“Life-Changing Ayahuasca Retreat”
Review of The Way Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huaraz
The Way Inn
Ranked #12 of 59 Huaraz B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2014

In August of 2012, I was desperate for help and decided to take the Ayahuasca leap of of faith with my teenage daughter. I found The Way Inn through a friend that practices holistic healing. Words cannot express how the experience changed us both. Ayahuasca is powerful ancient plant medicine that needs to be shared in a ceremonial, responsible, knowledgable setting. The Way Inn provides just that. We were both in a fragile state at the time and received extraordinary care throughout our stay. The stunning surroundings, all of the staff, and their commitment to the healing work resulted in an extraordinary shift of consciousness for both of us. My daughter will soon be off to college; a happy, healthy young adult. I credit The Way Inn and loving Mother Ayahuasca.
I returned to a retreat in September of 2013, feeling like I cannot stay away from this new family for too long.
Keep in mind that the retreat work is challenging. Working with plant medicine is powerful, but if you arrive with openness and commitment to change, The Way Inn will provide you with the rest.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Michelle M

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights in this lovely lodge.
For me it was the perfect place to get some rest, walk, think, eat!!! (The food is really good)..
From huaraz a taxi Costa around 50
Soles.
The lodge it self was for me as a backpacker a bit expensive. But on they end it was fully worth it!
It's so beautiful and the People are very Nice and friendly! I felt very welcome:) thank you!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Marieke M
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed here for 8 days in June/July 2013 and it an astounding place - location/achetecture wise utterly brilliant - keep in mind this is a permacultur/spiritual type place built near the top of the andes mountains so if you are the type of free loading, 5 star, whinging, shallow parasite the west is seemingly festooned with these days dont bother staying here as you will undoubtedly "not get it" go live at the holiday inn and eat McDonalds or even better dont bother leaving home in the first place however if you are a traveller with a thread or more of consiousness and intrigue about the world/universe this place could be of very great interest to you - excellent experiance overall, very clean place and the only negative is the ocasional lack of electricity (The place is off the grid with a hydro power plant) so electricity supply is dependent on the flow of water from the surrounding mountains but the semi cold showers were a challange but this is standard for Peru and most of South America unfortunately.
Top Marks!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Smythstar
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Let me tell you about The Way Inn. The owner built it himself, from scratch, over almost a decade, with the aim of creating a modern yet rustic lodge at the edge of the world and a jumping-off point for adventures in the high mountains and beyond. The Way Inn is perched on the edge of a high plateau overlooking the city of Huaraz, and it also sits at the feet of some very tall mountains indeed. The view from the lodge is like a dream I didn't want to wake up from. I sat by the fire for hours staring out over the Andes like a child seeing it all for the first time. It's enormous, it goes on and on, it's basically the entire reason why people travel to a a place like this, because the view itself is better than anything on television.

You can walk out the door of the lodge and ascend right into the rooftop of the world. The day hike to Laguna Churup was a tour of some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen in South America. When I returned, short of breath and exhausted from the walk, I went directly into the sauna, and then jumped into the icy stream flowing just outside the door--exhilarating!

There are several options for lodging at the Way Inn-- a bunkhouse built right into the hillside with some clever engineering around an enormous boulder, providing great insulation from the elements on chilly nights. I believe there's tent camping as well for those on tight budgets. I opted for a private room with a huge bed (down comforter!) with a woodstove at the foot of it. Every detail of these accommodations are expertly observed-- beautiful bathroom for example, and after you've traveled enough in Latin America you really appreciate those kinds of things--and the craftsmanship of the lodge in general is very impressive.

Because of its remote location, there are no other options for meals apart from the kitchen. They do produce some superb cuisine there, though. While its not cheap, it's really not expensive either. I found it all to be fairly priced. You didn't come all this way up from Huaraz to this boutique lodge just to eat granola and crackers, did you? Relax, enjoy the view, take a hike, feel the enormity of the Andes dwarfing your petty day-to-day concerns and putting things back into a larger perspective. They Way Inn is something wholly unique in all the Andes, in my opinion. The owner's a great guy, and he attracts a very diverse and interesting crowd--there is no lack of good company at the lodge, from what I experienced. I can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Dante_Recondo
TheWayInn, Manager at The Way Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I made a reservation at the Way Inn over a month before the Easter holiday. This is a time in Peru when it is very important to make reservations in advance as places fill up quickly. The initial reservation process was simple over email and I received confirmation for my family's holiday to Huaraz.

Imagine my surprise to then receive an email two weeks before our trip cancelling my reservation. When I responded saying that this must be in error and asking what could be done I was informed that nothing could be done and that they were very sorry. That's it. They did not try to find me accomodation elsewhere or assist my family in finding an alternative plan for our vacation. I tried to find another hotel for our stay but the hotels that had been available a month ago no longer had any availability. As a result, our families vacation was ruined because of the Way Inn.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. They are not responsible or dependable. My families vacation was ruined because of them and they seemed to care very little about this. Stay away unless you want the same surprise to happen to you!

Room Tip: Don't make a reservation there! You'll be much happier.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Elias B
TheWayInn, Manager at The Way Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

We are very sorry for the cancellation but there was an issue beyond our control that required us to cancel all reservations. Turning guests away, especially during the important Semana Santa travel holiday was a very painful decision. We would really like the opportunity to make it up to you and your family and invite you to please come stay with us. We would really like to show you how important our guests' happiness means to us.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing and we look forward to your visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

The place is amazing and not that expensive. Meals are a little bit expensive though. Still it absolutely worths it if you plan to stay for a few days. There are plenty of places around to trek, climb, camp or whatever you want to do. People who works there is very nice, friendly and helpful, the views are great. I absolutely adored this hostel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

Our meal prices are higher mostly because we only source the highest quality ingredients. Many times these ingredients are not available locally and must be shipped from Lima (sometimes even further). In the meantime, we are working towards building a sustainable system of agriculture on our land so that we can grow wonderful fresh foods in our own gardens.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you as a guest again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

To start out, I believe the thing that sets this place apart from other B&B's in the area are the accomodations. There really isn't anything like it's comfort level and number of offerings in the area I've seen.

I went in the low season, mid-November, and had quite a memorable stay. I arrived to rain and chilly temps in the afternoon, looking to just stay a night. I had heard it was a quite nice lodge with good access to hikes. Due to the rain, I was skeptical about hiking. As the sun started to go down in the evening, something amazing happened: The clouds and rain started to move out. This allowed for some absolutely gorgeous pictures during sundown around the lodge and of the Cordillera Blanca. I decided that if the weather stayed relatively clear the next morning, I would attempt a close hike.

The lodge was quite comfortable, with a high-output wood stove in the sitting area, along with a loft and kitchen area to relax. Dinner was an extra charge, but very tastey and worth it. I played some board games and had a nice talk with some travelers while winding down. I opted for a stay in the Cave House, a dorm-like accomodation with 15 beds. During the low season, there were only 4 of us there and it was extremely comfortable and quiet.

I awoke to my choice of breakfast and quickly scanned through their guide of area hikes. I chose the Laguna Churup hike due to it's proximity and views. You can read my review of that hike by searching for "Lake Churup" in Huaraz activities. I was able to buy a sack lunch and take it with me. It was a huge meal for the high-altitude climb, and I couldn't finish all of it!

Taxis can take you from town up, or you can opt for a combi most of the way up and walk the rest. It is about a 30 min taxi ride, so it would be quite the walk. The lodge can arrange taxis down, and it is suggested to share with other travelers to lower the cost.

All in all, I wish I had another day to spend at this place. I can't wait to go back for another relaxing weekend in the near future!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Joe N

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again soon!