All reviews local community horseback riding the main house eco lodge composting toilets condor suite cordillera blanca roaring fire big table family style home grown the owner friendly dogs easter weekend great place to enjoy adobe house outdoor beauty
Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a lovely place to stay! Spent a night acclimatizing before mountaineering in the Andes in July/2012, then for a few days recovering from my adventures! I cannot think of a single thing about my experience that was less than stellar. The staff are lovely, helpful, very involved with supporting the local community. And oh the food! Every night we had a delicious sit-down dinner in the great room with Diana and Wayne and all the guests, everyone sharing their stories. Evenings were spent relaxing with a book, socializing by the fire, or melting away in the sauna. My highest recommendation - I'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This has to be one of our favorite places to stay... And this comes from a couple who is quote widely traveled ( Alberta Canada, LOT of the US, Spain, France, Italy (thrice), Austria, Germany, India, Peru, Czech Rep, Swizerland)... We are very discerning and critique well... This place was just outstanding... Set away from Huaraz, in its own little land of heaven... Beautiful views... Very nice lodging... LOVED the owner Diana who was extxremely helpful, very good correspondent on email, a very gracious host, a great conversationalist and she runs this big farm VERY well... The main home has very nice ambience with the common room where you can exchange conversation with fellow travelers... That is where the food is prepared fresh every meal, in front of you... That experience was amazing to see the local cooks come in, go get some fresh greens and fruits from the farm and then make it right there in front of you... Straight from farm to the table in a few hours... The fresh farm fruit for breakfast with the yogurt was to die for... The dinners were very good and varied every night... They accomodated my husband's veg needs very well... They even helped when my son'd tummy was not well with some chamomile tea... Dessert was fresh and yumm as well... Diana also arranged a very nice personal horse grooming and riding class for my son, which he absolutely loved and we will always cherish... Diana's suggestions for hikes to do, driver to hire with car and ideas for the trip, were all outstanding... The driver and car she arranged for us was perfect as well... Again, cannot say enough good things... All the BIG things you look for in a lodging are very well taken care of... But the best part is that even the small things are very well taken care of... Best example - They always have the best dry firewood in the firebox outside the cottage along with plenty of dry twigs, newspaper and even many eucalyptus dry leaves which burn with a fabulous aroma... But here is what takes the cake! We were in the main house lounging after dinner... it was drizzling outside and it was cold... We would have had to walk 2 mins outside to get to our cottage... Diana told us to take the umbrellas and to let her know 5 mins before we were ready to go back to our cottage... She sent over someone 5 mins before and he lit up a raging big fire in the fireplace so that when we got to the cottage, it was already burning and warming up!! That is amazing hostess!! We will never forget that gesture!! Looking forward to visiting again in a few years!!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cottages... Amazing!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sakshi_singhal
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our 5 days in the lazy dog. The location is fabulous with lovely views. We enjoyed the meals although felt for what we were paying that lunch could have been included. There are numerous day hikes available although it's important to note that many require taxi transportation to and from the start points which is an expense we hadn't budgeted for. The taxi drivers used are very friendly and safe drivers. It is more expensive to do these trips from here than from huaraz itself, as they have to also do a round-trip to the inn which is 8km outside huaraz on poor roads. Laguna 69 is stunning and well worth the trip. The descriptions of the hikes were sometimes vague and we got lost on returning from Laguna churup (but when we got back Wayne had the sauna fired up!)
The Internet is unreliable - not a criticism as it is amazing that there is any Internet at all given the location - just something to be aware of.
We stayed in a cabin with open fire and skylight view of the stars for 3 nights and upstairs room with balcony for 2. Both lovely.
Cosy living room with fire and extensive DVD collection.
Nick, who is volunteering there at the moment, was very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was looking forwrd to my stay at Lazy Dog Inn, following a week plus of touring around Cuzco. I was sooooo disappointed. The lodge itself is beautiful, the property is lovely, as are the rooms. But the owner, diana, was very rude to her staff, husband, and at times to guests. First the food: the local quechuan women are the cooks - under Diana's active supervision. None of which are trained chefs. It was all edible - but nothing up to par of what we ate in other areas or hotels at all. the activities: horseback riding was lovely - absolutely no complaints there (though I received a significant injury on the ride which could have been avoided had the guide been more cautious). Other than that - the activities involve self guided day long hikes up to the mountains - or combination day hikes/taxis. If you ask Diana about them, she will refer you to a binder with information on the taxi rates and a general description of the hikes. She seems to not want to be bothered past that. The self guided hikes are very long and arduous, and at very high altitudes. The cost for the taxis if you require one are very expensive, set by Diana, and way out of line with the local taxi rates. Diana is around at breakfast, has dinner with the guests. If you want to make spur of the moment plans - forget it. There is nobody around to call a taxi, ask questions of, etc. dinner is at 7:30 and a lovely fire is lit in the fireplace. But by the time dinner is over, most go to bed. There is just nothing else to do. There is ostensibly internet, but it runs at such a slow speed and is intermittent that it was not useable. I thought I was going to this great activity filled family lodge - but that was not the case. I was completely bored during my stay here. Felt most unwelcome. I would have much preferred to stay in Huaraz proper where I could hire a guide for half the cost, enjoy the wonderfully friendly and gracious Peruvians, and eat much better food. I was there in August - the weather in Huaraz was wonderful, but up at the Lazy Dog Inn it was freezing. Nasty winds kick up about 2:00 in the afternoon....Rooms aren't heated except for a propane space heater that you are told to turn off at night. It was most unpleasant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank tapinsharon
LazyDogInn, Owner at The Lazy Dog Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thanks for your review of your stay at the Inn. Of course we all love to receive positive comments but we also need to hear the ones that are constructive about what did not work for you as a guest. We do strive to provide a great place with good food, local staff, location, service and community involvement. The people who work for us as well as the extension in the local community directly benefit from us being there. Let me reply first to some of your observations:

Transportation and Guides

We do not set the taxi prices nor do we have any economic benefit from any of the drivers and their service. Their prices are only higher than what you book in Huaraz as they include the 2 trips up and back from the Inn. The prices in the guest book are set by the drivers and are the same as if booked in Huaraz.

To also comment, the drivers we use and that were used by yourself are honest, safe and trustworthy and go to great lengths on bad roads to provide a needed service.

The prices as well for any guided trip, other than using the driver himself are quoted with local Spanish/Quechua speaking people or based on Huaraz agency prices. The least expensive guided trip is through a tour in Huaraz, all of which are the same price as if booked through the Inn.

Communication :

That at 3650 meters we have interent is amazing and reliant on the poor infrastructure the phone company has in Huaraz. That, I am afraid, is out of our control. Until Huaraz has fiber optic cables we are subject to poor telephone service in the town itself, our line of site links works well when the town works well.

Heat and Weather :

It was cold and windy , not normal for September, when you were there. The adobe structure provides a good medium for dealing with temperature control , as a type of insulation, but never as a fully heated house would. The use of propane heaters in the guestrooms that do not have a fireplace are to help take that chill out of the air. We do advise not using them all night because of :

Although the tanks and heaters themselves are assumed safe, there can be a slight propane smell from the tank when left on all day or night and the odd time when a tank has not shut off properly.

We hope the bed, down quilts provide the warmth needed in a High Mountain Lodge.

Kitchen and Staff:

Our cooks are Quechua speaking women from the surrounding area who have not held jobs before. Many of them do not read nor write and are single parents. I do work with them to train them to cook in a style, to be hygenic and service orientated. Generally we have had very good comments from our guests about them and the food, however, I am not sure what we ate when you were there. I can review that and see what happened or should have happened

Atmosphere :

The rythem of the Inn many times is dictated by the people there, do they stay up at night ? go as a group together in the day time, spend time alone. We as well get busy with the Inn, farm and community projects. If I was not available to you when you felt I should have been or you needed something then that area is one of which I should pay more attention too.

Finally:

You comment that I was rude to people around me. Despite external factors that you were not aware of, that were intense at the time, it should never take over not being kind and polite. That is a huge factor in general human relationships whether business or personal, and I will apoligize for that and take note to be much more aware in that aspect.

As a business we have to take care of our guests, our staff and those around us. We have worked hard at that and will continue to do so and make improvements along the way. I have taken note of your comments to use them in a helpful way for us here at the Inn, for me as an owner and hope that the rest of your trip went well after you left our place.

Regards
Diana

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a lovely stay here with our 2 kids (4&1.5). The food was excellent, accommodation was lovely (especially the log fire) and we had great fun hiking and horse riding. I can highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family