“A Jewel in Sagada”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: ph: 0920 520 0463
Reviewed January 29, 2013

"Saturday night buffet featuring the cooking of French-native (and now adopted son of Sagada) Chef Aklay". Very good food, value for money!!!! Atmosphere nice and cozy with fireplace..

You MUST book as soon as you get to Sagada. This place was one of the highlights of our Sagada visit. Buffet is only served on Saturday nights and it gets FULL.

Price is about U$12 per head, drinks are additional. They do have a fairly decent wine list.

Staff very friendly and Chek Aklay is available during the entire meal.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I wasn’t exactly pleased with how we were initially received at the restaurant. Knowing Log Cabin’s reputation, I had booked a table for ten persons three weeks beforehand through text. I received a reply, and we were advised to confirm our reservation in person on the day of our arrival in Sagada. However, when we got there (it was around 2 pm, which was 5 hours before dinner), we were greeted by a not-so-accommodating front of the house. He checked his reservation logbook and insisted that we weren’t on the list. He was not even in an appeasing mood; it was as if he was really anxious to turn us away. If I hadn’t known about Log Cabin’s reputation, I would’ve walked out then and there. But I couldn’t accept the fact that we had travelled 12 hours just to be turned away. Fortunately, I had saved the message on my phone, and we were eventually accommodated for dinner.

The good thing was, the dinner was worth the hassle. The ambiance of the restaurant really lives up to its name. It really is a log cabin, and the interiors are warm and cozy. The rooms are dimly lit by table lamps and sconces, and are adorned by paintings hanging on the walls. Near where we were sitting was a huge wooden china cabinet filled with cutlery and other utensils. Despite our “rush” reservation, we were able to get a long table for ten people, which was decorated with flowers and little bowls of butter. It was near the buffet area, too.

To start the meal, we had mulligatawny soup, served with two kinds of freshly baked bread: whole-grain and black sesame seed focaccia (which were both nice and chewy). Then came the most memorable part of the dinner: the savory sorbet shooter. The sorbet itself is sweet – it’s made of fresh cantaloupe. Strips of beef ham are placed on top of the sorbet. Eaten together, the salty, chewy ham complements the cold, sweet, fruity sorbet perfectly. It’s like a revamped version of prosciutto and melon.

There’s plenty in the main courses and side dishes to please both meat lovers and vegetarians alike. There was a salad of fresh Sagada greens tossed in a light vinaigrette, a side dish of sautéed Lombok and mustard greens, and a warm potato salad with eggs and cucumber. You can really taste the freshness of the greens, although the sautéed dish was a little bland. It's great paired with the meats because it cuts their richness.

One of the main courses was roast pork loin with goat cheese (from Davao) and fresh parsley. The bones from the pork loin were also baked with chili powder as were served as a separate dish. I liked the pork loin and cheese combination, although because of its leanness, it tended to dry out quickly. The bones were well-seasoned, and I enjoyed them more than the actual pork loin. There was also a smoked chicken with eggplant, lemon juice and sweet potato dish. The smokiness of the chicken is quite subtle but adds a nice flavor the meat. There was also this bowl of pork skin (almost like very thin strips of chicharon), which is great eaten like a snack. It’s wonderfully crispy and not at all greasy.

Finally, dessert was served. First, there was a baked cheesecake with an interesting texture – it was a bit grainy and nutty (I’m not sure what ingredients were responsible for this). This was served with a berry compote (blueberries and strawberries), which was tart and not at all sweet. It’s great eaten together with the cheesecake. As a chocolate lover, the highlight of dessert was the intense chocolate cake. According to the label, the chocolate was Indonesian origin and the cake was rich, decadent and bittersweet. It would taste great with a strong cup of coffee.

I can’t believe that we only paid P390/person for this feast. The Log Cabin experience is truly a memorable one, and I can’t wait to do it all over again.

2  Thank Dianne S
Reviewed January 8, 2013

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose," this is what The Log Cabin felt like. It was a warm and cozy log cabin with a fire-place of course, just what we needed to feel a sense of home at Christmas time. The food was a family style buffet that consisted of pork loin, roasted chicken with string beans, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, pasta salad, broccoli, a tomato and zucchini dish, dessert, and coffee. ALL DELICIOUS!

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Was in north Luzon recently and had a thanksgiving dinner in the log cabin. Went there early in the day to tell them that we wanted a full roast chicken. Sounds basic but the flavours we got were the best we ever had.
Went back since and tried other things. Soups salads all first class. Nicest bread in the country. Everything is made from scratch

Reviewed December 17, 2012

So this review is a bit unfair because we didn't eat here, but when I walked in (in the kitchen because there was nobody in the restaurant) to ask if they had been fully booked yet, I saw and smelled the food and was sooo sad that they were fully booked!!!
Their Saturday buffets are really popular. So walk in early on the day to make the reservation!!!