JollyBee2012
Quezon City/ PPC, Palawan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

December 24, 2011, we had an early Christmas Eve dinner at Masferre. We had 2 tables reserved for 21 individuals. We even payed in advance.

This was the scenario:

- On my way to the buffet table, my sister asked me to request some tissue paper/ paper table napkins. I told the waitress wearing a pink shirt. (excuse me, may i request for some tissue/table napkin?) Everything seemed okay because by the looks of it she and the other waitress behind the counter (wearing black) exchanged words regarding my request. But I waited for more than 15 minutes but the table napkin did not arrive.

- I went back to the buffet table to get some tea, the waitress in pink was standing nearby and so I followed up the request ("miss, uhm, where's the tissue...?) , she again nodded and went to the counter to talk with the woman in black w/c I saw go inside the kitchen. I went back to our table and waited but still no tissue. And now I see the waitress in pink behind the buffet table.

- When my sister went to get some more tea, she came back with a handful of table napkins. So I asked her where she got it and she told me that she only asked for it. "once" I got irritated and wondered, "are they ignoring my requests on purpose?"

- Just to confirm, I waited and started thinking on how to do another request, just in time, my aunt who was beside me wanted some water and so I presented myself to ask for it. This time I got the attention of a small woman that looked very boyish. "May I request for 3 glasses of water?" She nodded....but again, I waited for 10 minutes and no water came. I looked at the counter and majority of the staff/crew were just there talking to each other. How hard is it to get 3 small glasses of water?

- This time I told my mother (who was the one who made the reservation with the owner/manager) I explained what happened. I asked my dad to call the owner to express my concern. When she came and heard us, she apologized and explained that "maybe" her staff who were according to her are contractual, were tired or frantic/panicked by all of the nights work.

HUH?! "again" how hard is it to get tissue paper/table napkin and 3 glasses of water?

I personally did not feel any sincerity from her (the owner/manager).

I think there was a 3rd incident where - at the buffet table - I was about to get some pasta and right there and then, a different waitress quickly took the pasta from the table. That time I thought that there must be something wrong with the spaghetti for them to take it away. But now that I've thought about it, I could say that it's a part of it...maybe a sinister plan against me? Why?

Because a day before (Dec 23), we were also supposed to dine there. But my mom already had a reservation at Haddeku and our guide who was supposed to cancel (as agreed earlier) forgot to do it. And so, there was no choice but to proceed with Haddeku because the buffet was already prepared specially/only for our group.

But during that time, most of our family was already inside Masferre (no orders yet) and by the time the rest of us got there, I was the one who told everyone (who was inside--sitting-- Masferre) about the predicament and that we have to leave and proceed with our previous reservation with Haddeku.

So, paranoid as I may seem, that is the only logical evidence/reason I can think of. They "maybe", thought that I cost them their earnings for that night. Because before we left, a staff called my mom's attention and told us that because of us/ our group, they rejected an earlier reservation by foreigners, and that they we have to tell/ explain to the owner.

That night night, when we left Masferre, that boyish looking woman was at the door and even had the guts to stare at me eye to eye...Non of the staff came and apologized.

Though the food was okay, the service was horrible.

Thank you for ruining my Christmas Eve.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PlayPoi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sagada
Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel
Misty Lodge and Cafe
Misty Lodge and Cafe
#1 of 22 in Sagada
Batad View Inn and Restaurant

Been to Masferre Country Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!