“Must See in Peru”

Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Nazca
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Would have definitely preferred the smooth ride of a helicopter (couldn't find any helicopter tours of Nazca lines) - fortunately we arrived on a day with non-bumpy air. Still recommend a little Dramamine for those fixed-wing small planes. Actually, organic Ginger would be better and less drowsy. Having said that - the Nazca Lines are simply astonishing. It's a once in a lifetime experience and an absolute must see. I'm still stunned that the individual drawings are so incredibly clear hundreds and hundreds of years after they were created. We wound up taking a first-class 4-hour bus ride from Lima to Paracas....then overnight for the flight.....then bus 5 hours back to Lima....but it was worth it. Seems like someone would come up with a flight out of Arequipa or Lima so people don't have to spend so much time to reach the Nazca Lines. Or, extend the experience more with some sort of longer tour, historical interpretation, etc. Looking at the lines leaves one wanting to know more....who, what, where, and especially HOW.

4  Thank travelj60
Write a ReviewReviews (2,619)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"machu picchu"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Once, I arrived to lima I took a bus to Nasca I spend 40 soles to arrive to Nasca so i book the flight for 70 dollars for 30 minutes flights I stayed for 60 soles sin a hostal following morning a took a bus to cusco with 100 soles.

8  Thank rachel s
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Every since I learned about the Nazca Lines I have wanted to see them. All the shows I watched commented on how neat and special they were. Big designs and long lines in the desert.
Finally in late February 2012, I had my chance to see these.
We bargained with one or two companies for the lowest price we could get. We had 5 passengers and we flew over the Nasca & Palpa Lines and the aqueducts (1 hour flight) for $185 per person. I thought this was a pretty decent price.
I was surprised to see that the lines were NOT AS LARGE as I had imagined them to be. But this still in no way diminishes how cool they are. I just had always thought they'd be larger. They were also harder to see than I thought they would be also. Bring a camera with you that has a "continuous" shot feature - that way you can definitely capture more of the lines/better chance at having great pictures. We took a video of the experience also. It's fun to look back on that.
Don't remember the name of the flight company, but all are good. Pilots were nice, helpful. TIP: you might want to take a dramamine or motion sickness med before flying. I think that helped me. Airport was a neat place. Gift shopping was steps away from the airport parking area. The airport also had refreshments to buy after you finished flying. That was nice.
It is a DEFINITE must see if you are in Southern Peru.
IF you don't want to pay to fly over them, there is a nearby "observation tower" that you can climb up and see at least one of the lines/designs. Ask someone in Nasca how to get to the observation tower.

8  Thank Sally S
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Great experience - it's amazing to see what you've read about for so many years. Make sure you have a light breakfast though and possibly take some kind of nausea-medication before flying.
If you are obliged to seat in the back seat (you are placed according to weight), it can get uncomfortably hot.

3  Thank Alex J
See more reviews
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We chose to do the overflight because that is on the list of must do's when in Peru. Out of 4 passengers on our flight, myself, my daughter, and 1 other became ill. Talking to other travelers while travelling, many experienced the same problem. It is hard to enjoy the experience when fighting the urge to throw up, and it was difficult for me to fully appreciate when viewing from the air. I felt detached as if viewing a documentary. We viewed the geoglyphs at Buena Fe during an afternoon tour and I was able to get a much more impressive perspective of the scale of this site when viewed from ground level.