All reviewslocal communityhorseback ridingthe main houseeco lodgecomposting toiletscondor suitecordillera blancaroaring firebig tablefamily stylehome grownthe ownerfriendly dogseaster weekendgreat place to enjoyadobe houseoutdoor beauty
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a lovely stay here with our 2 kids (4&1.5). The food was excellent, accommodation was lovely (especially the log fire) and we had great fun hiking and horse riding. I can highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CurlingClaire
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I kicked off a backpacking trip in Peru at this inn, and ended up staying longer than I had intended. It's a lovely place with lovely people, and I would highly recommend it for several reasons. First, it is amazing to be even higher than Huaraz- the views are sublime and the stars at night are innumerable. Second, many great hikes are easily accessible and safe, including for solo female travelers. Third, the lodge itself is beautiful, and the fireplace is a special treat. Fourth, the food is yummy and the hostess very graciously accommodated my gluten and dairy intolerances. By the end of my time, it felt like home.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We loved this hotel, especially after three busy weeks in Peru. We stayed in the private Cojup (co-hup) Cabin, which had a bunk bed for our kids and a cozy king bed for us. The fireplace kept us warm, and the bathroom was large, clean, and well-lit. There were chairs out front in which we could sit and watch the day go by. Or, we could also sit in the loveseat in our cabin or relax in the main house, which was stocked with books, games, a TV, music, internet, and comfy chairs and couches. The food was excellent. Breakfast and dinner were included, and we could buy a lunch for 15-20 soles per person. Breakfast was our choice of pancakes, potatoes, granola, eggs, toast, coffee, tea, and fresh-squeezed juice. Dinner one night was chicken quesadillas, and another night was lasagna. Dinners also included salads, rolls, and desert. The inn has a water filer, so we could drink right from the tap in the main house.

The inn is a great place to be lazy. The four resident dogs were a favorite of our children. Very friendly and clean (not many dogs in Peru are!). We did a day hike from the inn to Llanca Lake, which was about 9 miles and up to 15,000 feet. This was a big day for our kids, but doable for the acclimatized. There are longer and higher hikes nearby, which several of the guests were doing. Taxis can be arranged that make these hikes shorter if need be. It was fun to walk around in the hills and see the people tending the sheep and cows from afar. The inn also offers horse back riding, a bouldering pad for climbing the many nearby boulders, and a sauna, among other things, if you don't want to be a lazy dog all day!

The owner (Diana) showed us around to the school and her horses. We saw bricks for houses being made, and children singing in school. She has set up a non-profit to help sustain the community around the inn. They seem to have done a lot. The inn itself is quite sustainable, with composting toilets, use of greywater, and they grow much of their own food.It was built well and from local sustainable materials. I recommend this inn-spend a little extra for a splurge!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank teachcolorado
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I could not believe I was able to stretch a bit of my backpackers budget to spend 4 days here.
The amenities in the Lazy Dog are astounding. The architecture is beautiful, the property- complete with garden and horse stable, incredible. The bedding, fireplace, porch, all perfect. Meals are as delicious and filling as they are healthy. All of the staff are responsible and lovely, and the proprietor goes out of her way to treat them with respect.
The owner is by far more informed and prepared to help with hiking and treking logistics than at either of the other two lodges I stayed at in the area. Reaching the lodge via collectivo/hike also proved easy and an enriching experience.
After one year in S. America, this stands out as a major highlight, and MUST DO.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Our family is just finishing a year of travel in South America. We stayed at the Lazy Dog for 4 nights toward the start of our trip and had such a fantastic time! We made some great memories here. We have stayed at lots of hostels along the way, but loved that we splurged on this lovely mountain inn.
It was far out of town, but so worth it to be in such a remote area and enjoy the the wonder of the Andes! Diana and Wayne were great hosts and were super friendly to us. We could hike right from the house, we rode horses with Diana and my daughters, ages 12 and 14, loved her because she has a spicy personality! My daughters had a chance to volunteer in the school near the inn and interact with the children. My husband spent several days building adobe bricks for the new school and we all really enjoyed the opportunity to interact with the locals.
Dinners were a highlight! We had great conversations, met interesting people, including young professionals from Lima who gave us great insight into Peru and gave us travel advice that changed the course of our year's travel!
Thanks for the great experiences!

• Stayed: July 2011