All reviewslocal communityhorseback ridingthe main houseeco lodgecomposting toiletscondor suitecordillera blancaroaring firebig tablefamily stylehome grownthe ownerfriendly dogseaster weekendgreat place to enjoyadobe houseoutdoor beauty
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My partner and I just returned from a wonderful 4 day stay with Diana, Wayne and their four lovely dogs. We arrived at the LDI late in the evening, after a full day of travel. We were given a very warm welcome by Diana, who had stoked the fire in our adobe-style cabin and prepared us a hearty meal of carrot soup, potato pie and apple cake for desert, all washed down with a local IPA. Delish!!!

My partner and I were exhausted after a ten day whirlwind trip however, Diana and Wayne provided the perfect setting for us to unwind and relax. Each morning Diana and her staff provided an ample breakfast of fruit, fresh juice, eggs any style, home fries and toast. The coffee is roasted locally and is rich and smooth. We liked it so much we took three bags home with us.

Our days were spent hiking in the some of the valleys of the Cordillera Blanca which are located on the doorstep of the LDI. These hikes provided spectacular vistas of several peaks over 6000 meters, in addition to alpine meadows, rivers, falls, lakes and the glacial formations for which the region is named. There are a wide array of hikes ranging from 5km - 20 km, with various levels of intensity. Diana and Wayne have an abundance of knowledge on trekking, biking, horse back riding, local history/culture, and they are able to help you with all aspects of planning your days at the LDI.

Our early evenings were spent relaxing in front of the fire in the main lodge. Lounging and drinking wine by the fire was followed by wonderful evening meals prepared by Diana and her staff. We enjoyed Thai food, vegetarian options and Peruvian fajita's, all of which were delicious!

Overall our experience was excellent, only made more enjoyable by Diana and Wayne who were the most welcoming and warm hosts.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nfbethwhelan
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Really enjoyed my time at the Lazy Dog Inn. The location is beautiful, the staff are friendly, the food is excellent, the rooms are wonderful, the views are spectacular. Really enjoyed taking day trips for hiking from the lodge. Also had the opportunity for mountain biking and horseback riding. Diana - the host - is amazing, friendly, and very helpful. Would recommend to anyone who would like a beautiful, high quality lodge for a nice get away from the city!

Room Tip: Some rooms have fireplaces, which are very nice! Book early!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Claudia K
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I've stayed in several other places in Huaraz, and if you're looking to enjoy the natural beauty of the place in a friendly and uber-relaxing environment, this is the place. Its location is prime for starting hikes, the food is plentiful, the staff is friendly, and the owners are fantastic people with a very very interesting story. Head to Lazy Dog to unplug and relax!

Diana took my parents and little sister and I for a horse ride and she was great - I highly recommend going for a ride!

Room Tip: The Rima Rima cabin was comfortable for 4!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Lazy Dog Inn for 2 months in February and March of 2012. We are a family of four ( 2 adults and 2 kids ages 4 and 6 ). We lived at the Lazy Dog Inn and volunteered at the small school associated with the Inn. I wanted to write a review as I believe we are in a unique position to share insight into this amazing place.

First of all, the owners Wayne and Diana care deeply about their community and their business. I've not ever seen people work harder to provide excellent service to their guests or engage in community service the way they do. If you want to support a business that is trying to do the "right thing", this is it.

My sister came to visit while we were there and when asked if she could bring anything down from the States for the Lazy Dog Inn, the owners requested environmentally friendly cleaning and laundry products as that is not something readily available in Huaraz. I've stayed at many "Eco Lodges" but this is the real deal with custom made composting toilets (indoors, clean and odor free) recycling, composting, an organic garden and much more.

The owners go out of their way to make sure guests have what they need - great food, transportation arrangements and excellent information for hiking. The Inn is located on a trail leading to the National Park with a wide variety of hiking options available right from the front gate. The owners ( note: Diana is the primary contact at the Inn ) a wealth of information on everything in the area.

The setting of the Lazy Dog Inn is spectacular and remote. If you want quick, easy access to the city, this is not the place for you; as the city is a 45 minute ride via a very reliable ~ $15 taxi ride. But if you want to get away from it all; this is paradise. Quiet mornings, great views, good coffee, excellent (really excellent) food, opportunities for hiking and horseback riding with the owners 8 horses that are very gentle and well cared for.

Every night there is a fire in the fireplace which is delightfully cozy. Meals are taken family style and the owners join guests almost every night so there is ample time to ask questions about the lodge and the area.

If you have children this place is perfect as the Lazy Dog is a large, completely fenced and gated property and the kids can roam freely and explore every nook and cranny without worry. The surrounding area is also wonderful, safe and great for kids. The owner's four dogs are kid friendly.

I'd like to make one last comment in response to something someone else said regarding tipping the staff and staff pay. Another guest was under the impression that the staff relied on tips for a good wage. While I do believe they deserve generous tips,it is completely up to you whether or not to tip. Information is provided in a guest packet to guide you if you choose to tip but I can guarantee that the staff is paid a very good wage (above average by Peruvian standards). Full time staff receive health benefits as well which is not common in this area.

If you feel the prices are too high, consider the fact that in return you will receive excellent service, fantastic fresh food, luxurious accommodations and the knowledge that your money is supporting a living wage for the staff. We believe The Lazy Dog Inn is an excellent value for the money and is an Inn run by caring, honest people. Book it for yourself now!

Room Tip: If you want more privacy and your own fireplace choose one of the cabins. The Cashan Suite also has its own fireplace. That said, all rooms are private and wonderful. The cabins just give you the ability to enjoy a fire separate from the main lodge.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stacy E
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is a great choice to stay in Huaraz if you like a nice place , out of the city with great landscapes, great trails, wonderful food and warm hospitality.
For those who don’t know Huaraz , it is a noisy, kind of chaotic city with amazing surroundings. So, unless you like taxi’s horns or car alarms you want to stay either in the other towns in the valley or in a nice lodge/inn/small hotel further and closer to the mountains. There are only a few that meet this characteristics I found the Lazy dog to meet everything I was looking for.
Nicely located closer to the mountains is more than comfortable to be called a lodge, perfectly decorated cabins with full and large bathrooms , fireplace and enough room for a medium size family are located inside the Inn compound but far enough from the central social area.
The later is basically a country house where everybody gets together at the beginning and theend of the day. The food is outstanding, and if you subtract what you would pay for that kind of breakfast and dinner , the price per lodging comes down to cheap.
The surroundings are just perfect if you like nice views, trails to walk, horses, dogs , sheep , perfect to do anything from just sitting or walking with no plan
Diana, the Canadian owner, English speaker is a wonderful host ready to give the perfect plan for your day , that is usually discussed over the previous day dinner or the same day breakfast. I understand there are options for things to do suitable to everyone from hardcore mountaineers down to a family like mine , with a 4 year old. We actually did a 4 hour walk , to see the other side of the valley , and was perfect in difficulty for my kid , as Diana , the owner, said ( so she knows to fit the right activity for you)
One thing I will mention is that this place is located at least 30 min from the main road , just outside of Huaraz , so my advice is alternate days using the car to go to other places with days staying the full day in the surroundings. Going up and down everyday can be a little tiring, but even that will be worth compared to stay in noisy Huaraz. I understand there are options for those going without a car , and if you are exploiting all the things to do just staying there makes perfect sense. People that was there at the same time and went without a car didn’t mention it as a problem.
Last thing , if you want perfect 3G cellphone signal or want to follow wall street every morning on tv ,or room service , definitely not the place for you.
If you want a burning fireplace, nice conversation, bottle of wine while you see the stars at night , resting from a day watching snow peaks , lakes, amazing views and great experiences . This is your kind of place

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family